Are Gameloft games getting 'too' big?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sainter, Nov 7, 2009.

?

Should games be compressed or left untouched?

1. Compressed

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  2. Untouched

32 vote(s)
    45.1%
  3. Depends on the game

30 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    While Electronic Arts seem to compress their games to around 100mb or less Gameloft have been expanding their games.
    I feel that it's getting to some huge sizes, with games which could probably be 50mb are now 200mb+. For example some of their recent games are:
    The Settlers: 227mb
    Asphalt 5: 245mb
    Dungeon Hunter: 227mb (300+ once downloaded)
    Brain Challenge 2: 127mb (250+ once downloaded)

What do you think of this? Do you think its a good idea or do you prefer the Electronic Arts approach of compressing games, making easier to hold more apps especially on the 8gb devices.

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    It's doesn't matter. I welcome all the more content they want to put in.

This isn't something to complain about.

3. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

#3 Will090, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
    EA's havent exactly been small either Madden, NBA, and Rock Band have all been 100 mb+. Gameloft's are probably more because they tend to be more graphically intensive than EA's (and much better) As an owner of an 8 gb this is a disturbing trend for me, at least it means the games are getting more complex. Hopefully I'll be able to convince myself to buy a 3GS with a lot of memory soon...

4. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

The Settlers is at least twice the size they list it as. I have no problem with big games but at least be close in the information regarding size. Earth Worm Jim was double the listed size as well.

5. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Oh really?
    So it seems Gameloft do compress their games somewhat.
    I wonder what causes the games to be so big because if you look at Asphalt 5 and Need for Speed: Undercover you are getting two games with good graphics, heaps of sound and more but Asphalt is 2-3 times the size of NFS.

6. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #6 S.I.D. CrAzY, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
    The games are fine. I hate the way EA compresses everything, makes the in game sounds sound cheap and old.

They aren't getting too big, your iPod is getting too small.

Edit: Should point out that I'm not talking about all EA titles, just some of them.

7. yrrebeulb19

yrrebeulb19 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Gameloft's titles are just big because they all start with stupid movies.

8. DannyV

DannyV Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Graphic Designer
    This is really nothing to complain about. In fact, I praise Gameloft for making big games. And yes, EA does compress their games a bit too much to the point that their sound quality suffers from it.

9. debtOFskittles

debtOFskittles Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I have 32 gigs basically all for apps so whatever they want to load onto their games they can. This man can take it

YEYAH

10. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    i still have 8 gb iPhone,but big size games don't matter to me
    and i really don't like EA too much compressing their games,i really hate it
    though with Ganeloft's games,my apps should play a battle of survival on my iPhone ;)

11. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I will answer your question with a question:

Would you ask Crytek or Ubisoft to stop making large, but excellent PC games so that you can fit more onto your computer?

12. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Um... the listed size is the download size, not the uncompressed size... fail.

Yeah, the sound effects in EA games generally suck. Especially in Command and Conquer, man, the sound quality in that game makes Jesus cry. :(

13. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    Not This Size Complain Again :(

Getting bigger generally means your idevice games are finally evolving into console-like degree. If I wanna stick with Doodle Jump and Match 3 games all my life, then I'll just download 10-30 mb games and pray all devs that design bigger games will burn in hell. :p

Untouched and even overblown. :D

14. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Um... majority of people expect the listed size to be the same amount of space taken up by the app... otherwise it is misleading, period...

15. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    ummmmm? what u think buddy? iphone and itouch is a game console and not a simple phone
    it's compare with PSP and apple wants to win this game! iphone will beat psp till 2011 year,steve jobs gave us this promise and you see the average of producing iphone games on every week!
    i think gameloft will release this game for psp soon but the screen size of psp is bigger so it should be around 700 mb there
    and both is the same graphic

16. Trotgar

Trotgar Well-Known Member

May 9, 2009
    I've never cared about the file sizes, I just want the games to be good.

Which in Gameloft's case, in my opinion, are not.

I'm going to leave from very potential flame.

17. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I'll say this again: The iDevice is not a real games machine until it can save games in a way that lets you come back to them.

Right now - literally - I have 2 psp's in front of me and 6 memory sticks. I can play old saves any time and in either machine. The older psp has custom firmware and I can run from memory stick. I can backup to any computer. Try that with an iDevice. You can't. So big games = more time investment = more risk should the save be lost. So Gameloft? No, not buying and the same for others. I want to be able to do what I want with my games and not what Apple will let me.

(Restores do not count, they are an entirely different thing)

And please remember that even in this case it is not the size that matters, it's what you can do with it :)

18. riverlake

riverlake Member

Feb 16, 2009
    The Settlers: 227mb = ~700MB once downloaded

19. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Really, your post is out of topic.

20. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

Gameloft should go to TEXAS, where everything is bigger