iPhone 3.0 Beta worth it?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Mew2468, May 8, 2009.

1. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Would it be worth it to put the current 3.0 beta on my main iPod Touch? Are there any big problems with Beta 5 at the moment? Any major games that don't work with it? I know Unity games now work.

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I use it on my phone :eek::D and have no problem with everyday use. build 3 was O.K. but build 4 was excellent, and build 5 is no worse.

I can't open dungeon defense, or Glyder....don't know why. But all unity games work.

I don't see why you shouldn't go to beta 3.0 if you have to option.

Plus it's required for all devs to now make sure their games are compatible with it, and any new submission have to be 3.0 to be accepted once 3.0 goes live. So you might as well.

3. underthesun

underthesun Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I'm sort of torn on whether I should install it on my iPod touch as well (been developing on a budget this far).

The problem is it says SDK 3.0 can't be used to submit 2.2.1 to the app store. Does this mean when you're exporting to 3.0, or is it completely impossible?

Maybe it's better to just look for beta testers with 3.0 beta 5 right now :/

4. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    #4 Zincous, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
    Yeah I'm not exactly clear on the whole 3.0 testing/2.X submissions either :eek:
    Hopefully some devs here can clear that up.

As for 3.0 beta 5 testers, I'm sure that wouldn't be too hard. ;)

A couple of people posted in a lounge thread who have it, and I'm sure asking for 3.0 beta testers only wouldn't be too hard. If your interested in that route.

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Apps don't HAVE to be 3.0 compliant when it goes live.

You can keep your app as is and it will stay on the Appstore, but when 3.0 goes live any app that can not run on it will be removed from the appstore until it is updated.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to put together a very small bug fix update on 2.2.1, send it in for review on 3.0 and see if it's approved. If so then it will be fine, once 3.0 hits you can go back to your normal beta testers that have updated their firmware.

How many dev units can be registered to one account anyways? I'm sure there are other beta testers like me that would be happy to use the beta builds of 3.0 in order to help test

6. ImNotWorking

ImNotWorking Member

Apr 29, 2009
    As of yesterday if your (new) App doesn't work on the iPhone 3.0 (build 5) OS, they will reject it. So it's a good idea to go ahead and put the 3.0 OS on your phone, build it in 2.2.1 and make sure it loads and runs correctly before you submit your app to Apple.

7. rdklein

rdklein Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    sw developer, tv producer, hw developer (microcodi
    Munich
    yes I got also an email from Apple, from now all programs submitted will be tested against 3.0 B5 and need to run with it.

8. coolman

coolman Well-Known Member

Yes,

You can install both SDKs, so no pain for pre OS 3.0 builds.

9. zvnthynn

zvnthynn Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    yay! this is good news for me. i think i have around 4 or 5 games that are not working with 3.0.

10. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    How do you install both? I have both downloaded, is ther a way to switch between the two??

11. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Just install the 3.0 SDK in a different location, and you can use both. I've heard that 3.0 changes your project, so it might be a good idea to work with a duplicate.

12. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Well, I installed them in different locations, but I try both locations and they just open up the most recently installed SDK. ie: If I need to use a different SDK, I need to install it again :(

13. luis

luis Member

All Apple is asking is that you verify your existing applications work with 3.0. You don't need to install the 3.0 SDK to do this. Just upgrade one of your devices to 3.0 using iTunes and install your application.

If your application runs without problems, you are done. If there's a problem, you have to fix it using the 2.2.1 SDK since Apple doesn't accept applications build with 3.0 into the App Store yet.

14. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    The way I do it is to start the XCode I want to work in first, and then drag the project to that icon on the Dock. What does the About XCode say on each one? I have them both running at the same time right now, and one says 3.1.2, and the other says 3.1.3.

15. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I'm on 3.0 b5, and if you'll keep giving me the new betas from the dev center, then I'll definately test anything you need. Plus, you already have my UDID somewhere. ;) I tested Space Ninja once.

16. Shocked

Shocked Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Can only developers get the beta? I'd like to have it..

17. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Yep, only developers.

18. 28JordyBoy94

28JordyBoy94 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Cairns, Australia
    Anyone know when the actual 3.0 is comming out?

19. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    Has anyone submitted an app with 3.0 SDK, but using base SDK as 2.x and target SDK as 2.x?

I already installed SDK 3.0 and have been using that for development, but have not submitted anything using above mentioned setup.

20. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

June 30th is the BEST guess I have. We will all know on June 9th though.