Pixel Boat Rush (by XperimentalZ Games) Beta Testers Needed!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by XperimentalZ, Jun 30, 2013.

?

How Much Would You Pay For Pixel Boat Rush?

1. I'll pay 3.99$ or more!

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. I'll pay 2.99$!

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. I'll pay 1.99$!

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. I'll pay 0.99$!

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. I'd like to play it as a Freemium game

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  6. I'm not sure yet if I'll buy it, I'll see.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Won't Buy: the game should deliver more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Won't Buy: not my type of game

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    #241 oscar123967, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    The new effects are pretty sweet! I love the effect where your gun spits out dust when you dont have ammo hahah.

The AI seems perfect now. Not too easy, not too difficult, I still need to buy boats, and I still need to upgrade. Awesome!

The tilting seems a bit "ehhh". Its feels like its not necessary, plus the tilting seems a bit hard to use. Its a bit too sensitive and it feels as if the boat takes too long to tilt. Its just something that I could probably get used to I guess, but I won't because the auto feature makes things way easier. But I don't see a reason to remove it, I'm sure some people will have a use for it. Plus its not the default option. I'd say keep it.

----------------

What do you guys think about putting the Bosses' pictures/names on the class icons in the "Events Class" menu. Such as having a picture of Raft Punk/his name/the class letter on the icon. I know the icon maybe a bit small to fit it all, but if you guys use the idea of making it a swipe menu (having to swipe from class to class - like the boats menu & events menu) I'm sure it'll be much easier since you can cover a larger part of the screen with the icon :). I recommend this because I forget that the events are based on a boss. Every time the boss's dialogue comes up I'm like "oh yeah, the boss, forgot about him".

an indicator/marker on who is the boss during the championship race would be nice too.

You guys should just name the "Events Class" menu to just "Class" or "Classes". Or even "Cup(s)"

It would also be neat to see the feature to hop from class to class in the shop.

In the National Events menu I recommend replacing the boat select icon with a screen shot of a section & name of whichever map the event is on. After that menu it'll take you to another menu where you select your boat. Here you can select the class, buy upgrades, and view the stats of your boats.

Adding an interactive tutorial, instead of having the first license being the tutorial. Just a short 3 player race that'll show you when to break, how to accelerate, how to shoot, how to mark for revenge (if you do add it ;), nice idea btw!). It'll pause the game when its showing how to do something. This should be the first thing the player does when they open the app for the first time.

These things are probably not top priority right now, but I think they're nice ideas :p

Tweak:
    The weapon that slows you down should have a shorter range.

On a side note, just got to class A and I just want to say the second abilites makes the game a lot more fun!

2. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah it's a bit late to re-engineer stuff from the bottom. If you knew how much time it takes to make a menu from ground to top you'd cry.

After reading your remark I noticed that after swapping weapons around ships, there was 3 ships in a row with the stunner. Brought it down to 1, that should do the trick.

3. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    Hahah, I know what you mean. They're just cosmetic ideas anyways, not adding them won't affect the game what so ever. :D

Sorry for the loads of comments I make, I am just really passionate about this game lol. I'll go ahead and focus on important aspects of the game for here on out

4. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Oh no, it's important for testers to express what they feel they should. Even for stuff we can't do, it can inspire other tweaks or modifications in distant future. Just didn't want to create false expectations.

5. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Just added a new type of weapon, torpedoes :D.

Also tweaked missiles so they explode when hitting water.

Soon we'll also have a countdown mechanic at the beginning of races. On a good start, you'll get an acc boost and on a bad start, a penalty.

6. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    Sweet!! Glad you guys added the countdown

7. Doom

Doom Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Working for the man
    Northeastern California
    Here are some notes from tonight..
    All gold in license
    Class C
    Boat-Old Spice
    Fully Upgraded
    Race 1-6 gold
    Race 7-9 silver
    Race 8 just can't catch Black Bird with this boat..about an average of 3-4 seconds behind.
    Was able to get gold in 7-9 with Grim Lantern at halfway upgraded.
    4148 coins not spent.
    #
    Class B
    Boat-Luxor
    Fully upgraded
    Race 1-5 gold
    Race 6 bronze
    Race 7 silver
    Race 8-9 bronze
    Bought Arc 4
    Race 10 bronze-note-experienced the slow down bug 4 times in this race...it is not in my mind..boat just quit forward motion..no apparent cause.
    Race 11 gold
    Race 12 bronze
    Went back to race 6 to get gold..slow down bug 2 times, got mad and bought Rider boat.
    Experienced slow down bug with all boats..
    Taking a break for now..

8. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    That's a weird bug, I really wonder what this is. Can't reproduce is on our end so it's hard to track.

9. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    Its not the stunner? Or maybe just sweaty fingers? I cant recreate it either

10. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    From what I get, it's like if his accelerator went off and he has to release the screen and touch again to re-accelerate. If it's device related, it might have to do with retina on iPad for some obscure reason.

11. Doom

Doom Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Working for the man
    Northeastern California
    That is exactly what happens..will try on phone asap to make sure it's only on iPad..surely I've played this game enough to notice that it is my iPad and not my fat fingers.. Heh

12. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    #252 copaeci, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    I have minor suggestion here. I wish you can add player position bar in the future like in the picture. Also, I like that warning sign too, so we can aware if there'll be rocks in front
    [​IMG]

13. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah I think you were the first to mention this. We'll get there eventually :D. Perhaps we'll manage to try something for the next build.

14. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    Not really encountering any other issues, aside from the ones I've already mentioned.

15. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    We're now completing a big series of additions, which should lead to the last major build of the phase 2. The list will include things like:

- Racing Lights (at the start of games)
    - Minimap
    - Showing up the actual speed on the speed gauge
    - Added warning signs before rocks
    - Revisited the stick mechanic to dig on the intended similarities with electric mini-track racing. Boats now stick to the end of the wave when they manage to reach the apex of a wave without shooting off. Overall, they just feel more sticky.
    - Overhauled the conversations visuals
    - Revisited the class C licenses and tutorial discussion in order to explain the game mechanics more explicitly
    - Lots of visual upgrades, like on gun effects and bleachers (see the pic below)
    - 6 new gun types (like boomrang, rear grenades, tomahawk, beam gun, etc)

[​IMG]

All 4 champions have now been created and they have their own boat

[​IMG]

Soooo, the build should be available in a few days. From there, we'll be gearing-up for the class S content and the final beta wave!

:D

16. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    Thats great! Getting closer and closer to launch, so exciting :D

17. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah it's been a long road and an amazing trip. We're still aiming for an August/September release.

18. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    The build 0.9.0 is now available!

The core race mechanic has been revisited even more deeply than anticipated. This is a major change. I think that this was the missing piece but hearing your feedback would be very important.

19. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    #259 oscar123967, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    I am really digging the new breaking mechanic. Races feel more smooth and fast paced now. It feels really solid so far. I'll leave a few more comments later on tonight.

I'm sure you guys are aware of this but this happens most of the time when you enter the race menus
    [​IMG]

Also if you're in the B races menu & tap the shooping cart then tap the racing flag, it'll redirect you to the class C races menu despite you were originally in B

20. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah the conversations are totally bugged, we'll try to make an update soon!