Support our Sponsors:

Old 11-16-2013, 02:22 PM
In Time-Out
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyRookGames View Post
Sounds like there's a lot of people here that would prefer lite and premium versions rather than a single free version that unlocks to full.

What is it about the free version that unlocks to full version that you guys don't like?
The thing is, devs that have tried to do it in the past, always seem to inflate inapp prices for everything, and make it freemium based anyway (timers, ads, etc).

I think we need a new term for games. Free to Try, where it is a premium buck app, but free to try, and will unlock with a simple buck inapp. And say so in the app descritions that that is that. Free to Try would be the new generation of games, a merge of lite and premium games.

Of course this could be higher priced games too, but there needs to be an inexpensive option too cause many people buy games when they are a buck.

I know the term Free to Play is out there, but yeah, basically they mostly just seem freemium anyway with huge inapps and stuff.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:38 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyRookGames View Post

What is it about the free version that unlocks to full version that you guys don't like?
For me, it's if a game disappears from the App Store you won't be able to reinstall and restore the full version unlock so that game would be gone. Whereas purchasing the full version direct allows me to reinstall even if the title disappears from the App Store.
It's a rare chance of it happening but if this was the main method of purchasing then it would happen more. Hope I made sense lol.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:06 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpuff View Post
For me, it's if a game disappears from the App Store you won't be able to reinstall and restore the full version unlock so that game would be gone. Whereas purchasing the full version direct allows me to reinstall even if the title disappears from the App Store.
It's a rare chance of it happening but if this was the main method of purchasing then it would happen more. Hope I made sense lol.
Makes perfect sense and my reasoning as well. As an example I like hidden object games and some have two versions, only one is free to try then pay to unlock through iap whereas the other can be bought outright and get the full version (without iap). I'll even go so far as to play the free version (with iap) only to get a taste but will only buy the full version without the iap if its available. I don't play them right away at times and prefer the game still be intact even if its taken out of the store.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
The thing is, devs that have tried to do it in the past, always seem to inflate inapp prices for everything, and make it freemium based anyway (timers, ads, etc).

I think we need a new term for games. Free to Try, where it is a premium buck app, but free to try, and will unlock with a simple buck inapp. And say so in the app descritions that that is that. Free to Try would be the new generation of games, a merge of lite and premium games.

Of course this could be higher priced games too, but there needs to be an inexpensive option too cause many people buy games when they are a buck.

I know the term Free to Play is out there, but yeah, basically they mostly just seem freemium anyway with huge inapps and stuff.
That's a good point. I think there's a large number of gamers who don't like freemium games and there is a lot of similarity between a freemium and a game that unlocks to the full version. Especially if the developer blurs the lines by creating some hybrid of the two.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpuff View Post
I never even thought of this - but it makes perfect sense! Thanks.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:18 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

For me it's partly the fear that I might lose the game unlock - and it's partly that AppShopper doesn't send you alerts when IAPs drop in price so I wouldn't know about any sales.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:04 AM

Lite versions annoy me. I prefer Premium or free with unlock
Old 11-18-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Personally, I'd prefer one app with a full game unlock anyway. I wish all games would do this -- the try before you buy type thing -- and the devs wouldn't have two apps to maintain (although, really, unless there's a bug, lite versions usually aren't touched because you don't add new content to them).
Yeah it would be just like XBLA