App Ranking compared to sales

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Revapps, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Revapps

Revapps Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I want to do a quick study to figure out the app ranking compared to sales. I know that many like firemint and ifart released their sales figures but they still do not help much. That data is also at least 6 months old. If you guys are interested then please either post any info that you might think would help or you can send it to me in a private message. I just feel its something that needs to be known to developers and would help market their app better.
    If you want to help then please do the following.

For Example:

11/1 Hanidoku sold 30 and was ranked 23 under puzzles and 25 under strategy
    11/2 sold 24 and was ranked 30 under puzzles and 33 under strategy
    and so on, any info could help and I will try my best to gather all the info and release it so we can all try to benefit from it

2. jaguard

jaguard Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    It doesn't change much, though the new year and Christmas is coming, so it's probably gonna increase slightly.
    You still need about 700-800 sales a day in USA to hit top-100, and about 2000 for top-25. #100 in Games category will get you 300-400 sales.

3. cando

cando Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009

Thanks for sharing your data...
    so is the data for USA or Japan?
    Also were ur sales much higher for the week or 11/1?
    Coz according to my estimates you need to sell around 100 copies to get a rank of 33 in strategy

4. Revapps

Revapps Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    That is the problem, I can't seem to figure it out. I had posted before the same thing as far as numbers

I sold one day around 10
    the next day I sold 32 and got to number 23 under puzzles, 26 for strategy
    then I advertised and sold 139 or so and stayed at around number 23
    then I sold 24 and was still in the 30 range
    then I started to slip as did my sales

All this is in the US store, if you could post one week of your sales compared to rankings, that would be nice

5. cando

cando Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Hi Buddy,
    Here is an article I found for ya.
    Check it out: http://tii.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=522655#
    Apple seems to do a weighted average:
    "peak day for sales did not match up with the peak day for app ranking"

6. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Also I think positions 26-100 are much easier to get than positions 1-25. Once you get in the top 25 of a category you really need to start getting much higher sales to keep moving up.

7. I'm not sure why that article doesn't simplify the formula a bit to make it more clear. But he's saying basically:

(4D1 + 3D2 + 2D3 + D4 + D5 + D6 + D7)/13

I don't keep track of my games' sales / rank daily. But I can say from casual observation that Zombie Karts was selling 110+ a day when it was ranked around 24-29 in racing games. Sales have dipped to < 50 a day lately on average, and it's ranked 42-48. I can also state that about 20 a day puts you in the high 80s in racing and < 10 a day you won't be ranked in the top 100.

8. cando

cando Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Apple may have change the algorithm a bit. The link I gave you is a little old (or may be not) :)

I would recommend you using this tool to track your ranking: http://majicjungle.com/news/?p=19

Btw, really nice game there! And ,yeah, awesome graphics.
    I see you made good use of torque2D game engine :cool: