Some games need more recognition...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MikeV, Mar 24, 2010.

1. MikeV

MikeV Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    sub-contracting
    VT
    Games like Critical Wave for example, this game is one of THE BEST as far as dual stick survival shooters, if u haven't played it do it NOW. Live updating leaderboard rank and instant pause on release are 2 of many features that sets this game on the top. Gameplay destroys Minigore, and the other 4 DS shooters i have for that matter.

And Radio Flare Redux, why hasn't this got the attention it deserves? This game has EVERYTHING u could want as for as features, graphics and smooth controls, and the gameplay is nuts!

There are many more, most of which i don't even know about because the hype is about some crappy text based MMO has been given 2D graphics, or pointless pocket god types or over simplistic doodle jump types.

Innovative and full featured games have to be supported if the app stores flow of liquid crap is ever going to be slowed...

Anyone have any other examples? please share

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    What have you been smoking lately

3. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    This is an example on how to make a "shill" thread. Good job! :D

4. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Great, now half the devs are gonna be in here saying "this one!" I guess I'll only take senior member responses seriously. Nothing wrong with new "members" posting but it just seems like nowadays more than half of these new "members" are devs or only post about one game.

5. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Well-Known Member

If you feel a game deserves more attention than it's getting, then you can do something about it. Write a User Review over in the appropriate forum, tell your friends about it on FaceBook and Twitter and in the pub, post in relevant threads about how much you like it and why it's so good.

If the game's as good as you think it is, other people will notice and start posting about it too. Fundamentally, that's how word of mouth promotion works, and it's the main source of garnering attention for those of us devs who haven't the budget for much in the way of marketting and promotion.

6. MikeV

MikeV Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    sub-contracting
    VT
    Yup, so as I said, does anyone else have games they feel this way about? I need to find some hidden gems because as you can see from the OP i haven't been finding much quality and completeness in as many games resently, I've come to regret about 1/2 of my purchases.

7. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    #7 5duc29, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
    What the heck? I understand that some games that are genuinely good and don't get the sales or ratings that they deserve but what you're saying doesn't make sense to me, much. People like games that are appealing to them, I don't think you should judge what makes sense to you and not to everyone else. I like Minigore and Doodle Jump, I love Pocket God. I don't think they're simplistic or pointless. MMO are kind of crappy but people love it and it's just a matter of preference...

I do see where you're going (in part) and I agree on some of the facts given.. But don't bash other games because of their popularity or high sales.

EDIT: And I'm not a loser pre-teen. More like a happily- fun- geeky- loving- ipod touch- kind of guy + adult ;)

Oh, I was thinking of Zach Gage games and I have to say, I think Unify deserves more recognition. It's just that awesome of a game :D

8. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I can just say it again and again.
    I don't understand why TA is ignoring the awesome Eco Punk!
    One of the best casual games out there. Perfect presentation, great controls, highly addicting. I just don't understand.... while reading about average stuff on the front site.

9. MikeV

MikeV Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    sub-contracting
    VT
    I own all 3 as well, loved playing them (pocket god got realy old fast, i blame lack of a real goal or any challenge) all i'm saying is that i feel some of the attention given to them should be shared with other equally fun or superior games. And i'm EXTREMELY relieved that there are other people who love the iDevice platform that are old enough to drive :)

Eco-Punk? is that tilt controlled? if so this is what i'm talking about. Just watched a video, it looks awesome, and if it is tilt controlled, kinda wish i bought it as an alternative to tilt to live, which is a great game but realy didnt live up the the hype i read before purchasing it...

10. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Eco Punk is just touch. And working perfectly. You can touch anywhere and move your thumb/finger relative to your character. Just great! You don't want tilt controls here. Says someone who loves tilt :)

You should give it a try.

11. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Yeah, It's weird how game appeal to game owners. There are just too many games out there. I do feel sorry for developers that put a lot work into their games and then the sales don't rise at all. It happens. Yes, I can drive.. and almost time for the drinking age :)

Anyways. Games that I think needs more recognition are:

-Unify: if you love Tetrix then you're going to love this.
    -Ynth: One of the best puzzle game IMO
    -Red Conquest: One of two RTS games that I think is worth checking out (and it's not C&C)

-Plants vs Zombies: Just kidding :rolleyes:

12. MikeV

MikeV Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    sub-contracting
    VT
    lol you and me both, but in VT the law usually dosnt get between me and my fire water :D

Red conquest looks awesome (prolly pick it up once i finish up AcrossAge) and non tilt controls basicly just sold me on Eco-Punk... BOP, how much game are we talking? I've played the genre for free online so many times its kinda exausted for me.

backtothis: i'm going to ignore any post you make past this line, for your own good stop, the I-R-O-N and Y buttons on my keyboard are going to start breaking

Edit: Line __________________________________________________________________________________________

13. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Gotta agree with those who pointed out Eco-Punk and Red Conquest! Unify is also a great one, and Zach's new game, Bit Pilot is awesome as well and finally getting a little recognition having been on the TA front page the other day, but it deserves more!

I'll add Power Gems (one of the best and probably the most strategic match-3 there is), Tumbledrop, (best physics game I've played), Mondrian (best puzzle game I've played by quite a margin), Rebirth of Fortune (very solid tactics game with great graphics), Towers in Space (best TD, imo), Monster RPG 2 (overshadowed by KRPGs and FF 1 and 2), and maybe most of all, Necromancer Rising, which is likely the most ambitious pure RPG and FPS on the iPhone.

I also agree with the OP's mention of Critical Wave, which is quite a good dual-stick shooter. Add BloodnGuns and Annihilation Undead to my list as well.

Is that too many? :eek:

14. GothamCity

GothamCity Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Italy
    i don't think tht controls are truly great..a lot of times i go without see a lot because my finger obscure a good part of the screen...apart from this yes,Eco Punk is a very good game and deserves more attention :)

15. Jerlyndr8

Jerlyndr8 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    USA
    The game FlipWorld needs recognition. its a good game!

16. BOP is totally awesome: active devs, updates, beautiful game, unlockable wallpapers...

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

We didn't like it, I'm not sure how much more clear I can make that before you stop accusing us of "ignoring" it.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I'm with you on that one, even though I was a beta tester. Compared to RastaMonkey, it felt like a big step backward for the developer.

I agree, however, that there are many games that never get the proper TLC from the audience -- that's the nature of a crowded marketplace. Developers need to be on the ball when it comes to marketing.

19. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    'Vector Runner' and 'Oh, the Huge Manatee'.

Both by the same developer (who I am not). They've been taking up a lot of my gaming time recently. Love the simple yet nuanced gameplay and the way their leaderboards are set up.