★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Innovate please!!

05-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Innovate please!!

OK. So, we have a whole new ballgame here. Multitouch gaming. Me, I've got 10 fingers. I'd probably need 4 to 6 of those to hold my iPhone. The rest, I can use to play games. So Where Are The Multitouch Games?? Oh btw, did I mention the accelerometer?

Personally, I know only one game which goes out there and innovates: Eliss. Surely there are more multitouch games out there, but I don't see them.

What I do see: shooters, racers, chopper clones, ports of online games, Tetris, more ports of online games, RPGs, RTSs, etc. etc. Can I say BORING?

COME ON DEVS!! Think out of the box! Do something truly new! One suggestion I've got: Pararena. Ok not a multitouch game but it seems to be perfect for the accelerometer.

/rant off

Or am I wrong? Am I missing the real gems? Anywayz, I felt like posting this. Sorry if I offended anyone.

You play, you win. You play, you lose. You play.

Last edited by Ostinato; 05-27-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typo
05-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Galcon supports 32 fingers!

however... the iphone itself only supports 5 fingers and even then you need to have some freakishly small fingers to handle it effectively.

05-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostinato View Post
OK. So, we have a whole new ballgame here. Multitouch gaming. Me, I've got 10 fingers. I'd probably need 4 to 6 of those to hold my iPhone. The rest, I can use to play games. So Where Are The Multitouch Games?? Oh btw, did I mention the accelerometer?

Personally, I know only one game which goes out there and innovates: Eliss. Surely there are more multitouch games out there, but I don't see them.

What I do see: shooters, racers, chopper clones, ports of online games, Tetris, more ports of online games, RPGs, RTSs, etc. etc. Can I say BORING?

COME ON DEVS!! Think out of the box! Do something truly new! One suggestion I've got: Pararena. Ok not a multitouch game but it seems to be perfect for the accelerometer.

/rant off

Or am I wrong? Am I missing the real gems? Anywayz, I felt like posting this. Sorry if I offended anyone.

post this in the lounge, devs, or upcoming games, anywhere but in the Games that are out and for sale thread.

go back to when the iphone came out, look at those games that came out in July, then compare to now, and tell me there isn't innovation. even go back 3 months from now, and compare the current games. games get pushed further and further everday. if people wanted to see even more innovation, then people need to stop bitching about 4.99 and 9.99 games, and just waiting for sales. innovation = time, in order to make up fro time devs need money.

Boiler Up!
*Hated By Many, Loved By Few*

Last edited by jchampl; 05-27-2009 at 01:32 PM.
05-27-2009, 01:32 PM
@SpiffyOne: Exorcist looks interesting, will check it out.

@jchampl: OK, real sorry about that. I thought this was the right thread, it's not always clear where to post. Feel free to move the thread. I just think it's something worth discussing on this site. Edit: I'd be happy to pay five bucks or more for a game that manages to suprise me like Eliss did.

You play, you win. You play, you lose. You play.
05-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Only so much innovation 70 cents per download can buy.
05-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Quote:
@SpiffyOne: Exorcist looks interesting, will check it out.

@jchampl: OK, real sorry about that. I thought this was the right thread, it's not always clear where to post. Feel free to move the thread. I just think it's something worth discussing on this site.
it's a good topic, just doesn't belong here. it can be confusing where to post, but the subtitles under the forum titles give you an idea of what should be posted here. but it does belong in the lounge.

Boiler Up!
*Hated By Many, Loved By Few*
05-27-2009, 01:41 PM
I agree with you in a way, and as a developer I feel I want to take better advantage of the platform and its power. Now, we dont produce any games, but we are trying to implement game-like features into learning.

At the moment we are working on a big update for our Spanish course, so if you have ideas about exercises or game-like features that you yourself would appreciate in a language-course, we'd be happy to hear them and hopefully we have a chance to implement them - either now or in future updates

iCaramba Spanish Course - Learn Spanish on your iPhone/iPod Touch:
www.iphonespanishcourse.com
05-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Two hidden gems in the App Store at the moment are Jump and Fayju Ball. Neither of them use multi-touch but they both use the accelerometer very well and were built ground up for the iPhone.

Here are some screenshots for each:

Jump

Fayju Ball

Youtube link | Pop Up

There are some very innovative games on the App Store. Although most of them aren't.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
05-27-2009, 01:47 PM
I don't know. I think making games for a giant touch screen device can be pretty innovative by itself. Just the fact that you can tap or drag right on the screen is showing the benefits of this platform. And I do mean benefits. Think about playing Bejeweled on your old RAZR versus on your iPhone. It's the same game, but it's such a nicer experience on the iPhone. Tapping to swap gems is intuitive and efficient.

Meanwhile, I think some of the things the iPhone is capable of, such as multi touch and accelerometer controls, needn't be used "just because". I recently made a similar comment in another thread. I view most accelerometer based controls to be superficial gimmicks that often do the opposite of adding playability. As for multi touch, Eliss is a wonderfully unique experience, and lots and lots of thought were put into making it. I think such gems should be encouraged and welcomed, but also allowed to materialize on their own, without consumer pressure. I'd hate to see a barrage of multi touch Eliss clones just because suddenly they are seen as trendy. I'm also skeptical of the broad appeal of such games. It's nice to have Eliss around for those occasions when you have the time to sit down and use both hands to play a game on a cell phone. But realistically, portable devices like the iPhone and iPod touch are probably more useful when you can use them with one hand.

My point is, basically, that just because the platform is capable of doing certain things, it doesn't mean that it has to or should.
05-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Quote:
So Where Are The Multitouch Games??
I released Pinch 'n Pop in October of 2008 - as far as I know it was one of the first truly multi-touch games, and I learned a couple things: 1). Most people suck at multitouch - they've got no coordination, and they're not willing to practice/learn. 2). People don't buy innovation, they buy the familiar, the nostalgic, and the rehashed.

There are exceptions of course, and I don't mean to sound so cynical but innovating is a big risk in this market.

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: cbox.me Twitter YouTube