Any Backgammon App recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MaskU2See, Jun 24, 2009.

1. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    I use to play Backgammon with my grandfather, many moons ago.
    Wouldn't mind picking up a good app.

Any Backgammon fans that can recommend a good learn and play app?

With hopefully multiplayer via wifi ?

2. I don't know myself. Looked forever. There might be decent ones but I ain't spending $5 to fight out. The $1 ones aren't that great. Only one I play with like 9 games local wifi is Astraware Boardgames. The AI blow chunks and only kids should play but at least you can play 2 play wifi.

3. MaskU2See

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    Looks like Gameloft had one, but its no longer available?

4. MaskU2See

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA

From most of the reviews that i am reading in the app store, they all say the AI cheats by rolling doubles, in most of these games.

5. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    Thats what i found with the one i had. Forget which one it was but i played a half dozen games and the AI constantly got the exact roll it needed. It got deleted.

6. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Every now and again I go and check for a good looking app, but they all look pretty budget.

I learned to play on my DS, which had a game called Clubhouse games, and I really liked that implementation. AT the very least, I'd like it to be like that. I haven't tried any from the Appstore, but none of them made we want to bite (and I just looked this morning).

7. NJ Software

NJ Software Member

Sep 26, 2009
    iPhone app developer
    Backgammon NJ

Hi, I'm the developer of Backgammon NJ, a new backgammon app for the iphone. I happened to come across this thread and wanted to let you all know about it, in case you had given up on finding a good backgammon game. You can read more about it at my website, http://iphone.njsoftware.com.

I do want to comment on one issue that was brought up in this thread, which is the "dice cheating" reviews that you see on the app store. My app, due to its strong play, has evoked a large number of dice cheating accusations. Unfortunately, although I know that my app doesn't cheat and I can prove that it doesn't, there is no way for me to respond to app store reviews. So in the end, the impression that people get is that Backgammon NJ only plays well because it cheats. This problem is not mine alone - every backgammon app on the app store has some number of dice cheating accusations.

What I did in response to these reviews was to add two new features to prove that the computer isn't manipulating the dice. The first feature was to print the random number generator seed within the game and to publish the random number generator algorithm on my website. So basically when you start the game you can go to my website, enter the seed, and get a list of upcoming dice rolls (up to 10000 dice rolls). Then, while you are playing the game, you can check to see that the rolls in the game match the rolls on the list. And when you see the computer get a bunch of lucky rolls, you can look at the list and see that those rolls were simply the result of the random number generator and the seed, and not handpicked by the computer based on the current position of the game. The dice generator source code is also available for people to download and examine/run, so that nothing is kept hidden from the user.

The second feature I added was a manual rolls option. When you turn that on, you get to roll your own dice and enter the rolls into the game. Obviously if you are using this feature, the computer has no way of changing the dice because you are entering all the rolls yourself.

This latest update with these features just hit the app store, and guess what? There's just as many new dice cheating reviews as before! Which is more than a little frustrating because apart from the numerous 1 star dice cheat reviews the app would be rated around 4 1/2 to 5 stars. So that's my story and the moral is: don't believe everything you read in app store reviews.

8. siaccarino

siaccarino Member

Sep 26, 2009
    #8 siaccarino, Sep 26, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
    I've tried every Backgammon App for iPhone. There are only two satisfying Apps:

BackgammonNJ : strong computer player, good usability, playable with stubby fingers, simple appropriate user interface. I think, this is the right choice for ambitious players.

Backgammon Online : only online games, good usability, nice user interface. This is only for ambitious players because there are only very hard opponents.

All other Backgammon Apps have very weak computer players and most of them have miserable usability - not funny.

9. Lord British

Lord British Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2011
    You might want to try Backgammon Masters. Has both single player and online game:
    www.mastersofbackgammon.net