The Sprint yet another B.I.G. Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by B.I.G Games, May 24, 2011.

1. B.I.G Games

B.I.G Games Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The Sprint is an endless running game where your goal is to run across rooftops while avoiding a spooky monster. But it wont be so easy there are murderous boxes trying to umm.... murder you I guess.

Well here's a quick look at it.

Let us know what you think.

[hqyoutube]bph2kJU0JXA[/hqyoutube]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Geta-Ve

Geta-Ve Well-Known Member

Well, first thing that came to my mind when I saw the images was Canabalt. After watching the video it seems like you guys are trying to mix up their formula a bit by adding another danger to the mix, in the form of a monster chasing the user.

On one hand the huge similarities between your came and Canabalt feel a little off putting. Especially when I take in to consideration the quality of animation between the two games. I think that you should definitely spend some time reworking the animation instead of simply slowing down or speeding up the regular run cycle.

On the other hand I think I understand what you are trying to do, with increased anxiety of being chased the player will feel more frantic about the choices they make of when to jump.

There is really no reason that there can't be two Canabalts, take in to consideration games like Monster Dash and Run!.

At this point however I just don't feel that you have achieved your potential. The monster design does not lend itself well to speed and agility, and, once again, the animation definitely doesn't sell what you're trying to convey.

Keep on truckin' dudes. :)

3. B.I.G Games

Dec 9, 2010
    Thanks for an honest critique. It's a lot more helpful than praise.

I knew the first thing people would think of when they saw the screenshots would be that it's just a Canabalt clone. But the game was actually inspired by a scene from "The Spirit". There isn't much we can do if people just assume it's a clone. I'm happy with the overall look of the game. So hopefully us being 1/3 the price of Canabalt helps :)

Your comment gave me a great idea for reworking the monster. I'm thinking of making him more of a werewolf type guy. The original idea was to make him somewhat like a L4D tank so he would look intimidating, but I agree that he really doesn't reflect the speed that he should.

4. Geta-Ve

Ah, now I know why you chose the red, which is actually a nice highlight on the black/grey background, really helps the main character stand out.

I think reworking the monster is also a great idea, something that represents the speed you intend.

Another idea would be to swap in new monsters every time the player hits a certain speed increase. Start out with slower and bigger characters and eventually work your way up to really lean and speedy monsters.

This way you wouldn't have to totally scrap your tank inspired monster. :)

Good luck sir! :D

5. B.I.G Games

Dec 9, 2010
    One thing I was thinking might be cool is if more and more monsters just kept showing up so eventually you had a horde of guys after you.

6. Geta-Ve

Haha, that would be a great idea. The only pitfall would be making sure all of your monsters silhouettes are still clear. Could be really cool though, have some airborne creatures, maybe even a couple of monsters that crawl along the sides of the buildings... Only limit really is your imagination.

:)