Why No iOS "Bundle" Deals?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Jul 1, 2013.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I've been getting back into computer gaming and am amazed by all the "bundle" deals that pop up. Basically various sites put together packages of redeem codes for games on (even across marketplaces) and sell it for one low price. I find it curious that iOS developers do not join in one these festivities. It would offer some profit versus making games totally free (as frequently happens on iOS) and might bring attention to an overlooked game. Initially I suspected it would be hard to generate access through App Store but we've now seen sites like Starbucks, Facebook, or IGN generate largescale quantities of endless redeem codes so potentially the same could be done with cost attached. Maybe this is just me amusing myself with advances in game distribution but it seems like there's a lot of marketing possibilities on iOS that are curiously overlooked. The only iOS example that I recall seeing was multiple games packaged together in one actual app (but I can't find the link).

Here is a link with examples of Bundle deals, some even include Android codes: http://indiegamebundle.wikia.com/wiki/Indie_Game_Bundle_Wiki

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I wondered about this myself, having taken advantage of several Humble Bundle deals for Android. Seems like a great idea since they can benefit charity (at least the HB one does) and you get some great games or a good price (like Frozen Synapse was a bundle before it was even officially released on Android).

I think some of it has to do with the open nature of PC and Android in that you can download a game from any source. So the devs can provide the apps/games to the organizations providing the bundles and you download and update games directly from them.

That's not possible with the closed App Store (well it is, but not in the legal sense). Promo codes can only get you so far. These groups sell unlimited amounts for a certain period of time. There would have to be some way that Apple worked things out to do stuff like this.

3. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Would definitely love to see Humble Bundle have an iOS bundle one day. As far as from what I understand, it shouldn't be too hard. It would be similar to a developer handing out promo codes for their app, though with a price.

4. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #4 undeadcow, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
    That's a good point. One hypothetical obstacle that stands out might be some limitations set by Apple. If developers are issuing promo codes directly to consumers there's a chance Apple would see that as competative against them. I don't understand all the inner workings of App Store so that might now be the case. However, if Apple allows widespread "free" promo code distribution then they might not object to profitable but reduced cost codes or even charity events. I guess it depends on how much freedom or behind the scenes discounts Apple supports in allowing developers to circumvent their marketplace to set their own prices.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I believe HumbleBundle tried to do so with Apple some time ago and ran into a brick wall.

There's no way for developers to generate more codes as one can with Steam/Desura or sideload the app software like you could on an android device. Apple's gotta have their cut, and noone can afford the cost/time to gift their app to everybody.

Some times it surprises me that Steam & Desura allow for this - if you think of it, I end up paying a 3rd party for a key which then uses their resources to download and run software.

6. CrystalFortress

CrystalFortress Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    As a developer I'd love to be able to do some bundles. I plan on doing my own bundles for some desktop platforms but Apple simply don't offer us a feasible way of doing this. With each app and each successive update we only get 50 promo codes which we means we could never do any high volume bundle. You can't even buy an app and gift it as the app becomes linked to the account that bought it.

7. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Well, it could serve as an entry point into their platform. I have bought almost all of the bundles since I first saw it. A
    Humble iOS bundle would sound really appealing.

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I wonder how websites like Starbucks or IGN are able to generate massive quantities of promo codes; I doubt they are paying full price for them behind the scenes.

9. CrystalFortress

Apr 21, 2013
    Are these places generating large amounts of promo codes? What sort of evidence do you have for that?

10. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #10 undeadcow, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
    The promo code generation is inactive now since the deals are expired but here are TA reference links of third parties (non-Apple) unleashing seemingly endless supplies of promo codes free.

/\ Horn retails for a premium price so IGN paying retail for each code seems unlikely.

/\ Maybe Disney is just purchasing redeem codes at the loss of paying out Apple $0.30 (or Apple's fee) for each redeem since they have an affiliation with WMW (?).

I don't see why another third party couldn't set up a similar system and charge a reduced fee to dispense links for a number of codes (i.e. Humble Bundle style). PC bundles generate similar seemingly endless codes for the likes of GOG, Steam, Desura, etc to mix games into a bundle so with this style of App Store code generation, as seen above, it could work... in theory.

11. CrystalFortress

Apr 21, 2013
    Certainly interesting. I can't see anything in Apple's documentation to support giving away more than your allotted codes, perhaps it can be done through contacting them directly and trying to negotiate a deal which probably wouldn't be a dead end for IGN but could well be for an indie in the Humble Bundle.

12. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    EA has had deals where you go to their website and get codes for one of four games and given thousands away at a time.

13. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Perhaps it would just take a dedicated or well known mediator to coordinate with Apple to make redeem code based bundling work. However, it's also odd that someone like IGN might have more ability to work this out than an indie developer would over their own app. I would be curious to hear specific indication of what obstacles the Humble Bundle people faced with Apple and a cursory web search doesn't reveal much.

14. CrystalFortress

Apr 21, 2013
    IGN has a bit more reputation than say me. I'd also like to see what exactly those guys had trouble with.

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    For those talking about promo codes, that's not really the way Humble Bundle and Indie Bundle operate. To my knowledge, they work directly with the devs and basically are given free reign to sell their games, giving the devs a portion of the profit, the organizers and charities.

This works because PC and Android games don't have to go through a central distribution channel like the App Store. No codes, no third party to deal with. Just the devs and the organizers. So it really is Apple that would have to change things for it to work on iOS.

16. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I agree that Humble/Indie Bundle don't operate by redeem codes but on Steam many bundles do so that is one "loophole" that I wondered if it might allow bundling on iOS without having to cut through Apple's red tape.

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Starbucks manages somehow.

Another rarely used option is to have a code redeeming function in the app, and have the debs do their own codes.

18. OneEyeAnt

OneEyeAnt Active Member

19. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Cool. I'm not quite tempted by this particular bundle, but it's very encouraging that the precedent has been set.

20. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Well said, I'm curious to see how this bundle works. If wonder if you acquire a redeem code after purchase or some other sort of direct download method.