Review text quality is dropping like a stone

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Foghorn Irrascible, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Foghorn Irrascible

Foghorn Irrascible Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    #1 Foghorn Irrascible, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
    I'd like to think if I'm respectful about this, the thread won't be jumped on or deleted...

Basically, the copy being submitted and published by the new wave of 'reviewers' for TA is just terrible. Grammatical mistakes, textbook misspellings, sentences that just don't make sense... It's embarrassing to read and highlights not only that this new wave of reviewers are not professional writers, but also that TA is either not editing or sub-editing their work, or they are but they've got a similarly lax standard of writing.

Disagreement about what constitutes a good or bad game aside, which I've always had issues with at TA, at the very least the writing used to be good. (EDIT: and still can be depending on who the writer is...)

Now this place often feels like a blog with lots of guest posts.

2. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
  3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Lol, Defred. :D

Well... there are Elvis sightings, Jesus sightings, UFO sightings - and what the crap do we have?
    Defred sightings.
    How... inconvienient.

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    That was another defred account?

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Not Defred. Another senior member who is still in good standing. Not sure why he created a new account for this thread.

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Eli said the Breach & Clear review, which was a punch to the face of the English language when posted, was not the final draft. It has since been fixed (mostly). I do agree the overall quality of writing has declined. I wonder if, with all the new writers, TA might need more editors, or maybe they're hoping their new writers (not all of whom are bad) will improve as they gain experience.

Maybe someone who was banned from commenting on the front page?

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Regardless of the fact that he made a new account for this, he raises a valid point. The B&C review had at least three or four major grammatical issues, not to mention my subjective opinion that it was amateurishly lopsided and didn't provide a clear overview of the entire game, like every review should.

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Not Defred? Oh, ok. Today, it's always the first thing that comes to mind.

But another senior in good standing? Did his main account also got banned?

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

As I said in the other thread, what was published was a very early revision. Wordpress does versioning of all edits, and although its incredibly rare, we sometimes run into issues where another person having the review opened in their browser will auto-save over a more recent version. 99% of the time this is very obvious when it happens as it typically will revert back to a version of the review without media in it.

Either way, it was quickly fixed, and I apologize for the glimpse behind the TouchArcade curtain to anyone it upset. Regarding why this guy is banned, it seems silly to me too.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    No. That's what I meant by "in good standing." ;).

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Nope, that's why SQ0 said "I don't know why he created a new account..." :p

It's mr ed209. Maybe now that the cat's out of the bag he'll talk. It's been said multiple times, he wasn't banned for having an opinion.

12. #12 Connector, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
    This thread is really confusing. So read the edited version here:

http://toucharcade.com/2013/07/22/breach-clear-review-a-clearly-unfinished-tactical-strategy-game/

Wow, harsh review for sure, so are the main points here the gramatical mistakes that were removed, or the harshness of the review?

13. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Am I the only one who read the first post in foghorn leghorn's voice?

14. I dunno Saan, as I stated before, I did not see the original review, so I am just basing on what I am reading. I still can't understand whether the comments here are made for grammatrical mistakes (which seems like a copy error) or the disagreement with the review is for all of the contraversy here.

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Holy crap, mr ed209? Ok, then spit it, mate.
    What exactly are you refering to?

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I've noticed it as well. I imagine handling all of the front page articles is a busy job, but sometimes I wonder if an article even got a single proofread. By and large they're fine, it's just the odd error that sticks out like a sore thumb.