Intro to Tower Defense

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by retr0spective, Jul 5, 2014.

1. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    #1 retr0spective, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    Greetings,

Tower Defense is one of the genres of which I have the least exposure. I would like to request suggestions for games that will serve as accessible introductions for me. I am not necessarily looking for the best or most sophisticated that the genre has to offer, just a few that are fun, engaging, and accessible to the beginner.

Thanks!

2. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    OTTTD is quite cool and it's on sale I belive

3. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Thank you for the suggestion, I will check it out. Is it accessible to the beginner as a good introduction to the genre?

4. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I wouldn't call that a great introduction. Try Tower Madness maybe. It is free with IAP for additional content and is a pretty solid fundamental TD game. The Creeps is another good older one that's free with additional content IAPs and is a pretty good intro to fixed path TD. Those are both older games but honestly most newer TDs try to break the mold and do something new and different in order to stand out in a crowded genre, so they don't really make great introductions.

5. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    Kingdom Rush or PvZ

6. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Gotta agree on this one if we are talking about the FIRST PvZ, because the second is an iAP fest, also I thought that a more tipical TD (OTTTD) would be a great introduction but I forgot that it was hellish frantic so yeah sorry :)

7. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I picked up OTTTD and find it fairly streamlined and approachable, not as "over the top" as I expected. I also tried my hand at Castle Doombad which seems along the same vein as Plants vs Zombies, though set in a tower with traps. I found the wide variety of traps to be somewhat intimidating as many of them appear to exist simply for the purpose of showing quirky images of violence. OTTTD limits options in the beginning and as such seems more accessible to me.

8. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    The two geoDefense games are a great starting point. The first one is fixed-path, the second is open-field. They haven't been updated in a few years, but are still just as good as they were then.

9. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    I agree with db2's comment above - the first geoDefense game was very instrumental in teaching me tower defense, as well as getting me addicted to the genre :)

10. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    As a huge fan of TD games, I recommend the following:

TD Fixed Path:

Kingdom Rush
    Kingdom Rush 2
    Man at Arms TD
    CarrotFantasy (free)
    Bloons TD 5
    Tower Dwellers

TD Make Your Own Path:

Fieldrunners 2

TD Lane Defense:

PvZ (free)
    PvZ 2 (free)
    March on Oz

11. Thanks for the mention Royce! Yes, The Creeps! has been around for a long time, but it is still getting updates. It was designed to be a more accessible TD game. You can do anything in the game with 2 or less taps (build, upgrade, sell, target, un-target). You don't have to worry about things like flying enemies that can only be shot at by special towers. You can do all you building, selling etc while the game is paused (unlike the more hardcore td games).

I'm the developer, so I'm biased. But I think The Creeps! is exactly what you are looking for! :)

12. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Terrific feedback! Thank you for chiming in. I will definitely be checking out The Creeps next, as well as the GeoDefense games.

13. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    You definitely have to try Kingdom Rush. A reigning champ in the area of fixed lane TDs.

14. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    #14 oscar123967, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    You cant go wrong with PvZ 2. You can beat every single level without paying. Theres no pay wall, you get more than enough plant food, every level is beatable without the few iAP plants, and theres more content to come. People say the iAP ruined it, but I doubt they've actually played the game.

15. beachgirl

beachgirl Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Creeps

Creeps is one of the first, and still remains , one of the best TD games. It always stays on my Ipad. Thanks for still keeping it up!

16. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    It doesn't get anymore basic than the original PvZ. Super easy and super awesome. After that go with Kingdom Rush and Kingdom Rush Frontiers. Both are basically the cream of the crop when it comes to TD. There's another that is quite good as well but is probably not a "beginners" TD. I think it's called Tower Dwellers.

17. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    I agree, though it's a very busy and demanding game. You'd be jumping in at the deep end with this one.

Pixeljunk Monsters is one of the best, though there's no iOS version. You can get it for PS3, PSP, Vita, Windows, and Mac OS. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better co-op TD game. Comet Crash is the only possible competitor I can think of.

18. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Really? I find it rather simple and casual, but nonetheless amazing. If he handled OTTTD fine, he can easily handle Kingdom Rush.

After Kingdom Rush, you should play Fieldrunners 2.

19. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Not enough people have tried bloons, clearly. I like it more then kingdom rush. It's unreal

20. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I did handle Kingdom Rush just fine, and the Creeps was enjoyable. The more TD games I play, the more I am returning to and enjoying OTTTD and Castle Doombad.