The Quest - Which Expansions

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Dec 26, 2010.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #1 undeadcow, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    I started this thread to request recommendations on expansions for The Quest Gold...

For reference here are the expansions listed by order of recommended level for challenge:

Celtic Rift - "recommended for low level characters... start a new character to fully enjoy..."
    Cursed Chess Set - designed for new characters
    Islands of Ice and Fire - level 14+
    Elemental Asteroids - level 17+
    Hero of Lukomorye I - level 22+
    Hero of Lukomorye II - level 32+
    Mithril Horde I - level 35+
    Mithril Horde II - level 35+
    Celtic Queen - level 35+
    Hero of Lukomorye III - level 38+
    Escape from Asteroids - level 40+
    Hero of Lukomorye IV - level 45+
    Lost Archipelagos - level 45+
    Attack from Asteroids - level 58+
    The Quest: Hero of Lukomorye V - level 61+
    The Quest: Celtic Doom- level 75+

Theres are the additional expansions not included in the gold edition:
    Celtic Rift - $2.99
    Cursed Chess Set - $2.99
    Lost Archipelagos - $Free
    Mithril Horde - $1.99
    Hero of Lukomorye, Part III: Stormy Seas $1.99
    Escape from Asteroids - $2.99
    Hero of Lukomorye, Part IV: Death to the Deathless $2.99
    Attack from Asteroids - $2.99
    Celtic Queen $2.99
    Heroes of Lukomorye V
    Elemental Asteroids $2.99
    Celtic Doom $2.99

Credit to HansKaosu for information on Celtic Doom and Heroes of Lukomorye V.

2. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    As a creator of the expansions, I can't try to influence you--I suggest you search each one here--look at the comments--you can do that also in itunes--look at the reviews---and then make your decision--you could try HOLI and see what you think.

Most people seem to think the Quest Gold is a lot of bang for your buck. : )

Most people seem to like if not love the expansions and you become a part of an ongoing community!

I will bet my catly tail you will fall in love with the expansions. : )

Hero of Lukomorye I was our first expansion. I think it has hours of very satisfying game play but again--as a creator, I don't want to influence you--read the reviews on itunes--and search the expansion here.

We (Zarista Games) did not make Archipelagos so I can't comment on that. You can search it here.

3. First, when going through reviews, ignore the moronic ones like "No fighting, just walking around a village" because they obviously haven't pressed on any doors and met anyone for a quest :S

Anyway, I seem to have phrased off my The Quest madness now, IDK why. It's probably because of Halo and I may return over the next few months.

Urm, yeah, you should get a lot of the expansions. I started off with the fun Cursed Chess Set. Some of the expansions start you at a high level if you play them alone (Lost Arch, Asteroids...) and are more difficult than the base game/Chess Set.

4. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    #4 Catacomber, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
    I think -- and again-- I shouldn't really comment but---I think one of the nicest things about the Quest is that you get to belong to a community of people who really have a lot to share and want to help each other---

that community is important to me and am always happy when there are new members--it's not just the 2.99---of course that's important to me because it means I can buy new game graphics. : ) But more than that is invaluable the bonus I've gotten as a game creator of all the people who have become a part of our community--I couldn't say what that means in dollars and cents----because you can't put a price on that---you can't put a price on community---but your good will is and hopefully your enjoyment--is why I love making the expansions----

If I can't make games that give people enjoyment, that's when I will stop. : )

The feedback of the community keeps me going.....

5. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I really wanna get into The Quest, but it seems like I'm missing something. I've always heard good things, but to me, the controls are clunky, combat is unintuitive, and theres not enough direction. I don't want my hand held but I wanna know what's going on. I haven't played in a while though, and that was a really early version so maybe it's better now. I actually like the art style, so no complaints there :)

6. donner

donner Well-Known Member

old school rpg'ing at its best.

7. TooTinyMan

TooTinyMan Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Over there --->
    I personally didn't like the Hero of Lukomorye ones, but the rest are great!

8. donner

donner Well-Known Member

the qeust is by far the deepest rpg on the ios, or any handheld for that matter. easily around 300 hrs of gameplay with the expansions. I also love the art style.

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #9 undeadcow, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
    For at least my own future reference here are the expansions listed by order of recommended level for challenge:

Cursed Chess Set - designed for new characters
    Islands of Ice and Fire - level 14+
    Hero of Lukomorye I - level 22+
    Hero of Lukomorye II - level 32+
    Mirthril Hero - level 35+
    Hero of Lukomorye III - level 38+
    Escape from Asteroids - level 40+
    Hero of Lukomorye IV - level 45+
    Lost Archipelagos - level 45+
    Attack from Asteroids - level 58+

I'm going to get The Quest Gold and Cursed Chess Set (plus Lost Archipelagos because it's free) then pick them up as I level through (assuming The Quest keeps me interested that long & I am optimistic). Thanks for the advice.

10. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    #10 Catacomber, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
    That's right on! : ) I hope you enjoy them!

And then when you finish them--you can take the Challenge--which we are conducting right now but I have fallen behind as had to test Asteroids II and HOLV---see how fast you can get through them all just doing the main quests---- : )

Or play as a cleric using only wooden items. : )

HOLV is coming soon. : )

Keep in mind that Archipelagos was made by a very youthful creator who won the "make the best expansion contest" and don't judge the whole Quest and its expansions by it--but enjoy what it has to offer you. : )

That is one of the nice things of the community of the Quest --- that he could make an expansion and get support. He needed a lot of help from the community to make Archipelagos and he got it. But he's still learning so keep a separate save file. : )

11. donner

donner Well-Known Member

so has anyone added up the total number of quests included in the main game and all expansions?

12. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    That's a new challenge that no one before has thought of. : ) I could do it but how about after New Years? : )

Am just recovering from helping to open childrens' Christmas gifts where you have all those twisty things to untie and/or cut. Whoever invented those should be sentenced to having to unwrap a few. : ) Little Pet Shop, which I love, is a big offender with about 50 twisty ties to unravel and they are so hard!!

This would probably make a great iphone game!! Cut the ties and free the pets!!

13. Awesome - enjoy the game and contact Cat on his site or here if you get stuck :D

14. quasar

quasar Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Love game and its expansions!
    (Didn't like Archipelago and didn't play Attack yet though)
    I recommend it to all people who ask what am I doing on my iPhone all the time.

Cat, do you know when HOLV will be on iPhone? Will there be HOLVI? :)

15. nicoga3000

nicoga3000 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Structural Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    So I have a bunch of expansions for The Quest. If I install them all, can I still access them (and use my character) from The Quest Gold?

16. TooTinyMan

TooTinyMan Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Over there --->
    Yes, you can. Just open the expansions and tap "Enable Expansion" or something like that - I deleted the expansions after adding them, so I can't check to see what it really is.

17. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    HOLV is ready to go---just giving people a chance to play through Attack. : )

Not sure about HOLVI---we are working on Celtic Rift--medieval new story---Horde II and something we are calling China right now that is just in the planning stages. : )

18. Celtic Rift?!

Omgmustbuyarghsohypedetcetc

19. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    It has some nice Druidic graphics and a double-edged spear as well as some strong female spear-casters. : )

We hope you will like it.

20. quasar

quasar Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Just saw HOLV in store! Yay! Will buy it and... Nobody will see me again for a day or two as I'll be in Lukomorye (hey, it's as dreadful and snowy here as in HOLIV).