Cut hand test

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by gamewell, Jan 24, 2013.

1. gamewell

gamewell Member

Oct 30, 2012

Cut hand tests Headshots Alley. I've made this movie not only for game promotion but also to start discussion about controls in games. Maybe it's too radical to say that game should have easy controls so even cut hand can play :) Just want to say that there is something wrong in this area.
    Many game studios have simple receipe for a game in overcrowded AppStore - stunning graphics, some fresh ideas (or borrowed from other games),plenty of similar levels and nice icon. I really like many titles created by Donut Games because of their simple controls. But there are many great games with gameplay "killed" by inappropriate controls. I love Death Rally but using virtual joystick in this fast and dynamic race game is very annoying.
    Another example - Z the game. Developer forget that I dont have mouse connected to ipad ! Selecting troops by drawing rectangle with two fingers is uncomfortable and imprecise.Probably they knew it and lowered (much) AI of enemies to make levels easier to finish ... It's definitely not the same game I enjoyed in the middle 90s.
    I was "catched" by too many games in AppStore because they looked good on screenshots, had promising description etc. but they where disappointing, mainly because of their controls.

2. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Uhh.... Listen, there is a slight layer of humor to this video, but do you really want to promote this game like that? Especially after the outcry over that pre-order bonus "bloody zombie bust" for Dead Island: Riptide... Any publicity is good publicity, as they say, but I'm not sure you want to create publicity with this kind of marketing campaign.

:(

3. gamewell

gamewell Member

Oct 30, 2012
    #3 gamewell, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    Don't be mad :) OK, it's kind of promotion, sorry for that, but it's not the best place here to promote game. I've made this movie because of real frustration that many games takes my money and time because their creators knows that many people played Z or Baldurs Gate and will buy iOS version because of sentiment. Doesn't matter they are unplayable.
    ps. Hand is haloween gadget for 5$. It took 7 hours to make it real looking and usable for touch screen (toughest part). Blood was made from agava sirup and red paint :)