I've upload the 6.5M zip file, but finally 14M in appstore

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by waigo21, Sep 20, 2009.

1. waigo21

waigo21 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I've upload the 6.5M zip file, but finally 14M in appstore.
    Well, why don't Apple keep the zip file in appstore. I have no idea about the performance issues while extracting zip file with iPhone's CPU...

PS: any Unity iPhone programmer here?

2. John

John Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    What? Since when does the appstore use the zip format for downloads? And the added drm also increases size.

3. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    zip = compressed

unzipped = not compressed

When it's compressed it's less memory but when it's not compressed it's the whole thing.

4. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    #4 arkanigon, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
    hmmm... it shouldn't be that different. The zip file size and the size that appears on the app store are around the same for me.

unless apple has changed something...

I'm not a Unity programmer. I'm only referring to regular Xcode...

Maybe Unity is different somehow... hope someone can clarify.

5. jaguard

jaguard Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    #5 jaguard, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
    ipa files are zips in fact. So there shouldn't be much of a difference.

PS: You can purchase your app, and look inside the ipa to see what happened.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Maybe Apple added subliminal messaging for all the iPod Touch owners who haven't paid for 3.0 yet.

7. DRM, in my experience, only adds about 1.5MB to the file size. So if your zip is 5MB, your app store size is 6.5MB. I've gotten burned a couple of times, releasing games that were 10.2MB or so big. But it's fairly consistent.

8. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    .ipa files are just renamed .zip files.

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Whatever Apple does to the apps makes Unity games in particular compress much worse than just zipping them the usual way. Mine's about 12MB when submitting, but it ends up 17MB in the store. However, if you decompress the .ipa file, it ends up 23MB, only 60K larger than the original.

--Eric

10. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    12Mb, 18Mb? WTF guys.. what ever happened to < 1Mb games? all our games are less than a meg, if apple adds 1.5mb for DRM; thats bollocks.

11. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I think my audio assets alone are going to be over 10mb, lol...I have some file trimming to do!

12. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    or.. use some compression :)

13. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    I remember in one of the Pocket God threads that the dev, either Dave or Allan, used alpha compression and it brought their app from a 24mb (i think don't quote me on this) down to the 10-13mb range. Again im not entirely sure.

14. waigo21

waigo21 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I developed the game with Unity iPhone. I compressed the images with PVRTC, however, some large images, such as splash, backgrounds, menu backgrounds, are still heavy(50k~70k).

any suggestions?

15. Mike_011972

Mike_011972 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    #15 Mike_011972, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
    It's one of the known things (problems) about Unity iPhone. For what ever reason, when Apple finishes with it, it's an extra 3-4 Meg bigger. No idea why?
    Just released a game (Solitaire Siege) using iTGB and after Apple finished with it, it was an extra 1.5 MB bigger, but Unity is a hell of a lot better to develop then iTGB (my personal opinion of course) and I would really stick with it.

Cheers,
    Mike Moore.
    App Store Link:
    Solitaire Siege Game Page
    Follow me on Twitter

16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why that would be desirable? You can't have much content with sizes that small...the title music alone for my game is 748K, and that's more compressed than usual. It's mildly interesting to get below 10MB so iPhone users can download over the air, but that has no effect on touch users, and some of the best selling games are 100s of MB.

--Eric

17. EFC

EFC Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    i had a thing similar to this... bust my gut getting my app down to 7MB in the unity console. uploaded and when it was accepted it was double that, 15mb on the store. with an app size at 24mb uncompressed.
    I went back to the release file.. did another unity build and it came in at 15mb.
    it looked like the release build had some 700k size textures in...
    thought i was going mad... but your post has made me question it.
    If you are compressing textures, then unchecking the box in build because it compresses to much you may want to check that.
    Ive submitted an update that added 2mb so im at 9 in theory out of unity.
    and i double checked it was the one i wanted...
    hopefully ill find out in a few days if the update comes through wrong size.

im not sure youll get better compression on 512's than 64k if you want them to look half decent. look elsewhere .. maybe your wavs... ask yourself if they need to be 44000 and stereo... if they are. i saved loads taking them down.

18. DonutGames

DonutGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    I've noticed a similar thing with all my purchased apps.

A while back, all IPA-files in the "Mobile Application" folder on my hard drive had about the same size as if I would unzip and zip the folder myself in WinZip or Total Commander.

Not sure if it was after upgrading from iTunes 8.x to 9, or the iPhone OS from 2.x to 3, but nowaways the IPA files have the same size as if I'd zip the folder with the store / no compression option.

Not sure why, but it looks like Apple has skipped the compression of IPA files!?!

19. EFC

EFC Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    my 9mb out of unity turned into 15.9mb
    first version was 8mb out of unity, 15.7mb on itunes.
    so .. looks like either im doing something wrong or unity is adding 6 to 7 mb