Polygon Evolution - Coming on the 12th of June

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Alex Dantis, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex Dantis

Alex Dantis Active Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Polygon Evolution is a core, combative reinterpretation of match-3 game mechanics mixed with an abstract, colourful art style.

So, why make yet another freemium match-3 game? Isn’t the App Store already filled with those? Well… not really. I wanted to make a puzzle game that feels more like chess than bejewelled, a game where you would feel in control and where the random number generator wouldn’t have much influence on the play session. And, I wanted to make a game where you would be up against an opponent, a combative puzzle.

The idea for this game started while playing with Otomata for a game jam. I got really interested in procedurally generated music and I wanted to make a grid based game where each cell would contribute to the soundtrack. I quickly realised that the Triple Town mechanic of cells combining to form higher level ones was a perfect match because this way you get a grid that “evolves” and with that so does the sound-scape. But there were quite a number of elements that I wanted to add to the gameplay. So, 4 prototypes later I decided on the main game rules and today, after many months of work, I’m proud to announce that Polygon Evolution is going to be released on the App Store and the Google Play Store on the 12th of June 2014.

Sorry for the long post, I hope I’ve sparked your interest in my game and I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

2. Alex Dantis

Mar 20, 2012
    I'm offering a sneak-peak of the game to a limited number of users. Get a promo code from this link and let me know what you think.

3. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I love the music, art, and design of the game. Unfortunately the match-3 mechanic was inconsistent for me making the game unplayable. I could lay out a half dozen dot pieces side-by-side and they simple would not match up to form a line. Sometimes this would work and sometimes not. This game would be very enjoyable with a fix to the gameplay mechanic.

4. Alex Dantis

Mar 20, 2012
    Wow, sorry to hear that. To make cells connect they have to be in a straight line so either top-bottom or on one of the diagonals. I'll try to maybe emphasise this a bit more in the tutorial. Anyway thanks for the feedback.

5. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I must have missed that - it makes perfect sense now. I'll give it another go.