Using the iCade with existing iPad cases?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Neehan, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Hey everyone,

I just got an iPad and am thinking about getting the iCade core. I have a backing case on my iPad and would hate to take it off every time I want to use the iCade. Will the iPad fit in the iCade core with a case on the iPad?

Thanks

2. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    That's exactly the problem I had, so I bought an 8-bitty instead.

3. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    The stuff I've read said the button layout is weird on those. But that was when it first came out. How is the button layout on the 8-bitty now?

4. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    I've been playing gridlee on it a lot, it seems fine to me.

Today I played

Moon Cresta, mr do, Galatians, new rally x, bubble bobble, 10 yard fight, joust, pacman, lunar rescue and a dozen other games. I've not noticed any problems.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Our iPad is in a Belkin leather case. When I put it in the iCade, I just put the top flap behind the stand bit, and same for when setting it horizontal in front of the cabinet. Works fine both ways.

[​IMG]

6. Attached Files:

7. #7 Connector, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    Just decided to repost it to make it easier for everyone, but goto the hdmi thread for a lot of info on the icade core and Gameloft duo gamer joystick.

Repost of a question I've been getting alot about the icade core, will it work with cases.

The short answer, yes with almost all slim and medium cases. Bulky cases, probably not. But use it as a wireless bluetooth joystick, with ipad on a table, and icade code in your lap. Or use it with HDMI.

The icade core is very light, so playing it on my lap for hours is really no problem. It actually is very comfortable cause both hands can rest on the lip of the joystick, so there is very little hand fatigue. It is a nice sturdy design, I have been very pleasantly surprised.

The button springs are pretty stiff though, so your fingers may get a little tired in button mashing games. Can see why some people choose to modify it, but the buttons aren't bad, and they will probably loosen up a little over time.

While it's nice to play in the slot, a lot of times, it's funner not too and beat the hell out of your joystick playing fast and furious games like Metal Slug. Also, the best way to play of course hehe, is hdmi tv. You get a true console experience, and can keep your ipad somewhere where it can be connected to hdmi and power, so you can play all day long with no power issues or ipad weight issues. Put your icade core in your lap, and you are in heaven.

Attached Files:

8. Don't get a bitty over a core, the button mapping is messed up and the joystick is solid on the core. Someone told me the bitty is not made by ion too.

The icade core works great in hour lap as a wireless joystick, with or without your ipad. Plus for hdmi, it works great cause you are totally wireless.

Attached Files:

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yo Connector, does the stick on the iCade click when it hits each direction?

10. Yo Midian bro,

Yes, it makes a lot of clicking sounds. The buttons too are very loud.

If a pony or person is sleeping next to you, it may wake them up.

Otherwise if it is just by yourself, it is not annoying at all, adds to the fun, and use a blasting soundbar to drown it out if you like. :)

Attached Files:

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah, I want the clicking. Does the Spectaculator app support iCade? That would be the main reason I get one. Classic clicky sticks on Speccy games. I suppose I could go and check the topic...

12. #12 Connector, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    Spectaculator? What the heck is that? Here are a list of icade core games. And if you like clicking and noise, you will love the icade core joystick.

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/icade-games

Good shmups and others I recommend.

As for shmups

Danmaku 2
    Phoenix hd
    Blazing star (surprised no mentions, GREAT Hdmi tv game)
    Raiden Legacy
    Super crossfire hd
    Stormstrikers
    Space inversion 2 hd
    Neoteria
    Air attack hd
    Velocispider
    Super ox wars
    Warblade hd
    Bsquadron
    Shogun
    Invasion Strike

Kinda in order. Honorable mentions to Metal slug x, tabletop racing, mikey shorts, kung fu rabbit, terra noctis, skyriders, paper monsters, gunman clive, ice rage, vertex blaster, dont run with a plasma lightsaber, pix n rush, dynamite jack, goatup 1&2, frogger decades, and Muffin Knight. These are not shmups though...

Attached Files:

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
  14. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Spectaculator works fine with it, I was playing imagine's Jumping Jack on my 8-bitty earlier :)

15. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Thanks for all the great info. The core definitely looks awesome and for its current amazon price of $35 I can't pass it up.

I'm going to be travelling for a while and need to pack as light as possible. That's why I was thinking the 8-bitty would be nice too. Perhaps the iCade Mobile has better mapping and that seems to be made by ION. I'm sure I could just use that with my ipad even though its designed for a phone.

16. Yeah, $35 is a steal for the icade core. Especially cause it feels so rugged and strong, it feels kinda like a $100 stick.

For ultraportability, 8 bitty and icade mobile are good. But lots of people have had complaints with button mapping to the start/game select buttons which sucks big time. Others were reporting that it felt flimsy.

The icade mobile (pictured) seems like a great alternative, and seems like it works with an ipad too (even though it seems designed more for the iphone), but I could never get any feedback on it here.

Even getting info on the core was tough, not many people have them yet, but there has been an incredible amount of interest this week, so I am happy. I got 6 developers committed to trying to implement icade into their games recently, so the future is bright.

One thing to note is that not all icade games will work with the icade mobile or 8 bitty!!!! Most all games work with the original or core. Check this website to see which games won't play on the icade mobile or 8 bitty. But yeah, I think I would buy an icade mobile over the 8 bitty cause it is made by ion.

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/icade-games

Maybe if there anyone that has an icade mobile and plays on an ipad, they can post their experiences. Thanks.

Attached Files:

17. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Alright so I bought the Core. I'll leave some impressions once it arrived.

Still thinkin about the iCade Mobile. I want to research more and find out how the button mapping is on it. Any impressions on the Mobile would be great.

18. Alright! Welcome to the fast growing club! You will live your icade core, I guarantee it.

Everytime, I ask about the mobile, no one responds. Kinda strange. Maybe it is because it doesn't support all icade games and isn't really designed for ipad, though, it is rumoured that it works fine with ipad.

When you get your icade core, make sure to read/post in the icade and hdmi threads cause there is alot of good info there with screenshots. Also, give hdmi or appletv a try with a core for a true console/arcade wireless experience.

Enjoy your icade core.

Signed,
    Connector
    President of the Icade Core Joystick Loverz Club

Attached Files:

19. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I would like some impressions on the iCade mobie as well, seems like the best choice for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

20. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, the clicking is significantly louder than you'd expect, but to me, it actually added to the enjoyment of feeling like a cabinet. I had the problem of not being able to fit my ipad in there without taking off my leather case, which ultimately made me make the decision to get rid of the iCade because it wasn't worth the hassle to me. Wasn't the first time I spent money for something I really didn't need, and it won't be the last, I'm sure! :D