Wolfenstein Clones

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by allenp, Mar 25, 2009.

1. allenp

allenp Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Information Architecture
    Hanover, NH
  2. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    I never thought about that, someone will edit the game and resell it most probably but it's a rather old fps engine.

3. oioioi

oioioi Member

Mar 5, 2009
    the enemies in this game is only 2d spirits, right?

4. MattH

MattH Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2009
    I wouldn't think you could use the art from it..

5. oioioi

oioioi Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I meant that it would probably be hard to use 3d models as enemies in that engine. The graphics in Wolfenstein doesn't look very good compared to other iPhone games

6. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I don't think they can do this. The engine source code is GPL'd, not the game assets (artwork, sprites, etc.), so I don't think that any other entity other than id or those with express permission from id can use those in game assets.

The most someone can do is take the engine and create entirely new assets and use it for their own game.

...I think. Could be wrong.

But it makes sense. The Quake III Arena engine was also made freely available, but id shut down anyone trying to port over Quake III Arena to this platform as they will be doing that themselves, and the assets in that game other than the game engine are still wholly owned property of id software.

7. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    BTW, for an example of what one could do with a modified Wolfenstein 3D engine, look no further than Rise of the Triad, which ran on a modified Wolfenstein 3D engine

8. MattH

MattH Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2009
    You know I think starting out with an engine is better than starting from scratch. Maybe you have less control but why Reinvent the wheel in most parts of game development. I would be kin of mad though if people were to do very similar wolfienstein like games with the same plot and all.

I worked on a FPS (DMD) using Unity3D Engine IPhone Edition (shamless plug). Its not the wolfienstein engine, but it is a 3D engine :) Should be out soon, check sig!

9. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    is this already out if it is post link

10. inferi22

Jan 11, 2009
  11. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    He means a modified version of the DOS Wolf3D engine, not of the iPhone one. Rise Of The Triad came out in 1994 :D

12. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    inferi...Rise of the Triad is an old game released some years ago. Used a heavily modified Wolfenstein 3D engine.

Here's a vid:

It added some lighting effects and platforms/upper levels to the game as well as a sky texture. Also ran a clip faster iirc. But I'm bringing it up as an example of how one could modify an existing engine to make it something a bit different.

I'm pretty sure I recall the Quake engine being used in games that weren't straight up shooters too. So one could probably do the same with the Wolfenstein 3D engine. One could take it an make an RPG, or an adventure game or an action/adventure game. Heck, I've seen a video of a Sonic platformer made using a modified DOOM engine, so the only limit is the ingenuity of the developer taking the existing code and modifying it, and, of course, how much the code allows for modification.

13. inferi22

Jan 11, 2009
    any news for someone porting maybe it's open source idk I never heard of the game before now

14. spamboy

spamboy Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    For some strange reason, that game looks UGLY. Yes, I know it's from 1994, but I prefer the graphics of Wolfie and good ol' Doom.

Just to clarify, Carmack did say that anyone could use the engine - they just have to make new assets.

15. inferi22

Jan 11, 2009
    just waiting for werefranken3D with the only difference being pixilated cloud as sky. can anyone compile source code for me my udid is : bad784e66c837a295fad885af30c4cdcc248c148 just pm it back to me