Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 03-22-2013, 06:49 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Of course there's a reason, tradition over modernity and sensibility. A little island that was once an empire is bound to be caught up in the past
Actually it's just to stop words having hard vowels and ending abruptly. "Colour" implies the word kinda fades out gently while "color" could sound like anything from "collar" to "colon"
Old 03-22-2013, 07:48 AM
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
"Colour" implies the word kinda fades out gently while "color" could sound like anything from "collar" to "colon"
Is it coincidence that when giving an example of what we Americans sound like and have done to the English language, the word you use is "colon"?

What does the "re" instead of "er" in "centre" indicate? That a significant percentage of Medieval English Sign Makers were dyslexic?
Old 03-22-2013, 07:59 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ops View Post
Is it coincidence that when giving an example of what we Americans sound like and have done to the English language, the word you use is "colon"?

What does the "re" instead of "er" in "centre" indicate? That a significant percentage of Medieval English Sign Makers were dyslexic?
I haven't done research into it, but I'm thinking these days it's because people give different meaning to each one. One is the middle of something, the other is a place. We have Job Centres, but I'd call the middle of a circle it's center.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
I haven't done research into it, but I'm thinking these days it's because people give different meaning to each one. One is the middle of something, the other is a place. We have Job Centres, but I'd call the middle of a circle it's center.
Isn't the center of a city the city centre though? That is the middle of something and a place. Maybe place takes precedence if something is both?

I am sure it is residue from Old English were they seemed to like ending things in e's. The oldest part of Philadelphia is called Olde City, but recently they started painting over the E in subway stops and on tourist stuff because they were all getting lost trying to find Old City.