Apple TV Any tvOS Killer Apps?

Discussion in 'Apple TV Games' started by Isometro, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Isometro

Isometro Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Mobile Gamer
    NW USA
    Any recommendations on tvOS apps (games or otherwise)?

The games I have available from my iPhone/iPad haven't really wowed me yet. I tried playing Alto's Adventure and I didn't feel like the translation to a TV game was all that great. AG Drive looked nice but I really didn't enjoy it. I'm wanting to try out Duck Tales, Space Age, and Agent A. I oddly did find the Home Depot DIY app to be pretty great.

Any other must-haves?

2. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Crossy Road is amazing on Apple TV, believe it or not. The multiplayer mode is incredibly fun with friends in the room.

There are a few games that take advantage of 3D if you have a 3D TV also. Kinda neat. There's a paper airplane one, but I don't remember what it's called.

Also Guitar Hero Live if you can grab the guitar from somewhere. It's exactly the same as the console version.

3. Nitro-Rock

Nitro-Rock Member

Mar 8, 2016
    are you using a nimbus or other controller?
    AG Drive worked with nimbus perfect for me, with the siri remote it was crap :)
    also OCEANHORN felt with nimbus like a console title and was very good.

things to try:
    Lightblade academy
    beach buggy racing
    riptide GP renegade

4. Showmelater

Showmelater Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Soon Minecraft if u like that one

5. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I've really been enjoying:

Pixel Cup Soccer - amazing retro arcade soccer game with 2 player support (if you have two controllers!)
    Horizon Chase - perfect arcade racer
    Snowboard Party 2 - Kinda like SSX for iOS and tvOS
    Broken Age - A gorgeous point and click style adventure, works great with the Siri remote
    Oceanhorn - An amazing Zelda style rpg

Chameleon Run is also pretty fun too although not as in depth as some of the above!
    Also check out Star Horizon.. it's a gorgeous on rails space shooter, a bit like star fox.
    Rush Rally 2 is a great racer.

If you like platformers, checkout Ducktales and Heroki. Mos Speedrun is worth a go too.

If you like one touch twitch style platformers you have to try Mr Jump and Mikey Jumps.. they're free.. infuriating.. and brilliant! ;)

6. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Oh and King of Karts!! It's a Mario Kart style game with tons of charm, great gameplay and local mulitplayer!

7. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    There's a few other games on my list to try too:

Infinite Tanks
    Crypt of the Necrodancer
    Legend of the Skyfish

Xenowerk is also good fun on iOS but I've not bought the tvOS version (sadly it's not a universal app.. but I can imagine it'd be great on the tv!)

8. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    ok and finally...

if you don't mind f2p games then Real Racing and Asphalt are both worth a look. Also Modern Combat is decent.

One thing though: get a controller if you don't have one already! Gaming with the siri remote is awful (with some exceptions like Broken Age)

9. Isometro

Isometro Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Mobile Gamer
    NW USA
    Thanks for all the replies!

The Apple TV controllers are surprisingly expensive, which is unfortunate because the Siri remote is really not great.

Crossy Road was good. I'm also looking at Broken Sword, which might end up being a good fit for the interface.

I tried Agent A, but they use 'Menu' as a back button, but it sends you to the actual menu, meaning that I'm eternally stuck in one puzzle with no way out. :eek:

10. babaroga73

babaroga73 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2016
    I'm pretty surprised by how good Geometry Wars 3 works with siri remote. Fire and aim are auto , and you need to move. Pretty decent . And if you want to real play it , you get MFi gamepad. Off the top of my head, Ski Safari is fun , too. I've also bought Chillaxian, Sky Force Anniversary (which is awesome!) , and Chameleon Run (pretty tough one). Lumino City is a great point and click adventure. Badland is awesome just click game. Power Hover ,, Bean Dreams ,, Edge ,, Nightgate ,, Swapperoo ...

I'm talking only about games that plays nice with Siri Remote.

11. Isometro

Isometro Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Mobile Gamer
    NW USA
    I ended up getting Agent A to work, and that was pretty decent on Apple TV.

Real Racing 3 is actually surprisingly good so far, although with all the F2P nonsense I can feel a paywall coming at some point.

The Siri Remote is surprisingly bad at swiping directions. I tried Pac-Man Championship and ended up deleting it because it was almost uncontrollable. Same with Edge.

12. Draven2222

Draven2222 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2013
    My Best app on Apple TV is .. Plex

13. henrycupcake

henrycupcake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015
    hidden folks :eek:

14. henrycupcake

henrycupcake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015
    #14 henrycupcake, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    yes , its weird that xenowerk tvOS version is working seperate from the ios version
    i bought it because it said it have icloud support but then i realise the icloud support ONLY works between tv OS version LOL!!!!

15. pandapando

pandapando Member

Feb 3, 2017
    Crossy Road, Altos Adventure, Hidden Folks...

16. KevinC120

KevinC120 Member

May 17, 2017
    The Siri remote sucks. You definitely need to update that if you want to get a good experience. Pony up cowboy

17. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Its worth mentioning that any of the mfi bluetooth controllers will work with the ATV, its not just the steelseries, so shopping around you can usually pick up a cheaper controller that is still very good like the Mad Catz CTRLi

https://afterpad.com/mficontrollers/

18. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    It also worth mentioning that since the original post the prices in the steel series and hori controllers has dropped and I've seen them for $35 online.

19. Sportsmadmike

Sportsmadmike Member

Jun 10, 2017
    Uk
    Any really good sports games on this platform?

20. Simoqsa

Simoqsa Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Is there any good platformers on Apple TV?

I couldn't see any important title. Of course with MFI support...