Has my game interface been copied?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Little White Bear Studios, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Guys, pardon if you have already seen this in another forum, but I wanted to get as many opinions as I could. I am the developer of the game TanZen, which is a tangram game with a zen garden theme. My game has been on the App Store for nine months. Here is a screenshot of my game:

[​IMG]

Now, I've had a competitor on the App Store for the last few months. They make a game called Tangram Puzzle Pro. The visual interfaces are not similar, except for the fact that he borrowed my use of a selection ring to rotate the shapes. I'm fine with that, as other games use rings to rotate/manipulate game objects. However, checking their website today, they are now selling a PC game, called Tangram Puzzle Pro: Secret Garden. They have a playable demo, and here is a screenshot:

[​IMG]

They're using a sand motif, and green pieces, which is very similar to my motif. Now, I don't know if that is grounds for copyright infringement/intellectual property issues, but what I do know is the way they've presented the pieces is entirely based on my design. I spent a couple days coming up with that layout, so it would fit perfectly on the limited iPhone screen, and all they've done is flip it.

I feel they are now violating the rights of my game. But before I send them a friendly email to modify their game, I wanted to get some opinions from fellow developers. So your opinions on this would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

It's obviously copied. But how would you play tangrams on a PC? :confused: But anyway, the design is very blatant, and I would definately email them.

3. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks for your response, brewstermax. To play on a PC, you have to click and drag, and it has the same rotation wheel they have in the iPhone version (wonder where they got that idea from :(), so it's another click and drag.

4. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Oh. Well, I would definately look into that. Especially since they are competing with you in the App Store, they had to have seen Tanzen. If they weren't in the App Store, it could be innocent, but there is no way all considered. Email them, and then contact an attorney about possible legal action.

5. That'd be like the person who organized them all in a rectangle to shutdown all the 100's of them that do the same thing. Question you have to ask yourself are customers being led to believe they are getting Tanzen from Little White Bear Stuido on the PC game or are they just getting a tanagram game like hundreds of others which I believe to be the case. Are they infringing up the name? I don't think so myself but friendly email never can hurt or so I've heard.

Attached Files:

• box.jpg
      box.jpg
      File size:
      40.5 KB
      Views:
  6. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    I'd contact a lawyer who specializes in Copyright law first, to make sure you have a strong case and can make sure you take appropriate actions.

7. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Unless I am mistaken.. I believe LWBS just wants to know if he should sent that email.. not hire a lawyer.

Email couldn't hurt to see how they respond.. I did a quick check on google.. the zen garden theme and green pieces seems to be unique. Most are wood... not really sure anyone will think that game is the PC version of your game though.

8. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    The thing is, the rectangle is one of the traditional tangram shapes, which is why it is used so often. It is a complete puzzle, and nobody can own it. However, I believe the placement of the default pieces is unique, and is not something I've seen in any other tangram game (and I've seen a load of them during my initial designing of the game). Regardless, I think the overall presentation (default piece placement, sand garden theme, and green pieces) could be a case of trade dress. And leaving out the legal bits, this is quite clearly a swipe of my design concept. Both our game's reviews contain references to each other's products. It's impossible that this is an accident. They are trying to profit from the most identifiable features of my game.

9. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Well, it would be nice if things could be handled in a friendly manner, but I am certainly considering a legal solution.

10. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks DaveMc99. Yeah, TanZen has a very unique look among tangram games, or at least it did. As I said in a previous post, this may be a case of trade dress.

11. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    I don't know enough about the legal matters.. but are you saying if you created a space mode with metal shapes that no one else should be able to do that?

12. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    #12 Little White Bear Studios, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
    If it is the default mode, and is how most people identify the game, then yes. There are over a million copies of TanZen/TanZen Lite in circulation, not even counting the pirate market. The game has been as high as #12 on the App Store, and has been around for nine months. More than 70,000 people choose to update the paid version of the game every time I do an update, and that number grows each time. The look and feel of my game is key to its sales. That seems like trade dress to me.

Quoting the Wikipedia entry (no, I do not consider it a legal source):

"Trade dress may be either “inherently distinctive” or acquire distinctiveness through “secondary meaning.”[20] Inherent distinctiveness means that the trade dress is so arbitrary or fanciful in relation to the product or entity it represents, that this arbitrariness itself serves to distinguish the product from others.[21] Distinctiveness through secondary meaning means that although a trade dress is not distinctive on its face, the use of the trade dress in the market (the “good will” of the trade dress) has created an association between that trade dress and a source in the mind of the consumer.

Although the law is evolving, as it stands now, product packaging (including packaging in very general terms, such as a building’s décor) may be inherently distinctive.[22] However, product design, that is the design or shape of the product itself, may not be inherently distinctive, and must acquire secondary meaning to be protected."

13. nuggetsman28

nuggetsman28 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    charlotte
    forget bieng kind if they wont respond just email saying i AM filing a lawsuit. they will respond...

14. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I believe I will be contacting a lawyer for the best first course of action. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot here. :)

15. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    What boggles my mind is that they think they can go from their original iPhone design to this design, and not expect me to notice the similarities:

[​IMG]

16. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Yea.... I think you should e-mail them like the guy reccomended.
    If they dont do what you say, get a lawyer

17. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I have just sent the relevant info to a local lawyer who deals with intellectual property, as I'd like some pro advice as to my options. They may just say to send a personal email, but it'd be nice to know all the options ahead of time. Better safe than sorry.

18. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Ever hear of this game? You could win this type of case. :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbo_of_the_Lost "On 12 June, 2008, Publisher Tri Synergy announced they had stopped distribution of Limbo of the Lost while investigating allegations of plagiarism. Tri Synergy said they had no knowledge Majestic Studios used other games' work without permission and said they had contacted Majestic Studios for a response."

19. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Wow, that's pretty bold plagerism! Probably not the case here, since they aren't actually using any of my game's media, just my design concepts, and company goodwill.

20. bit_Jon

bit_Jon Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Artist/Markerting
    Chicago IL
    Don't know if this will help but...

When we were making Block Knights we looked into copyright law pretty hevily since our concept at the most basic of levels was similar to Tetris and we didn't want EA breathing down our necks. We found out three things when it comes to Video Game copy right.

1. The Name of a game can be copyrighted
    2. the original art work can be copyrighted
    3. The original Source Code could be coppyrighted

So unless we stole the name Tetris, their exact artwork or their original source code there was nothing they could do to us. So in your case you would be talking about the art, and unless they got their hands on your Art work and used it I'm not sure if there is anything you can do. A lot of our block shapes resemble Tetris shapes but EA can't come against us because we made it all ourselves. I'm not a lawyer and I didn't have the money to hire one so take all this at face value, but I did do a lot of research and talked with some friends who are lawyers. Hope this helped :D