Share you first-ever iOS gaming experience

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by xco, May 18, 2014.

1. xco

xco New Member

Dec 29, 2013
    #1 xco, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
    Well, just wonder how you guys have coped with the touchscreen control, was it painstaking or was it an experience that you might find quite comfortable with?
    My first "true" iOS gaming experience started from Iphone 4, I didn't give the platform much hope as I have heard many people talking about how funky the controls are.
    But after trying the NOVA 1 on Iphone 4, it was surprisingly great :).

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I was moaning at friends when I first saw iPhones saying I wish it had physical buttons. But after playing a few games and getting used to on screen controls I find it so easy now. Specially with platformers

3. It was probably a shmup like a cave shmup since I love shmups, and relative touch rules o shmups, so no worries.

4. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
  5. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Chronicles of Inotia. It was such a grind-heavy game and I couldn't play it today if I wanted to, but back then, it was like, "yessssss".

6. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    On iPod touch 4 with Gun Bros and Solomon's Keep. No problems with virtual controls! And the skills in Solomon's Keep had me going back for more.

7. TA MajorGamer

TA MajorGamer Member

Apr 28, 2014
    USA
    First IOS Experience

Mine was Simpsons Tapped Out, and Xcom. Was overall very happy with both. My only complaint in General would be lack of Game Center messaging, and a good achievement website

8. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Freemuim city builders...

9. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Then after that it was temple run.

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Nazi Zombies WaW on a friend's iPod 4. Blown away that such a little device could run a game like that, a few months later picked up one of my own.

11. Empfmil

Empfmil Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2012
    I heard from message boards and read in magazines that some great and inexpensive games were to be found on Apples touch devices. Once I saw screen grabs of Mass Effect Galaxy I was hooked (even though that game was kinda shite) and bought myself iPod Touch 2nd Gen. Also played lots of puzzle games like Loco Roco and others I can' remember. This was in 2009.

2011 I gave my iPod to a friend and bought an iPad 2. I downloaded Whale Trail when it was new and still its one of my favorite game (seriously that theme song kicks ass!). Also played a lot of Jetpack Joyride, Infinity Blade 2 and King of Dragon Pass.

Today I own an iPhone 5 and iPad Air, buy games like crazy loving every minute of it!

12. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Super Blast (?) a side scrolling vertical shooter and Minigore 1. Those were the days...

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Mine started out when i visited a friends house when he showed me Infinity Blade 1 on his iPod Touch 4. Was really impressed by it, and since i was thinking of buying a gadget for mobile access to emails, skype and other stuff i use at work, i ended up buying a touch 4 as well. Didnt opt to get an iphone yet coz i had a nokia phone that time.

Then the iOS addiction started, sold my nokia phone to buy an iphone 4S, then i had an iPad 3, then an iPad Mini gen1, then now an iPad Air.

Infinity Blade happened yo.

14. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I'd rather forget about my first iOS experience, because the reality is... It has ruined a small part of my life. But I still indulge in this horrible addiction.

15. josh_ando

josh_ando Member

Dec 13, 2013
    2010 - first played Age of Zombies (still a great game BTW) and N.O.V.A 1 on a friends iPod 3rd gen. Bought myself one that night and the rest is history

16. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    My first was Stoneloops of Jurrasica on an iPhone 3G. Eventually, that game got pulled because it was too similar to Luxor, and they were given the right to take it down or leave it. Weird times back in the day. It was a better marble shooting match-3 than Luxor on touch screen, despite my preference for Egyptian theme over dinosaurs (a close 2nd, though).

Another big part of my early experience were Paul Burkey games like Boxikon and Corner Chaos. Somehow I got hooked up with Beta testing for him, and you can find my real name in a bunch of his games on iOS. This was pre-TestFlight, so we did the whole uDID over email thing. A little off topic, but oh, the memories.

17. asd1234

asd1234 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    #17 asd1234, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    i had a nokia n82 n-gage back in 2008 with tons of great games! and, after moving to my first iphone 3G i said "what a back-step!"
    the n-gage/symbian era was a great one for mobile gaming! you had tons of great premium games with a great real-time multiplayer integration. to bad nokia made their biggest mistake by removing the n-gage app and adding that ovi thing... that step was the main reason for their big fall... i was an active member on a big mobile gaming forum/community in 2008 (they had sections for all existing mobile systems with everything related to mobile, not just games and, +all other gaming platforms and everything related to pc, like programs and much more), and i can say, the ios curent gaming can't match the n-gage/symbian era, just my personal opinion.
    edit: in 2006-2007 i start my mobile experience @forums but the solo(not-related with internet gamers comunity) mobile gaming was started since 2003year i think, anyway i start with the first nokia n-gage mobile (the big one)

18. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Saw Infinity Blade II on a demo phone at the store. I remember being amazed that it was actually a playable game and not some tech demo. Once I sliced my first enemy on the IB demo, I was sold. I knew I found something special..and an expensive hobby.

19. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #19 ScotDamn, May 21, 2014
    I seriously thought that n-gage was a prank. It was pretty ridiculous looking as a phone. Pretty cool tech though, for the time at least.

Attached Files:

20. asd1234

asd1234 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    #20 asd1234, May 21, 2014
    most of ios games are a prank comparing to n-gage games. and who cared how the phone looked back in 2003? all that count was what it can offer related to games.

edit: you can find some awarded n-gage +mobile games from past years, when ios wasn't around... @google. one of the best game i ever played in 20 years of gaming was on n-gage platform - reset generation by redlynx. you could even play mp from pc vs n-gage. great fun! really miss that game