Starbase Orion - Competitive 4X Turn-Based Space Strategy

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by KittyMac, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KittyMac

KittyMac Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    #1 KittyMac, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2011
    UPDATE: Stargate Orion has been released, so this "upcoming" thread is closed.

New thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=109751

----

Starbase Orion is a 4X TBS game inspired by the likes of Master of Orion II and Galactic Civilizations. While Starbase Orion provides a robust AI and a gratifying single-player sandbox experience, the game design is heavily focused on multiplayer play. I plan on updating this thread with new stuff as time to release draws closers (new images, gameplay videos, etc). Enjoy!

http://www.chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/

More on the vision behind the game
    Descriptions of the races
    Listen to the original music

Alpha Release Screenshots
    content may change prior to final release​

screen1.png screen2.png screen3.png screen4.png screen6.png screen8.png screen9.png screen11.png

Designing The Fleet:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. floyd

floyd Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Looks awesome. I'm eagerly awaiting this. So I take it this is universal?

3. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    TEll us more!,

4. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    Yes, definitely.

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #5 Ayjona, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
    I'll buy the living daylight out of this as soon as it hits, and I'll be gifting the stuffing out of it to all those of my iOS-enabled friends who are to cheap to buy it themselves.

I'm struggling to recall: is this the multiplayer space strategy title that was featured on TA' front page quite a few months back (and that had me just as excited as this)? I seem to remember something along the lines of a monthly fee for that game, so perhaps I am mistaken.

6. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    You are thinking of Empire of the Eclipse. Their developers can step in to correct me if I'm wrong, but it is a $2/mo subscription fee 4X RTS MMO (ie, you start a ship building and its some number of real hours later it gets built).

Starbase Orion is the polar opposite of that, featuring asynchronous turn-based matches of up to four players. It will also be a single fee application, with no IAP or subscription fees.

This fall is looking to be a great time for fans of 4X space games! :cool:

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ah, right! I've been waiting for Empire of the Eclipse like almost no iOS title before (a proclamation that might be slightly marred by the fact that I could not remember the name ;) ), but Starbase Orion has got my attention in a way that rivals even Empire, if not more so.

It is my belief that asynchronous and constantly available gameplay is iOS' biggest gift to gaming, and possibly the beginning of a paradigm shift in interactive entertainment. Starbase Orion looks like an addition to that (still rather sparsely populated) genre that might be leading the charge before too long.

8. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    This dev knows how to announce an upcoming game. Screenshots, video, and a few links. I'll be watching this thread for more updates, and best of luck to you.

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Looks excellent; can't wait for release.

10. williamsyee

williamsyee Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    SQA
    Malaysia
    The graphic looks great! :)

11. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    Jason has done a spectacular job designing the various fleets in Starbase Orion. Here's a little showcase of his designs from concept sketches, to final in-game versions that are used in the ship designer and in space combat for the Isather.

(Click for hi-res image)
    from_concept_to_creation_isather.jpg

Enjoy!

12. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Nice. Can you say more on it?
    Will there be races with different research and trees and diplomacy settings?

13. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I do!

14. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

All good decisions ... and the reasons why you'll be getting my money instead of the other guys.

15. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    I have a few design-focused articles already in the works. Will cover a wide range of topics: map generation, research, diplomacy, ship design, combat, spying. The first one should be ready for release next week.

16. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
  17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The more is revealed about Starbase Orion, the more excited I get for the game. It currently tops my waiting list together with Bug Heroes Quest and Empire of the Eclipse.

18. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    "The Cyban, I imagine, don’t tinker so much as they perfectly refine what they’ve already found to work, so I wanted the progression of each ship class to feel like the logical extrapolation of the previous class. Beyond that, I didn’t think too much about the Cyban as much as I just started laying down ships that I thought looked cool; and then thought, for the next ship in line, ‘what would make this even cooler?’ In retrospect, they became sort of an edgier version of the Borg, with maybe some Cylon influences tossed in."
    - Jason

from_concept_to_creation_cyban.jpg

http://www.chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/?page_id=184

19. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I now hope this project gets fully done!

20. DarkShadoe

DarkShadoe New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    This is why I will also be giving you my money and gifting this to friends as well! :)