iPhone M.U.S.E. - 3rd Person Action Shooter **COMING SOON**

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by thecabster, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

What interface do you like most for touch devices?

1. Dual joysticks with no auto-aim.

52 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. Dual joysticks with tap auto-aim.

16 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Touch to create waypoint with auto walk.

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Single joystick with tap to auto-aim.

13 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. thecabster

thecabster Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2010
    C.E.O./Co-Founder at Lab Rats Studio
    RDU, NC
    #1 thecabster, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
    M.U.S.E. is a third-person 3D shooter for mobile devices that features a strong single player story mode with high octane cover shooting, immersive comic book style cut-scenes, destructible environment objects, and an arcade style scoring system that players can compete with their friends in Game Center leaderboards.

You play as Sid Tripp, a government agent working for M.U.S.E. to hunt down and eradicate the maniacal and technologically advanced nemesis “The Brain.” The nemesis has been building an army of robotic enhanced soldiers to carry out his plan of chaos and world domination.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #2 drelbs, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
    Best actually is a movement joystick, swipe on the screen to look, tap (and/or hold and drag) fire button to fire (and look while firing).

Allow the UI elements to be moved around.

[​IMG]

Here's The Infinity Project. I moved the fire button to the middle so I could use the lower-right area for looking around.

Swipe weapons left/right to change and tap grenades to throw, er... grenades. :eek:

3. JJdaboss

JJdaboss Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    I like this teaser

4. iFanzine

iFanzine Well-Known Member

Me too! Lookin' forward to this one :)

5. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    OMG this game sound awesome can't wait for more info!!!!!!!!!!

6. thecabster

Nov 9, 2010
    RDU, NC
    #6 thecabster, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
    M.U.S.E. Update

City pic has been revamped

7. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    This looks exciting!! Keep posting more ...will you do any beta?

8. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    I like this project more and more each day...........lol

9. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    Wow. That looks pretty good. I want more info now though...

10. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I don't like any of the control methods in the poll. As drelbs said, there should be an option to have a joystick for movement and swipe the screen to aim, with a fire button (and no auto aim). And you should be able to move the buttons around the screen, just like Infinity Project and Gameloft's FPS games.

11. Pretty much this. I didn't see an option for this so I didn't vote. This is what most of us I think are used to when it comes to an FPS, so I think this is what should be seriously considered at least as an option.

Whatever the choice, the idea is to not require the player to move their hands all over the place. The player should be able to do everything required within reason with just their thumbs, and without having to stretch too far.

12. TooTinyMan

TooTinyMan Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Over there --->
    I agree. That's really the only way I can feel comfortable with any kind of shooter.

13. thecabster

Nov 9, 2010
    RDU, NC
    Thank you guys very much for your responses to the control scheme issues. At the moment we have two joysticks, the left controls the player movement forward and backwards and strafes left/right, the right stick controls the players aim and with double tap fires your weapon. There is also a button above the right joystick that locks on to your closest target that will be vital in boss fights. The auto lockon button can be turned on or off depending on the players preference. We like that it gives the player the ability to run and shoot while still controlling the player's aim. We are considering adding the swipe to aim your character in a general fashion while the right joystick fires on touch and controls the aim. Any feedback on this approach? I will upload a shot of the UI soon for reference, also stay tuned for more screenshots of the game environments and characters...

14. Allow a lefty configuration. I prefer movement on the left and swipe/actions on the right. I'm really not keen on a dual stick setup, especially if it requires a double-tap to shoot. That opens the door to both accidental shots, and not getting shots off properly if you don't double-tap properly or in the right place. Keep in mind how easy it is for one's thumbs to drift off the control area in a virtual control setup. This is why I feel a swipe-and-action-buttons method works better; making pretty much the whole screen (outside the buttons) your look control reduces the risk of drift. It also allows for much more precise aiming which would obviate the need for a lock-on button.

15. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #15 LBG, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    Agreed. I think the majority of gamers prefer the control method with one virtual stick on the left for movement, a fire button on the right, and any empty screen space to be used for aiming. Also a sensitivity option for the aiming is a must. I like to play iOS FPS games with the highest sensitivity.

edit - Here is an example. This is the default control scheme in Gameloft's FPS games, and it seems to be the control scheme that most gamers prefer.

[​IMG]

16. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Yes, look at Modern Combat 2. That has the best FPS controlls in the AppStore at the moment in my oppinion. Also, one thing that annoys me in Battlefield BC 2 with the gameloft-style controll scheme (I think it's option "c" there) is that you can't walk with the virtual stick AND aim in the area arround it (left side).

17. Austinplaya

Austinplaya Member

Dec 16, 2010
    iPhone please

I realize this game with all it's glory will look best on the iPad, but adding an iPhone could potentially triple your sales, as a lot more people have iPhones and iPods than ipads

18. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    It will also be released on the iPhone & iPod Touch.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=73123

19. thecabster

Nov 9, 2010
    RDU, NC
    M.U.S.E. Update

New screenshot of the alley way area in our city level. More to come...
    [​IMG]

20. TooTinyMan

TooTinyMan Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Over there --->
    The building on the left really is leaning over a lot. It still looks good, but it's kind of weird.