New iPad - Are you getting it?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Sanuku, Mar 7, 2012.

?

Are you getting the "new" iPad?

1. Yes on the Launch Day...

27 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. Yes as soon as Infinity Blade: Dungeons will get released...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I`ll get an iPad 2 because of the Pricedrop instead...

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. I won`t get it because i have just bought...

12 vote(s)
    20.3%
  5. I don`t care about it. I`ll wait for the iPad 3 next Year...

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    you buy two and i come by next week.. don't forget to update the apple tv too ;)

2. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

No, considering there's cheaper tablets in the galaxy that suit my needs better the iPad refresh has done little to rekindle my interest.

3. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Yes! As soon as I can get my grubby little hands on one. Damn apple for choosing march 16 as the release date though. My friend is flying back home from US on march 15. Missed it by a day! Now I'll be waiting for a month possibly :/

4. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Doubtful.

1) I really want to see some benchmarks on how well that new graphics subsystem is going to drive 4x the pixels.

2) A year later, I'm still not seeing much take advantage of the iPad 2 for graphics and complexity. Some apps, yes but not as many as I'd like. This may also be a function of the app store model. If so, then there may never be much of the level of complexity that I prefer.

3) I wonder how up-scaled graphics are going to look? It will take a year to get things shifted over to the new iPad display size, and in a year apple will have another better device out.

4) iOS gaming seems to be on a bit of a downswing.

5) With the economy (and gas prices) I need to watch my spending more than I ever have.

Personally, I think I'm going to spend my iPad 3 money on another piece of gear that I've been lusting over.

I may buy one in a few months, but I don't think I'll look for one in March.

(Caveat: Unless my wife *really* wants my iPad 2.)

5. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    NOPE! I'm a major apple supporter but this 'new' iPad is a pathetic display of product "innovation" Bump up the specs a bit, add iMovie/iPhoto and give it 1080p video recording...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
    zzzz..

zzzzz..

oh and it doesn't have siri...

6. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Good, imo. No one I know has found Siri creeping into their life and becoming irreplaceable.

As for the iPad - maybe. Probably, but only once I can comfortably afford it without having to take out a loan.

7. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    Every major app is hit or miss depending on the demographic. Plenty of people use Siri everyday, myself included. Siri needs lots of work already, let alone iPad integration.

I heard rumours the new Apple TV would have Siri...

8. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Your like a secret agent spy, can anyone pin down where he lives? We now know its not an initial ipad3 launch country :D

9. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    I will get ipad3 next year . I think that this will be the one to really exploit the retina display

10. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Lol. I'm in India. Thought most people who knew me here knew that much already. No need for stalking me online now :p

11. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #12 GoofyJmaster., Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    H-E-double-hockey-sticks no!

I'm going to get a windows 8 tablet later this year. It'd be awesome if I could have both a Win8 tablet and an iTouch 5, but who knows if that'll happen.

We'll get some dumbed down version of the iPhone 5.

*Yes, I'm being cynical.

12. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    I've got an iPad 2, $500 for a retina screen and a faster CPU isnt worth it for me.

I see "the new iPad" as being something that potential iPad customers would buy, not an upgrade for current iPad 2 owners.

13. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Same here, and I agree. I think I will upgrade every other cycle from here on out (provided my wife doesn't know I am blowing money on it)

14. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    The new iPad is more appealing to me than the previous models, however I'd rather spend my money on a new iPhone.
    But seeing as I'm happy enough with my iPhone 4, I'll wait for the next one (or maybe the one after).

15. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Going to pass on it. Can't say college students really have much use for it besides to game on in comparison to my 2011 MBP. The family iPad 2 will be fine for now. Getting the new iPhone as soon as it's out late summer/early fall though. Infinity Blade: Dungeons will be a day one buy too.

16. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    I won't get it because I have just bought... a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 for the thin & light form factor. Retina display sounds absolutely astonishing, but it's more about size, weight and thickness for me. Very impressive though and I would be upgrading if I hadn't got this. Can't wait to see the screen in action.

17. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    The hardware gets stronger and stronger, and yet the software stays the same, at best. At worse, the more powerful the devices get, the worse the games become. Naturally, there are exceptions. But not nearly enough of them to warrant this price tag. Do I really need a 10-inch, mega-resolution, retina device to play the latest iteration of Angry Birds? Not really. We'll never see a legitimate, full-fledged Call of Duty game on this device, no matter how powerful it becomes. And Call of Duty is only one of many examples. The new iPad seems to be an improvement that would rarely be utilized for anything other then gaming, which is limited on tablets no matter what. If there something significant that was non-gaming related, perhaps I'd feel more compelled. And I'm not paying for a data plan on the iPad when I have one on the iPhone. I dont care if it is 4G. AT&T isn't going to get away with double-dipping on me.

Anyway, the next iPhone will likely have similar specs and it'll be cheaper, more portable, and genuinely more useful in non-gaming situations, so I think I'm just going to go with that.

18. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    #19 gwet17, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    I skipped gens one and two, and this one has everything I'd been hoping it would. I'll be pre-ordering the new iPad (is that really what it's called? -___-) when I get the chance.

About the first-party Smart Cover... is it any good? I believe all iPad 2 accessories should be compatible with the third-gen model, correct?

19. donperson

donperson Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Norway
    Not really interested, gonna stick with my ipad 2 until the day I no longer am able to run the latest apps.