Developing separate iPad iPhone versions vs. universal apps

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by NickFalk, Jan 31, 2010.

?

Would you prefer separate iPhone/iPad apps or one app for both gizmos

1. I don't wanna pay extra for an app I've already purchased for my iPhone!

23 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. I rather pay to save space on my iPhone and have a "proper" iPad app.

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. I don't care either way.

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I think it's important for us to not to get too caught up with the 10MB network limit or the app sizes. If we look to the very near future, that 10MB limit will most certainly increase, either this year or the next, as cell networks are upgraded to LTE. And flash memory in these devices will quickly multiply too.

So I believe the ultimate answer will be to have a universal app for both devices. The larger size *could* be an issue for some users, depending on the game. I do like Anders idea to get around that in the mean time, but if Apple doesn't implement that, it may just mean users need to be more proactive about organizing what content to keep on their iphone/ipod touch at any one time.

I don't like the idea of separate apps for the separate devices, or upgrading to an iPad version over DLC. Mainly because I know a lot of non-tech owners won't have a clue about doing that and will likely just run the app in 4x mode.

2. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    #22 Little White Bear Studios, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
    Being under 10MB earns many devs a lot of money every day. None of us trust ATT to change a thing anytime soon. For me personally, it's the difference between paying the bills, and not paying them.

3. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    Forget the download limits, there are a lot of 8gb device owners who will lose out if every major app doubles in size because of graphic data they will never see!

4. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Probably more like 3-5x, actually.

5. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    +1 to this solution; it's a win-win for both the developer and the consumer.