Need Some Help Regarding IOS Game Making!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jackdefrin, Aug 29, 2012.

1. jackdefrin

jackdefrin New Member

Aug 29, 2012
    i am going to make apps and games for iphone and android as well as java can anyone tell me how much google and apple will pay me for a single app.and how much persons i needed to make a game like infinity blade ios game cuz there are only two perons in my team a CG artist and a programmer of anroid and ios game.are we enough to make a good game.

2. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Are you joking ?
    Sorry for asking, but your post seems to be the stereotype of a beginner post, that's why I'm asking.
    If you want a good quality of life, don't do game for a living. It's not well paid.
    - Google or Apple don't pay you. People buy your game and you receive 70% of the money.
    - Infinity blade was made by a team of professional and probably cost several hundred of thousand dollars.
    Don't even try to compete with them. You probably need at least 10 professional to do it (and probably more).
    - You will be lucky if you FINISH your first game.

3. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Yes if you don`t expect to much from you for the first Game. Try to focus on the Gameplay and don`t rush anything out. It took the hole Team at Chair more then six Months and while the Game was pretty bugged at Launch it`s possible that a much smaller Team can create something on the same Level - It will just take you much, much longer time.

Good Luck.

4. jackdefrin

jackdefrin New Member

Aug 29, 2012
    what should i do next when i get completed my game?

5. Synaptic Wave

Synaptic Wave Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2012
    PR manager at Synaptic Wave
    Odessa, Ukraine
    #5 Synaptic Wave, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
    Oh my I have no idea what exactly you want to know :confused:

If you want to find out something about marketing, read the epic series on Ray Wenderlich's blog: click. Frankly saying, you'd better do it before completing a game. And even before starting it.

If you want to hear how to roll the app out to the market, I don't have a handy link. I'm not really in the mood to write a long post no one will read, so I'll just wait for your answer and write something if that's what you're looking for.

Finally, I want to second this:

Are you really really sure you want to build iOS games? Have you read any postmortems like this or this ones? Note that you'll be developing your game for half a year. The App Store will become more competitive by that time. So do you really want to stick with iOS development?

This doesn't really apply if you're from a country where a $1000 is a great salary, though.

6. jackdefrin

jackdefrin New Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I wanted to make a PC or X360 game but it is too tough to make it so i thought to take a start from ios and then expand it to PC.
    In my country 1000 dollars are almost One Lakhs.Which market is more competitive PC or ios?
    Should i try a publisher or do everything by myself?
    Is thousand dollars is the minimum amount to be paid or its maximum?
    lastly tell me wisely is this a good profession for a person living in my country?

Thanks for All of the TouchArcade members you all are really helpfull.

7. Synaptic Wave

Mar 14, 2012
    Odessa, Ukraine
    oh my you make me cry

I don't really know where you live. You've never told it. So I have no idea whether
    Anyway, it seems that you have no idea how app development works. Let's say you've made a great app. Apple reviewes your app to make sure it complies to all the Apple rules. If you think that this is the moment when you start earning money and working on another app - you're wrong. Apple doesn't take your app and offer it to everyone. They don't send emails and call friends to say 'Hey, look at this cool app by jackdefrin'. They don't buy ads. They don't do a single thing.

In fact, when Apple approves your app, it only lets you sell your app at App Store. I'll give you an example. Imagine a giant supermarket named Apple. It's filled with all kinds of goods (717,112 apps are available now). Each day more types of goods arrive. 710 a DAY (source). One day you, too, are allowed to sell your goods through this store. If you think that 'Build it and they will come' strategy will work, it won't. If you come to a shelf, jam your goods among thousands of others and wait for people to come, they won't. I've only heard of A SINGLE app which had some (I don't really know if big) success with this strategy. It was 10000000 and Hodapp discovered it at the TA app. Mind that I've followed the news for a few months. That's one app out of ten thousand.

Other manufacturers from the supermarket study what people look for to be sure that their goods aren't only found when someone searches for 'pinterest like opera videos app'. Some will hire PR agencies to make sure that the goods get some visibility. Someone will tease customers for months so that when the goods are released the customers are eager to try it out.

These guys will try to make their goods visible. Therefore, yours won't be visible as a customer cannot buy tens of different goods every day. If you don't sell anything, that's your problem. It's not Apple's problem. If you do sell something - you get paid. If you don't - you are not.

So a thousand dollars I mentioned is a somewhat realistic amount of what you could make with your first app IF you marketed it effectively. But you could end with 400$ in the first month and another 50$ each month.

If you can make a great game, you'd better stick with a publisher, watch what he does and go indie later, IMO.

8. Marat

Marat Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Synaptic Wave, you are so patient! my respect to you

9. Synaptic Wave

Mar 14, 2012
    Odessa, Ukraine
    Thanks, Marat. The Gasketball postmortem impressed me a lot so I'm trying to make jackdefrin be realistic.

10. Marat

Marat Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    I see what you mean.

11. Hardcore_Games

Hardcore_Games New Member

Sep 9, 2012
    If you mean you're going to first "learn" how to make games, then:

(1) Learning will take you a long time. And as Synaptic Wave suggested, by then, the app store will have probably become a lot more competitive by then.

(2) Given the difficulties you'll face coding AND designing all the graphics everything yourself, you will most probably lose interest half way through, after already having spent weeks or months on the game.

So what I suggest is that you hire an expert, that is, a programmer and designer to do this for you. And hire them on a fixed price, not hourly. Typically, you would call such a person a "service provider" or a "contractor". Anyway, the contractor will do everything from scratch, create the artwork, do the programming, complete the game, have you test it for your satisfaction, and then upload it for you while you can sit back and relax.

And actually MANY of some of the popular 2D games WON'T cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars. They won't even cost you tens of thousands of dollars! A good example is "Doodle Jump" for iOS (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/doodle-jump/id307727765?mt=8), which is a VERY popular game. In my opinion, it won't even cost you more than $3000 to have it developed AND designed if you hire a service provider to do it for you.

I hope this reply was helpful.

Sam Shaw
    (7 years experience in the game development industry as a contractor / service provider)
    Email: [email protected]

12. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    It's actually much easier to make money by developing a PC, nay, Flash game. Flash games aren't expected to provide a deep user experience since they are free. Moreover, it doesn't take a decade of coding experience to produce a passable flash game. If it's good enough, addicting enough, strange enough...well, enough of something that people want to pay it, you can then auction your game. While you maintain ownership of your product, there are companies that purchase the rights to distribute Flash games through the various Flash (I feel like I've typed that a few too many times) portals. You'll also usually get a percentage of ad revenue if have it set to display ads within the game.

And then, if you have a hit on your hands, you can consider porting it to ios. Just look at Shift, Canabalt, Super Meat Boy, Plague whatchamacallit, etc.