Banner ads during gameplay?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by derpderp, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    I see absolutely no problem with this - it's a lite version, and the ads aren't near the UI. I've played plenty of lite versions of games that have banner ads - I'm pretty sure I have a few free versions of games that have banner ads that still exist on my device. (Though being able to unlock the game and make them go away is, of course, ideal.)

Personally, I'm always glad to see lite/trial/free versions of games that I'm curious about. I agree that the game itself is what's going to keep people around - unless the ads end up being huge, loud, or obnoxious, they most likely will not be what makes or breaks the game for people.

2. derpderp

derpderp Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Thanks for the input everyone, I'll take it on-board when I'm making my final decision!

3. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    #23 SimianSquared, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
    Here's a sobering thought for you guys regarding free/ads/etc:

TA readers may laugh and think their review doesn't matter and they're just a vocal minority but that's far from end of the story.

1. TA readers can make or break an app's chart position. You only need a few to do it. And it's exponential: if you boost an app up into visible range then the rest of the world can see it.

2. Likewise, if you do a giant turd on an app and rate it 1 star, it can kill the app outright, and never be able to climb the charts because it dropped off the chart too fast.

In short, especially with tiny indie developers like us, you do have the power to ruin a year's work. Or make it fly. Just bear that in mind, that your small vocal minority is important.

Insert uncle ben wise spiderman quote here.

----

Regarding the banner ad thing, well with everyone waiting for an app to go free, I can't really blame a small dev wanting to add some form of revenue. Being free without ads didn't really work out all that well for Linux gaming in general. People demanded free, and they demanded free without ads. So developers now consider Linux the last possible thing to bother porting to.

Keep an eye on the big boys like Sony, MS and so forth. They are massively opening up their platforms. What was once out on iOS first, may soon be out on iOS last. If ever. Proof? Vlambeer.

Keep demanding free everything, and it will bite you. Not if, but when.