Apps - Do you update?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Gov, Oct 15, 2013.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I see practically every iOS game as disposable. Hardware updates are going to continue pushing them into obscurity with no sign of the process ever stopping. Very few developers are going to keep updating forever, so it's almost inevitable a large number will die.

Plus they're all cheap and barely any manage to engross me as much as PC/console gaming.

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Agreed, I understand people who don't really care all that much about their games and are fine with it, but if you do enjoy something I don't get why you'd be okay with it going down the gurgler, turning into a demo, or start pushing ads.

Each to their own I guess, doesn't speak well for the platform though.

3. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I've seen a few games here and there gain ads, but I've never had anything seriously bad happen to a and like it becoming a demo. If that happened I'd be going straight to Apple for a refund.

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Happens a lot these days, the last major one a few weeks ago I think was by tapatalk I'm not sure about IOS but I know on Android some people who were on version 2 pro got updated to version 2 free when they released version 4 pro as a new app.

Lot of other paid pro users ended up being updated to version 4 free just depended on what version of Android they were using, but seriously imagine being on the free version paying for the pro version then a few weeks later it updates you to the free one you started with and wants you to pay again for the new pro.

Really sucks what a lot of developers are doing it's bordering on fraud in my opinion.

5. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    I check religiously what updates are available for my 2 accounts every day (like twice). There's something about seeing what the new update is about that's exciting for me and reassuring to see that the dev is still maintaining his app. I have such a huge backlog of untouched games that I'm scared newer iOS versions won't let me play the games when I get around to them. This is why I make sure to always have the latest updates for all my apps

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I hate freemium, but i have over 550 games installed on my ipod touch and love updates. I have a quick check of the update before i click it but the last couple of years of iOS gaming (and with 550 installed games) i havent had major issues with a game turning to freemium. Tabletop Racing which is one of my favourite games has but it hasnt ruined the experience for me.

If each game was $40 i could understand people worrying but if theres an update to a 99c game on my device which i dont totally love i wont worry too much about it.

Worry about people not supporting the devs (not buying games on launch, waiting for price drops or always go for promo codes), thats ruining ios gaming more than the odd annoying update.

7. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    I used to blindly hit "Update All Apps," and started monitoring my updates after the Phosphor Games/Dark Meadow "Premium to Whatever" situation. After ending up with 10+ apps constantly sitting in my "Update" window, I recently went back to hitting, "Update All," figuring I would just take what comes, maintain a mental list of developers who break their games after the fact to introduce freemium aspects, and simplify my life a bit.

I love iOS gaming, but it takes up such a relatively tiny portion of my life, it just doesn't seem worth the effort involved in panicking about it, especially within the context of a very full "real life..."

DBC

8. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I used to update apps as soon as the update appeared and without really thinking about it.

But having been burnt by several games I loved being ruined/crippled by updates I now am far more careful about updating.

9. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I think I've answered my feelings on this before to you so I won't repeat myself. I'm not sure it's entirely relevant to the topic to be honest.

You may not care but some people do, its just how it is.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'll be interested to see what happens in the future. I'm sure there'll be some sort of iOS emulator at some point

I remember in the 80's thinking old ZX Spectrum/Commodore games on tape would die out as tapes were disappearing as everything was going to CD.

Then one day in the mid 90's i saw in a computer magazine an advert for a CD full of Spectrum games and an 'emulator' which i had never used before. Instantly ordered it, and there i was a week later, on my 66 mhz PC (which cost £1100 !!) playing old Spectrum games on it via this emulator, amazing stuff

I cant see iOS gaming disappearing but at some point i reckon there'll be some sort of 'emulator' in the future

For practically every system in the past (computers/consoles, arcade games etc) theres been an emulator. In the future i can see that happening for old old iOS games

11. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I believe RetroArch is an all-in-one emulator. Also out for iOS via jailbreak. It can play many consoles, without having several apps. More and more are getting included into the system.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm NOT talking about piracy here. I just mean in the future (10 years or so) i cant believe these old apps will be dead and redundant. Sure there'll be a tool/device (Apple perhaps) where you can still play classic old apps.

I mean physical games on tape or cartridge from the 80's and 90's are still being played today. As Apples games are all digital there wont be a problem in the future when the ipad 10 comes out etc

13. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Well, there could be a problem with digital copies too. Say the dev doesn't update the app often, the game could become broken just like an old cartridge. So really.. nothing is better physical or digital. Both are prone to breaking.

14. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Someone might want to edit that post before we get a bunch of would-be-pirates telling all their friends, "Look what I found on TA!"

DBC

15. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I don't blindly update things anymore, as I've been burnt before too. I have 62 that want to be updated right now, and I go through 'em to see if it's something I want or not. So after updating 'em, there's the 62 that I can't see any reason to bother with. Had like 88, so I did update some. Also, there's space issues involved with updating. And some games seem to get little updates all the time, and that irritates me a bit. Little things that don't mean anything to me. So, yeah, I do scrutinize the update aspect on my devices--especially on my phone where I don't have much extra storage space to play with.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Not that I support it, but that would be interesting from a piracy viewpoint. The ideal iOS emulator would presumably be able to emulate any version of iOS, so ROM collectors would be scrambling to track down the optimal update versions of each popular app. They kinda do the same thing with SNES/Genesis/etc ROMs already, but the task for iOS would be chaotic.