Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-26-2013, 01:33 AM

Wow, thanks for those tips! I hope now that the game has been reviewed more people will post on this thread.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:12 AM

Can anyone make heads or tails of the "i solve" puzzle? I stared at it for like 3 hours and all I managed was to toss my cards into ugly piles and make 3 little clouds swirl around the whirlpool thing. Are the clouds good? I have no idea where to even start, although I have a sinking suspicion that it has to do with the unlockable story cutscenes. I tried googling for a guide but it seems like nobody has a clue anywhere!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

v1.02 Update released:
• The Tutorial will no longer stall or crash when suspending/resuming, going backwards, playing cards in the wrong order, or exiting.
• Backups made using iCloud and iTunes Local Unencrypted will now properly restore Rootwork. After you have updated and run the game once, please backup your device again to take advantage of this.
• There is a new set of Statistics to track your longest Escape/Death streak per Character. Each streak resets when you Exit the game, though it will persist through a suspend/resume. The Notebook display of Character statistics has been cleaned up to accommodate this.
• There is a new setting on the 'I change' screen to change the speed of the prompts called "Slow Prompt". When On, prompts display for 4 seconds. When Off, prompts display for 2 seconds. The default is Off.
• During the Encounter, when you try to move a card from your hand that is blocked by the Power of an Evil Spirit, you will be alerted the first time with the musical theme of that Evil Spirit but thereafter by a prompt describing that Power.
• The Lamp on the Main Screen will no longer disappear when tapped or when suspending/resuming.
• You may no longer flip cards that are matched on the Encounter. If you wish to flip a card, you may do so in the Pocket, the Hand, or on the "Table".
• Various user interface and defect fixes.

Regrding highlighted bit:
How am I supposed to see how they now track streaks as anything more than cludgey/annoying? Getting a big winning streak might be fun but I'm not about to leave the app running in the background for weeks just to keep this stat going. Unless this is a clever way to avoid some hacked statistics, it makes little sense to me.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 PM
iPad, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Regrding highlighted bit:
How am I supposed to see how they now track streaks as anything more than cludgey/annoying? Getting a big winning streak might be fun but I'm not about to leave the app running in the background for weeks just to keep this stat going. Unless this is a clever way to avoid some hacked statistics, it makes little sense to me.
Big fan of this game, and since I'm actually the guy who suggested the streak tracking in the first place, maybe I can shed some light. The idea was indeed to prevent players from cheating the streak stats by exiting games in progress. I agree with the dev that this is a good thing, but the fact that one game begins automatically after the previous one ends does currently seem to make it impossible even to exit to the top level of the game without resetting the streak counts, which I agree with you is not such a good thing.

When I mentioned this to the dev over email, he wrote me back quickly that he appreciated the problem and had a solution in mind, so I think there's a pretty good chance that this will be less kludgey by the time v1.03 rolls around.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:51 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffishtenant View Post
Big fan of this game, and since I'm actually the guy who suggested the streak tracking in the first place, maybe I can shed some light. The idea was indeed to prevent players from cheating the streak stats by exiting games in progress. I agree with the dev that this is a good thing, but the fact that one game begins automatically after the previous one ends does currently seem to make it impossible even to exit to the top level of the game without resetting the streak counts, which I agree with you is not such a good thing.

When I mentioned this to the dev over email, he wrote me back quickly that he appreciated the problem and had a solution in mind, so I think there's a pretty good chance that this will be less kludgey by the time v1.03 rolls around.
Never was a fan of the auto-restart.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:10 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

After 30+ games on varying difficulty (edit: meanwhile I win most of the time) I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. It is like those solitaire card games I used to play as a child- sometimes the cards are simply against you from the beginning, not much tactics involved here. I used SHE perhaps three times, to win only one of the three with her ironically, so it's not a big deal just to keep her in the pocket. Not much longevity here either- 50 wins to unlock a single new survival card? Mind you, it's not a bad app. But I remember the complaints when beloved Dungeon Solitaire came out- game of pure luck, no tactics etc. Now, Rootwork relies 85 % on lucky draw, ok, there are the pockets and the jokers of different kind, but summarized, not much variety. I got the feeling after two hours that I have seen mostly everything. How many games are you supposed to play to get ONE additional survival card? (thinking of Spectromancer where you get new things almost every round) The video storytelling is ok, but I'd prefer more gameplay instead. 3 stars out of 5 for me.

Last edited by abstractgamefreak; 07-26-2013 at 12:23 PM..
Old 12-20-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelCopter View Post
Can anyone make heads or tails of the "i solve" puzzle? I stared at it for like 3 hours and all I managed was to toss my cards into ugly piles and make 3 little clouds swirl around the whirlpool thing. Are the clouds good? I have no idea where to even start, although I have a sinking suspicion that it has to do with the unlockable story cutscenes. I tried googling for a guide but it seems like nobody has a clue anywhere!
I got a whole ton of swirling thingies. They are really hard to count. I tried creating a pattern with one corner of cards that created the most swirlies and recreating it in other corners but that didn't seem to to the trick. It looks like the four corners are the four suits. But, I'm not sure the order within that.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quizoid View Post
I got a whole ton of swirling thingies. They are really hard to count. I tried creating a pattern with one corner of cards that created the most swirlies and recreating it in other corners but that didn't seem to to the trick. It looks like the four corners are the four suits. But, I'm not sure the order within that.
Okay... I just solved it.

The solution seems to have no logic to me... At least I. Can't see it. Unless they are stories.

But, the swirlies communicate to you if you're on the right track and if you have it. Just do one corner at a time.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
To avoid the temptation I try to use her up in the soonest avaialble "Hide" opportunity.

So any other gameplay tips folk want to share?

1) Use the heck out of hiding (turning any card into half a wild symbol), it will save your butt!
2) I tend to go through the Site decks in a very systematic manner starting with the upper left deck. If I capture the site I continue to use that pile but if I lthen either see the site there is undesirable or know I don't have the symbols I need to defeat it at hand, I move onto the next deck in a clockwise manner. It's a far from perfect system but a bit easier to remember which Site pile I last used.
3) I sometimes use the power of hiding just to unload a card. Only covering half a hazard/site symbol serves no real purpose but the game allows it and it can be a handy way to unload a potential excess of 1 symbol in your current hand.
4) Lastly, again all about hiding, if a Menace blocks your use of a certain type of card, you can still use that card in a hide action, you just can't play it face up on this round.
I concur. A few more tips:

1) Waste Cards: As mentioned above, hiding with lots of those 1-symbol cards is a great idea. Generally, you want to be able to stuff your pockets, but besides that, the more cards you use the more you get. It sounds counter-intuitive, but I often use two face-down MATCHING cards on a challenge just to unload more cards. Sometimes, I half-solve a card just to unload cards, too. You want to hold onto some doubles and wilds and draw lots of sunshine/carins/wilds/doubles.
2) Put your worse cards in your pockets: At first, I thought of my pockets as a special spot to save good cards. But, you keep all your cards. The pockets are just a restricted zone where you only get to use one of those. You might need to use more than one of your best cards.
3) Solve unnecessary quests: Even if you don't need the symbol it's often a good idea to solve a quest anyway. Don't necessarily use your best cards, but if you do it has a few benefits: you get a fresh card underneath (I've hit four "pointless walls" before), if you haven't had a storm yet you're getting rid of garbage so you don't see it again.
4) Solve the puzzle. The card you get for it is SO GOOD! Won't spoil what it does, though.
5) Know you're gonna lose: The game is random. I've won every trick and just never seen the symbols I need to win. I think I'm playing as optimally as possible and my win/lose ratio is still only a little better than 3:2.