Off Topic Swing Copters Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by rIcHrAnDoM, Aug 20, 2014.

1. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I'm sure there will be alot of negativity in this thread, but think about it, why wouldn't the dude release more games? He says he loves making them, people love playing them and obviously there's a shit ton of money to be made. I personally didn't find Flappy very entertaining but millions did. I'd personally like to see Dong make something deeper and less gimmicky with his trademark graphics..a platformer maybe.

2. Man, I gotta tell you, this is certainly going to be no Hodappy Bird

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #3 psj3809, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    Why wouldnt he release more games ? Not a problem with that, hes the one who publically seemed to say he wasnt and took down Flappy Bird which seemed OTT.

I must admit i'm not a fan, Flappy Bird was very poor in my view but the masses seemed to love it. Fair play to the dev for making a ton of money, what i didnt like was the whole 'i'm stopping my game, i wasnt in this for the money....' stuff which sounded fake from day 1. 'Surprise surprise' a few months later another game !

I love the old NES style graphics, its just the gameplay bores me rigid. But its an amazing success story on iOS, i'm sure many devs will be annoyed as they put in weeks of work on graphics and gameplay and something this basic comes out and will be a huge hit.

What will be depressing the next few weeks (months) are the constant clones of this game appearing week in week out

4. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I've played it for 2 minutes and deleted it.

5. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for your in depth review:D

6. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    You're welcome :D no need to write a review about a simple game like this. It's boring as hell and the hype is over, at least for me.

7. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    #7 PeteOzzy, Aug 20, 2014
    I kind of have an issue with people saying this. I understand why you think it but it's all psychology and very much, I imagine, to do with depression. He's clearly a troubled guy and the attention he got from his games, both good and bad, must have weighed massively on him.

I can totally empathise with him; I've wanted to quit the site a few times for personal reasons. Posting here can make me as happy as it can depress me but no matter how hard I try to leave, I'll come back the next week. If he loves making games as much as it comes across in interviews then I'm not surprised he reneged. I think people judged a little quickly on this issue forgetting that there's an actual person on the other end of their criticisms.

Edit: This isn't meant as an attack on you or anyone else, hopefully no one takes it that way.

8. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I was a hoping that after the whole Flappy debacle he would release an ad-free $.99 game at least.

9. jerrnej

jerrnej Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Lead Guitar
    Maribor
    Good point.

10. Greatgoat

Greatgoat Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    aah its almost time, the itunes store will be full of flappy clone games such as the flappy swinger, copters flap fap fap, swing flap flappy, fap fapping the flappy bird, bird fapping bird swing, birds gone fapping and many more to choose from on itunes store! i can't wait to buy all of em! i am so flappingly excited. fap fap fap. #

11. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

#11 antony.thai, Aug 20, 2014
    This is crap!

- A feedback from another dev (Pine Entertainment)

Totally agreed on you! Don't take me wrong, I loves Flappy Bird! Just not this one! :)

12. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Looks as boring as flappy bird. Skip.

I could make this with codea on my iPad mini. Hell, some of you guys on this board have enough talent to make this with blankets, cheesies and a whole bunch of Valvetta! The guy lucked out with flappybird, some say not luck he cheated to the top but those could just be jealous freaks, anyway he lucked out with flappybird and then made a huge deal about removing it from the AppStore due to death threats and making too much money. This then caused a whole bunch of publicity. We all feel bad he was getting threats in Vietnam. Course he might have been lying and maybe he is a member of the veitcong mafia. Anyway, all that publicity made it so that when he made a game, everyone is going to make a big deal about it. Even if it sucks, blatantly copies art from Nintendo or has the game play of a flash game on addictinggames. Guys gonna take in the dough, touché Dong touché!

I am not a hater. I am just being honest. If you like it good for you! But this guy is not the most amazing, on this board alone there's talent that boggles the mind! anyways..... I'm sorry if you were really getting death threats and scared for your family, I really am. However that doesn't make your games any better. :/. Go ahead all of you, yell at me!

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

How incredibly tacky to call another developer's work crap, making sure to identify yourself as a developer. The internet sucks.

14. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    The thing is a lot of developers are just jealous of all the success that Flappy Bird generated.

This new game will be successful and vey clever to add an IAP to remove the ads. I don't want to piss on the jealous devs but this new game will generate lots of cash and make the creator wealthy because he has the fan base now while you spent months developing a game that no one downloaded. Get over it but I suspect we will see all types of hate towards Dong and his new game.

Personally the last round of hate towards him sickened me because well persecution is not a nice human trait. It's on par with been racist, a gay basher or genocide to a culture… Maybe this is extreme but my God the guy only created a game that people might enjoy playing.

15. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

#15 antony.thai, Aug 20, 2014
    No No No .... No!

That was coming out from my mouth right after I see the gameplay video :p (which means I didn't touch the game yet). I can't believe that a guy that is so proud of the fact that he can trouble people in Flappy Bird in a funny way but he's now doing it even more in this new game (which the fun is completely gone), compare to tons of other games are currently :)smiling:) in the App Store, spending my time in it is a very very bad choice (from my point of view). & no matter what how big the success of this game is with the big coverage of TA and other medias, this is definitely not something I can actually having fun as a player.

I was so addicted into Flappy Bird cos this game does make me wanna play it again and again. On the developer point of view, I think that I've learned a lot from Flappy Bird as well. I still keep it on my iPod and do play it sometime to generate him the ads revenue... (Just to lets you know I'm have no idea with the "jealous", I have better developer/games as my target to beat than a random mini games or developers)

PS: & my contributing on this thread will help him with downloads as well. :) Congratulation with the launching!

16. Revolvix

Revolvix Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Err was I looking at the right game there? I don't understand. He took Flappy Bird off the App Store because he was concerned that people were being addicted to it, fair enough I thought. Then I watch a panel and there he is talking about a new game he has created which made me think if that is the case it might be something different and unique, you know, not like flappy bird because he thought that game was not good for people.

So I load up a video and.....it's flappy bird but vertical instead of horizontal, although it's not a bird see, it's a helicopter.
    Was this guy just talking out of his preverbial pipe?

17. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #17 Rip73, Aug 20, 2014
    Indeed it does.

It's even worse that people can't see the underlying brilliance of his last game that is echoed in the mechanics of this one.
    And if one is doing what one loves, as the developer of this game is, well, why not do it again?
    It's still just a game but I have to say the reaction people are willing to express on the Internet just proves how bitter, twisted and hate filled the underlying psychology of some of those people is.

"In my opinion this is a very small, humble piece of genius. Flappy Bird provides solid evidence that simply tuning a game well can be far more important, in terms of the player’s ultimate enjoyment, than adding clever mechanics or beautiful art."
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/10/flappy-bird-is-dead-but-brilliant-mechanics-made-it-fly

The sentiment quoted above is echoed by just about every developer I've spoken to, at least the successful ones that are not hindered or influenced by their own circumstance, and the general consensus is that the previous game was perfect for the mobile quick play environment.

Try reading the rest of the article and you might end up with an understanding of what some of the markers of great mechanics design are. It also tackles any of those ridiculous Nintendo clone comments that are floating around so before anyone decides to be judge and jury, read the article, it is far more incite full and provides a far greater level of understanding than any accusatory comment directed at the developer that people on here seem intent to "express".

It may not be to everybody's taste but to hate on the guy or any of his games just shows a complete lack of understanding of game design and the brilliance he displayed by applying those mechanics to a particular genre.
    I hope he does even better off this one.

What's even more amazing is that it is actually free.
    Yes ad supported or 99p iap to remove ads but still essentially free and still people hate on it.
    Didn't people used to support independent developers here before? What happened you people?

18. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Everybody became his clone. Including himself. I wonder how does it feel...

By the way, Flappy Bird was boring and blend in my opinion, so I won't even bother to download this one. "No, thanks" for you, Dong.

19. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Your post is as good and true as that sentiment, chapeau !

20. sulexk

sulexk New Member

Mar 31, 2014
    Excellent :)

Yes, excellent point!