Universal Canabalt (by Semi Secret Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by costanza, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    #961 Ouisch, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
    Man, didn't even notice it was out. Will download now and report back. I hope it's working properly again. :)

EDIT: Ahh, misread your post. I thought you meant a Canabalt update. I actually got an email from Eric a while back and he said the update/fix was almost done, so we should be seeing something soon. Anyway, as for iOS 4.1, no, no difference for 3GS users unfortunately.

2. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    There is no Canabalt update yet. Guise war referring to the iOS update to 4.1.

3. cthibault

cthibault Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Professional Magician
    MA, USA
    @Ouisch:4.1 means iOS 4.1, not an update to Canabalt

4. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

what happened
    (these were taken in landscape with the home button on the right)

5. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009

Thanks for checking that--I figured as much. And sorry for the confusion about the 4.1. I should have been specific there.

6. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    #966 Ouisch, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
    Version 1.5 out now!

Can't wait to sync it. Praying this finally puts to bed the 3GS framerate issues.

EDIT: Well, I'll need some others to confirm (as my memory of how it used to run in the first place might be fading), but I don't see a difference in terms of the 3GS frame-rate. :(

I haven't had a chance to try deleting it and doing a fresh re-install. Hopefully that will make a difference (but admittedly, chances are slim).

Disappointing.

7. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009

Looks like it's time for a reinstall. I'll report back about frame-rate improvements (or lack thereof). Hopefully at least the audio is working properly?

8. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Audio seemed to be working properly (but I didn't mess around with it or anything). Just played a few rounds and it seemed to be just as choppy as it was before.

And yeah, please report back and let us know how the frame rate is after a re-install.

9. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009

OK, so after downloading and testing the game, deleting and restarting my phone, then re-downloading and restarting the phone again...

I think you're right. While the audio options are finally working properly, the visuals seem as choppy and unsatisfying as when iOS 4.0 was released. The choppiness is especially evident when jumping and running into boxes. Disappointing, to say the least.

10. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Yeah, I deleted/re-installed myself, and I totally agree. I don't notice any change in the frame rate at all. Still gets basically unplayable when it speeds up.

I hate to say it, but it might be time to put Canabalt out to pasture. :(

11. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    also installed new update and the framerate is still very poor on 3gs.

12. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Yeah, at this point I'm hoping it's something they actually can fix.

It's a shame as this used to be one of my favorite games, and I was a big defender of their choice of price point. Currently it's just sitting on my phone collecting dust.

13. Piasintein

Piasintein Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    1.5 (but 1.4, too) works sometimes good, sometimes not-so-good even on my iPod touch 4G. It's inconstant, I really don't understand what's the problem...
    Semi Secret could bring back 1.3... Ok, it's not universal, but it worked fine!

14. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Yeah, here's to that. I really wish I'd kept a copy of the 1.3 version after updating.

15. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    it seems no updates are really planned. with new iphone the same lags.

16. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    They actually did tweet quite some time ago that they promised they'd look into Canabalt frame rate issues again once "Steambirds" (or whatever their next app is) launches.

Honestly though, with none of the promised updates for Gravity Hook, and nothing done so far about Canabalt, I can't say I really have any interest in their next release. :(

17. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Yup. Not really interested in giving them anymore money due to the lack of updates.

18. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I think the game will be perfect once they add one more piece of music and one new level, with new designs- if any of that will happen :/

19. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    it still shows upside down for me

20. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I just played this for the first time since upgrading to an iPod Touch 4G and man, the frames are really chugging. I never noticed the problem on my 2G, ironically.