Universal SlamBots - (by Retro Dreamer)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 29, 2013.

1. GavinBowman

GavinBowman Well-Known Member

The free version is the same aside from the ads.

2. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Gameplay is nice and I like how enemies evolve, but EVERYTHING costs money, and Im not willing to pay to unlock powerups, skins, bases AND levels. Too much, I wish at least levels could be unlocked by playing. Sadly, I have to pass on this one :(

3. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for the insight into this game, think I'll pass!

4. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    #44 TheFrost, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
    Developers don't realize that it always happens the same with this games due to the nature of the AppStore... they are fun but a big grind, you want to keep playing, but then you move on to another one (maybe not if its an outstanding game without the grind part where coins pour in while doing objectives and having fun unlocking new things at the same time as you play like Dead Ahead or Ski Safari or Punch Quest or Jetpack Joyride to name a few) due to being new games released every wednesday night, and leaving you a bad taste for the next game the same developer makes, and that time you hold off. Sad thing.

Edit: Misspelling errors.

5. GavinBowman

Thanks for the feedback guys.

6. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Unfortunately, I've gotta agree. With a $2 price tag (yes, I know it's not much, and only $2... but I'm thinking in comparison to what we usually get in an iOS game for $2...), it's crazy how little you get and how much of a grind there is. =o/

7. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I had a great "run" with a score of 70.000 :) now I'm trying to get into the top 25.

8. GavinBowman

We focused the unlocks on trying to add enough bonus content for people who play the game a lot (you get a massive amount of coins once you get the hang of it, they don't scale linearly with skill/playtime), but I can see how it might look like a grind from the outset.

9. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    It's a fun game. I like the way the enemies envolves and the way the plataforms changes, but I think there is something missing. Something to motivate the player, a goal. Missions or something like that.

10. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Due to the lack of releases this week (happened a few times lately: Ending, 1001 Attempts, Slayin, Blip Blup) I bought the full version of this one, kind of owed it.... So far, after like 10 plays, I got 2000 coins, saving for Velocispider so maybe it got better with updates, don't know... Important thing is that I'm having a lot of fun with it, the gameplay mechanic is solid and fun, enemies evolves over time giving it an edge and the platform changes are great chance of pace too, plus the music and the controls are awesome. My new endless fix. :)

11. GavinBowman

Thanks for going back and checking it out again. We didn't change any of the earning/pricing factors in updates, but I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread - the coins you earn in the game scale way faster than you'd normally expect for a game like this, so if you look at the store before you've started to get to grips with it, everything looks very expensive. This was unfortunate, probably something we would have tried to design around if we had anticipated it.

12. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I remember reading about the grinding costs of this game. Did not realize that it was a game of Retro Dreamer. I past on, then.
    Glad i saw this thread again and d/l the lite version. Great, five minutes later the full version. For my preferences, yet another little masterpiece of one of the best developers out there ! This is of course just my humble opinion.

13. GavinBowman

Thanks for that :D. I'm glad you enjoyed SlamBots too!

14. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Yesterday I played a few games and I earned around 500 coins per run, allowing me to buy several items on the store. Its not as grindy as I initially thought. The more I play this the more I like it. Its damn good. I finally seen the pink winged thingy with helmet and then it becomes so much fun... Specially the lack of revives... Such an amazing endless arena combat game. :D

Once thing I don't have clear is that the maximum amount of coins while executing a large combo and the amount of coins per enemy eliminated never grows further than 3, but on one spare and alone occasion I got 4?

15. GavinBowman

I think there might be a combination of a power-up/shield and a slam combo that could give you 4 coins.

16. GavinBowman

17. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
  18. GavinBowman

I prefer it on a phone sized device personally, but it plays well enough on the bigger stuff.

19. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Game is free today. I play and I like