Big shocker, Retinapad app no longer needed for ipad 3rd gen!!!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by the loafer, Mar 20, 2012.

1. the loafer

the loafer Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    #1 the loafer, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    Used to jailbreak, didn't find I needed it that much anymore so I dropped it a few months ago. However, I did miss one app: retinapad.

This may be known by you guys/gals already but in case it is not, with the ipad 3, it seems to trigger the "retina" graphics in iphone 4/4s games when played on the ipad 3. You still get the "2X" option but once blown up, the text is not bad but the big boost is some of the games look spectacular. I just tested this with NBA Jam, which the iphone version looked like crap on my ipad 1, but looked great through retinapad when I had it jailbroken since it was tricked into loading the iphone 4's retina enable graphic assets. Now, on my brand spankin' new ipad third gen, it looks fantastic, without retinapad, just by enabling the 2X option at the bottom right of the screen.

This may mean some of those "ipad only" purchases are no longer necessary (unless they have unique controller options or are improved with native ipad 3rd gen retina support). So if you have the iphone version of NBA Jam, or Peggle, there may not need to be a reason to upgrade to ipad version.

Keep this in mind and please test if you can and report back. I can't have been the first person to see this right?

Loaf

2. kujen

kujen Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2012
    I noticed it right away, on cut the rope, scramble with friends, etc. Very happy about that :p

3. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Yup, glad apple finally did it. One less reason to jailbreak. I still want my emulators though.

4. the loafer

the loafer Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Cool to see confirmation.

Do people realize what Apple may have done here? In one move, they've provided support for their own marketing term "retina" by providing consistency amongst their iOS devices, which in turn gives much appreciated kudos to those ipad "3rd gen" owners... but in another move, they've probably pissed off a lot of developers!

Let's take a closer look at this. Many of these iphone games (with retina support but not universal) are selling for a buck while the "ipad only" version of same game is selling for 2-5 bucks most of the time, yet with no other advantages except perhaps for the control layout more befitting the larger screen real estate of the ipad and even then, that's not always the case.

Is this Apple's way of "motivating" devs to start going Universal? Are devs out there surprised of this move by Apple? Has there ever been gentle "nudging" by Apple for devs to go one way more than another? Is this Apple's way of saying "hey, if you want to add real support for an ipad version, better make that extra $ count by providing REAL retina support for the full ipad next gen's retina"?

5. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Indeed, Well done apple!!

Also lesser reason for people to double-dip if devs are bent on releasing non-universal builds.

6. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I would still pay extra for the iPad app if there were two versions.

7. what

what Member

Aug 9, 2009
    med student
    philippines
    I'd rather have and HD universal release and a separate iphone release. buying games twice when you have both an ipad and iphone gets really annoying