In App Purchases, tied to device or iTunes account?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by gospel9, Nov 2, 2009.

1. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    I am still not sure on this one as I have yet to try it yet.

But I have an iPhone 3G and it's going to be replaced with a 3GS. Do I have to purchase the in-app purchases again? (So is the DLC content tied to the device itself or the iTunes).

2. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I'm pretty sure it is tied to your account- otherwise how would they resolve this if your phone breaks, or in your case, an upgrade?

3. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    AFAIK It`s tied to your iTunes account. Though consumable items (like energy in Eliminate) will only be activated on one device and once per purchase only.

For stuff like Extra maps in Command and Conquer and extra levels in Rolando 2, you can download on all the iDevices which use your iTunes account.

4. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Thanks for the responses!

Time to buy some DLC stuff... :) (No, not consumables)

5. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    Btw, I haven`t yet bought any DLC stuff myself. What I said is what I gathered from these forums only. So if you go on a shopping spree and it turns out it`s not re-downloadable or tied to a single device, dont come running after me :p

Just give it a try first and update here if it works for all the devices or not :)

6. Freegoo

Freegoo Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    #6 Freegoo, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
    I'm pretty sure it's tied to the device actually. I'm 90% sure I had to buy the subscription to Billminder again after upgrading to the 3g ipod.

Edit: I never checked in my Itunes account to see if I actually got charged, but don't recall a "This update is free..." message or anything.

7. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    That really sucks. Still I think a subscription could be defined as a consumable only. Anyone has any experience with other stuff like maps or levels?

8. Freegoo

Freegoo Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Never mind, I just checked and bought some tap tap tracks on my old ipod and it DOES give the free message update afterwards. So buy with confidence, sorry for the confusion.

9. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    Cool. Thanx for clearing it out :)

10. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

In-App purchases are tied to your iTunes account and assuming they're not consumables, you can 're-purchase' them for free at any point if they get deleted from your device or if you move devices, essentially the same as apps.

Consumable items are different and only count locally. It depends on how the app is storing them as to how transferable they are, but generally you should count them as non-transferable.