Universal The Blockheads - (by Majic Jungle Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 9, 2013.

1. JEFFG-TX

JEFFG-TX Active Member

Aug 30, 2011
  2. JEFFG-TX

JEFFG-TX Active Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Eating seems to heal even if you aren't hungry. My health was at 0 and I just ate 4-5 oranges and it is now around 50%.

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I wish there was better customisation for your character as I kept pressing random but could never find a guy with red hair? :confused:

4. dwx882

dwx882 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Wow....do you own stock in Mojang or something? :p

Minecraft may be the "mother" of exploring and crafting games but let's face it, they've started a genre and just as Junk Jack took the Minecraft formula and added its own twists, so has The Blockheads. Personally I like this game. It's familiar enough to yet adds new elements into the mix. Though the waiting does feel a bit repetitive.

5. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Still haven't managed to start a multiplayer game.
    Every time it connects through game centre the app crashes.

Maybe its a conflict where the game can't decide which player world to load up? Considering there is no differentiation between hosting and joining I guess this is very likely.:(

6. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    The longer I play this the more I'm enjoying it. Paying to speed up the timers is totally worth it if you intend on playing it for long.
    Here's a quick pic of my little house so far, I haven't managed to get far into the distance, but I have managed to plant orange and mango trees outside my house.

Attached Files:

7. Pbarillas

Pbarillas Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Just now... I kinda burnt my house Down.

8. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Fully agree. I played for about 30-60 minutes before buying the speed-up IAP (which I guess is a one-time IAP.) I still think that the dev should implement something to help those who buy the speed up IAP (5 free crystals/day anyone? :D)

Game wise, I have Junk Jack and this one. Blockheads is much more casual/less demanding than Junk Jack. As somebody said before, this game is perfect to play while you are doing other things at the same time. Just "program" your character to do several tasks, explore the environment while he's doing them, continue doing your real-world tasks meanwhile, etc.

Crafting is also much easier on this one than on Junk Jank (at least for now). With this I don't mean that one of the systems is better than the other, just different. Blockheads is easier to grab by casual gamers who, as me, don't have too much time to play, learn recipes to craft things, etc. Junk Jack is in my opinion more for people who can invest hours playing with it.

My greatest fear is the time invested on crafting as I get further in the game (How long will it take me to build a boat, for example?)

For this, if I were the developer, I'd take one of these two ways:

1. Make crafting time go by even when you quit the app.
    2. Make the maximum crafting time something affordable (5 minutes for the most complex craft, for example)

Option 1 collides with getting tired, cold, etc. Should time pass for all game aspects, or just crafting time? Option 2 collides with the crystal in-game currency philosophy. In any case, I really expect that after 20 hours of gameplay, the game continues being as playable, enjoyable and fantastic as it is now at the beginning.

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Finally got a chance to play and while the game looks and plays great, is way too slow to keep me interested. Not sure why, but digging/mining in Minecraft or JunkJack doesn't bug me as much as watching my blockhead wiggle his arm. (Though it's 8th grade humorous digging diagonally down in front of you while perched on the wall as it looks like s/he's trying to disperse gas...)

10. shadax

shadax Active Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Achievement unlocked!

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Talking Blockheads in 3... 2... 1...

12. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I've never been able to get into minecraft. Somehow it just never appealed to me.

But holy CRAP I love this game!

13. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    This intrigued me, so much so, that I have just downloaded and immediately paid the £1.99 for the permanent halve time IAP for crafting.

I have never played Minecraft or any of its derivatives. Yet, when I originally read this thread, something indefinable pulled me in.

Riko Tachibana has landed on Japan (my World), and I've been inspired by oooooomonkey's lovely homestead to create one of my own. First things first: need to make basic tools and then survey my immediate area. A sandy beach and the sea to the West, and trees, sunflowers and other fauna to the East. Also, a couple of what appears to be sheep! My only interaction with the sheep has been to slap them - Riko doesn't seem to understand the concept of 'pet'.

@virtualboyfreak, thanks for your detailed feedback on the different Minecraft derivatives - you sold me on the game. My friend is playing a similiar game on Android and is horribly addicted. I'll show him 'Blockheads' when he pops over at the weekend - ostensibly for Red Dead Redemption on the Xbox 360.

@oooooomonkey, once my homestead is up and running, I'll also post a screen-shot.

Could others post screen-shots of their progress or disasters? I'd especially like to see the charred ruins of Pbarillas' homestead :p

14. lyace21

lyace21 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Can anyone tell me how to use the voice chat option? My friend and I had the voice chat option on but we still could not hear each other. Please help. Thanks! :)

15. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Bugs Bugs Bugs

Tried to use multiplayer;
    Full of holes, pun intended.

it partially works with direct invites but the both of us experienced bug after bug, voice chat bugs, one of us had a black screen on a try, the other had the loading screen stuck on a try, one time voice chat was very quiet.

When it worked it worked a max 10 mins.

Game centre random search still doesn't work for me, it only even partially works when you try to connect to some one specific.

16. bobehm

bobehm Active Member

Dec 6, 2012
    #96 bobehm, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
    Am I blind? I don't see where to purchase IAP to reduce crafting time.

Never mind. I found it. It's under the time crystal menu not the pause menu where the other IAP is.

17. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

You may want to check out Junk Jack if you liked this one. In my opinion it's a much better game than this, although there is slightly more of a learning curve required, especially with the crafting.

18. KookiWooki

KookiWooki Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    This game looks very intresting. I must download it. ;)

19. NekroWolfen

NekroWolfen Active Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Have anyone buyed the "spawn a portal everywhere" option? It's worth 100 crystals, so I'm between that or another blockhead. Also have anyone found big amounts of crystals? I just got 102 crystals.

20. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Junk Jack is fantastic and if you like Blockheads you should at least give a try to Junk Jack, but the learning curve for crafting is too time-consuming for me. And I've bought everything JJ has to offer! I just don't have time to sit and learn everything :p