Advice on New Game & Early Game Play

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by DJMoya, Mar 31, 2011.

1. DJMoya

DJMoya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Arcade Attendant
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    #1 DJMoya, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
    Early game trailer

Hello, This is an early glimpse at a game im working on.Ive been working on it for about a month now. And I think i got the basic game mechanics down. It will be released on OSX and IOS devices. Its a 2d plat-former a mix of contra, super meat boy, and my crazy imagination. The music and graphics are all done by me. Some images for the backgrounds were bought from stock photo website till i draw / paint my own. Please take a look at the videos and let me know what you think of the progress so far maybe some changes that may need to be done before it starts getting more polished. Thanks :)

ps. Im new to the forums on here how do i embed youtube videos directly to a post? Thanks

pss. Is there a way to change the name of the thread? Just noticed a lot of other threads basically named the same.

2. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    [youtube]youtube code (after = sign)[/youtube

3. DJMoya

DJMoya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Arcade Attendant
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    #3 DJMoya, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
    Thanks Epox :)

4. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    - Retina display would be epic.
    - Also, online racing will be awesome. It would add so much more re-playability to the game.
    - Game looks like it needs more overall polish.
    - Will there be power-ups and all that? (different characters, environments)

5. DJMoya

DJMoya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Arcade Attendant
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Online gameplay hasnt been added but might be in future updates.
    2 player co-op and battle /race will be in the ipad and osx version.

There are only basic power ups now like extra, ninja star ammo, extra health, and bonus life for every 1000 points. But i plan on more weapons/power ups and abilities for each character.

There will be different levels in the game. Such as a cave, city roof tops, forests ect.. I will be working on new graphics and animations as the game progresses.

6. NamazuSam

NamazuSam Active Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Game developer at Namazu Studios
    San Diego, CA
    What are the controls like on the iPhone?

7. DJMoya

DJMoya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Arcade Attendant
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    #7 DJMoya, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
    Touch Direction pad on the left the up is to jump and the button to attack on the right
    To throw ninja stars just tap on the screen where you want to throw them.Tap and drag and you can make the ninja stars curve. On OSX you will use WASD / arrow keys and mouse. Ill also post pics on here when polish more graphics and the UI. :)

edit: I may also ad an option to control the ninja with the gyro on iphone and ipad tilt left and right and tilt forward or maybe shake to jump? it could be interesting...

8. Janus

Janus Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Game Development
    London
    It looks like the type of game I'd play if I lived in 'South Park' :)

9. DJMoya

DJMoya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Arcade Attendant
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Lol thanks I think :) Should i add more depth to the characters such as this

[​IMG]

Im not sure if I should keep it flat 2d characters like it is now or make it sudo 3d as the image above? They are still block ninjas... What do you guys think? The graphics can be changed pretty easily. The above image is just a quick moc up.

10. Janus

Janus Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Game Development
    London
    Hey DJMoya, I think you should keep it how it is... the look is distinct and querky, will help your game stand out more... and the text jumping around with the characters...again weird and different...but very cool! Don't bother with 3D, think you have a cool game as it is...and the trailer is funny...I think if you tried to 'polish' this game it would just loose its querky/cult appeal...

When you are done, try sending it to one of the more 'oddball' game sites like Destructoid or Krapps, somewhere like that...

What are your SFX like? If you can add quality and funny sfx that would give it something extra too..

The only thing I might work on are the little sprites that you use for when the character attacks something...think they just need a little more detail...

Other than that it looks funny, different, and enjoyable..

(P.S It does remind me of South Park, which must be a good thing right? :)

11. DJMoya

DJMoya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Arcade Attendant
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    #11 DJMoya, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
    Thanks Janus, the sudo 3d look added in does make it kinda lose the wacky graphics of the game. The sound fx have not been added yet but will be high and low pitch voices depending on the characters size. They will probably make sounds like the sims gibberish on the un frequent time of speeching with a pop up dialog box. The basic sound fx will edited 8 bit sounds for the most part. Attacking and jumping ect..will have a random group of sounds so they will not get annoying. The extra life power up and all other sound effects volume will be set with the box ninjas position. So lets say the life power up heart beat sound effect will be barely audible if its just out of the screen and gets louder in the direction of where its at when you get closer. Which may help in finding hidden areas in the game.
    The music will be techno and rock composed by me. The songs will be influenced by traditional japanes songs.

