Ravensword 2 Pricing

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JoshCM, Aug 28, 2012.

1. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    We're curious about pricing our game. We have some ideas in mind already.
    It will be premium, we know that for sure...
    The game will be rather large, as far as how much area to explore and how many quests. I'd say its about the same size as Aralon, maybe slightly larger...
    Thoughts?

2. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    I'd be willing to instabuy $9.99 and under, and anything more and I might wait and see a vid before buying. But if it's similar to Aralon maybe $6.99. But for a premium game I'd be willing to pay a lot more than usual :D

3. Jordanbuzz

Jordanbuzz Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2011
    I would probably do the same thing as banger said

4. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Agreed with the price points mentioned above. $6.99 would probably be the best choice to go with since it's a popular pricing point and could easily get you into the Top Paid Apps chart without scaring off the casual gamers. $9.99 would be just as suitable though considering the size and quality of the game, but it might not shoot up as fast. Either way, it's an instabuy from me on day 1!

5. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    $6.99 too (5,49€ I think). Isn't that the price that GL gives to every premium game?

6. DempseyRoll

DempseyRoll Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    If i can play this on iphone 3gs im willing to pay for it for 7$..:)

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lol, you guys did this for the first Ravensword as well. $6.99 or $9.99, I'd say.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I would say $6.99, dont get me wrong i think its worth more but at that price you'll probably attract many more people.

Cant wait for it to come out ! Aralon was one of the best games i ever played on iOS, was so addicted to it, brilliant game. Cant wait for this one

9. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    I never realized there was such a politic to pricing. Why don't you pull a Radio Head and just put it up for free, and let people who download it donate what they like :p (j/k, by the way)

Though, based off the screens and your track record, I'd personally pay $20 for it. I mean I just paid $50 usd for The Last Story on the Wii, and from what I understand it is only about 20 hours long. So a game like this, with what I presume will be some serious length and the obviously current gen visuals - $20 easily.

I mean really, if Square can ask $15 - $30, I don't see why you can't. But those pricing politics... Man do we not like then ;)

Seriously, though, I can understand everyone else's response. Above $10 is a lot in the app store.

What ever you decide, I'm sure the game will be great! :)

10. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    I think I enjoyed walking around the town in The Last Story more than playing most ios games. =/ and it is 20 hours + of fast paced narrative/character driven gameplay.

I think $7.99 is a fair price for the game.

11. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    7-10 dollars.

12. tonydeli7

tonydeli7 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Freelance Computer Engineer
    Greece
    6.99$ as a 2-day launch sale and then 9.99$ :)

13. pmckean

pmckean Member

Jan 8, 2010
    I'd like to see prices on the App Store creep upwards. I find the move towards IAP absolutely heartbreaking - it's ruining gameplay. But developers can't feasibly release a premium title at $3.99 and make money without such tactics.

So, if prices for great title rose to $20 or $30 and managed to eschew in-app purchases, I would personally be very pleased.

I've spent a year working with an artist and a musician on a beautiful, Lovecraft-themed adventure game for iOS, which is self-financed. I won't put IAP in as I want it to be the kind of game *I* would play. I'm faced with pricing it around $3.99 and knowing that I still need to shift several thousand copies if I want to break even.

It's a tall order!

14. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Lovecraft themed you say? Show me pls. :)

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I'd pay $10-20 from what I've seen, but to get sales I'd have to say $6.99. That way you won't scare to many people off and still make a decent profit.

16. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    I was actually thinking that Lazulis is one of my favorite rpg cities next to Radiata City (from Radiata Stories). And yes, I just like strolling along exploring (in rpg's in general) as well.

The part where I mentioned prices was how I felt, I didn't expect anyone to greet the idea of $20 with open arms. I agree that $7 or $8 is a fair price for the game; it was more of an open letter to the state of app pricing and where it will eventually be in a few years. That and the fact that RS2 seems to be of "console quality" (from what I have seen, which is admittedly very little). Which in my mind, is where I could imagine paying that much in the app store.

Thanks for the dialogue :)

17. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    While I'd be willing to pay $20-30, or perhaps even more, I think that your best bet is somewhere in the $7-$10 price range, as others have said. $7 seems much too low considering what the game will likely end up being, but oh well.

18. AMGPublicEnemy

Aug 12, 2012
    here's what i think... aralon didnt have a demo, and that was a chief reason for me to be wary of buying it. granted, once i did, i realized what a terrific game it is, but without a demo, it is a bit of a gamble when you buy a game. i realized this when i bought infinity blade, a game which i did not at all enjoy.

when you offer a demo, like you did with ravensword one, if you can sell phenomenal gameplay (which it seems like you already have), you can get away with charging $10. a launch special may give you a nice headstart right out of the gates, but i firmly believe that $10 is the perfect cost for this game. is it worth more? yes, but right now is the wrong time to release high-priced games on the app store. id pay $30 for this game, as while it is not at a ps vita level (those games are $40), it is beyond a psp level; that being said, most app store consumers think differently, and would rather just pay $1 for a thousand and one different spinoffs of fruit ninja (ie infinity blade)... so maybe $10 is a good price. $7 is tried and tested, though, so go with your gut.

whatever happens pricewise, if my device is supported, count me as one of your customers.

19. xxx_R3B0RN_xxx

xxx_R3B0RN_xxx Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    So, this is what I think.

I think that you should make it 7-10$ and make a few sales. That way, people will think, "Oh, a really good game at a price of 7-10$ is going for only 2.99$ sale! this is my chance to get this game!"

actually, higher priced games sells better, in the sense that expensiveness means high quality. And when it goes on sale, people will want to buy the game, a good depth game for a little price.

So, anywhere 7-10$. 7.99$ could be the start of a new pricing point trend! And you should make a few quick sales in which it gives people urgency to buy it. And you should have a launch sale too, which could act as a boost into the top charts.

20. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    well so far it seems like everyone's comments are exactly in line with what we were thinking.