12. DJMoya

DJMoya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Arcade Attendant
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Thanks for all the support, feedback and ideas any more suggestions are welcome :)

13. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    #13 Nullroar, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
    I highly recommend using a different text font for the "HELL YEAH" etc notifications. You may also want to have the text letters themselves either animated (perhaps alternating/looping very quickly between 2 or 3 slightly different frames so it looks dynamic and vibrant), or accompanied with some various effects, such as splatter or artistic exclamation marks.

At the moment, it seems to me that the text is jarringly out-of-place and average in an otherwise strange and fun game.

14. DJMoya

DJMoya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Arcade Attendant
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    The text is going to just flash for maybe half a second and fade out along with a sound effect and is going to be totally different font and style :) that text in the video was pretty much a place holder till i got more graphics done. I might make it animated but ill see how it looks. I like the splatter idea with some particle effects or something hmm..

Ill post a screen shots or video as soon as i come up with something :)

I also added some slashes and punch graphics / effects to the game and more sound effects. Plus changed the blue particles that come out when attacking :)

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The gameplay looks really good, I'm already looking forward to this. The graphics need a bit of cleaning up but I kinda like the style you've got already. It reminds me a lot of Aqua Teen Hunger Force... if you haven't seen it, it's an animated TV program and it's basically all done with Photoshop and After Effects so lots of the objects and scenery have a bit of a stock photo look to them. It works really well if you can get it right.

16. DJMoya

DJMoya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Arcade Attendant
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    #16 DJMoya, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
    Thanks MidianGTX, Im working hard now on the graphics and sound with my days off of work. Im glad you like what you have seen so far. Aqua Teen Hunger Force is an awesome show. Hopefully I can capture a good sense of humor to the game to make it more enjoyable. My graphic tools are mostly Photoshop and Pixen. For audio I use FL Studio and GarageBand.

Ill be starting a Kickstarter project soon to help me finish the game. Its going to have some pretty awesome rewords. Such as having your self in the game as playable Block Ninja in the style of the game. Im choosing to use Kickstarter to connect with people willing to help an indie game developer out with bills, time and ideas. Three big factors in getting this game finished. With more time off work and funds to help pay for licenses and credit card debt due to new iMac and to get old and new hardware to test the game on. Will help immensely in getting this game polished and ready for a summer release in the OSX and IOS app store.
    Making this game by my self for iphone ipad and osx is pretty daunting at times spending almost all my free time on it after getting off of work is rough.
    Hopefully this all pays off and ends up with a great game thats fun and addictive. :)

One thing i may add is a level editor which would make re-playability even better. But will require a lot of work.

edit: Anyone know if its ok to have a game on Steam and on OSX app store?

17. Janus

Janus Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Game Development
    London
    Sure, you can have a game on steam and the app store...

World of Goo... Flight Control... Galcon ..are examples..

But you have to pitch your game to Steam, it's not like the app store..

18. DJMoya

DJMoya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Arcade Attendant
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Sweet wasn't too sure if it had to be exclusive to either store for a certain amount of time. Steam is probably harder to get on then the app store im guessing. But im sure if the game does well on the app store it will be more likely to get approved for steam.

19. Janus

Janus Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Game Development
    London
    I worked on a game called Plain Sight that shipped to Steam. In my opinion they are the biggest help (financially) to indie devs in the whole game community. In a lot of steam 'sales' they take the financial hit and pass on a greater potion of the sales revenue to the devs.

You might want to think about showing your game off to steam before the app store. If I had to pick between the two I would go with steam any day.

(It is very unlikely that your game would be accepted but you never know, they took on the retro-hit VVVVV about 6moths ago, so you never know. Like I said the more funky and distinct the better in my view....while on the subject of wierd and wacky games... 'War Twat' is another example...totally messed-up and wierd game, hardly even a game but it made a splash in the indie comunity because it was different...

20. DJMoya

DJMoya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Arcade Attendant
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Thanks again Janus, Nice game by the way. Ill give Steam a try. Its always worth a shot :) .