Editor's Choice Awards 2010 on Touchgen

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Dec 31, 2010.

?

What do you think about their selection?

1. Great

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. Good

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  3. Okay

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. Awful

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
  2. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    It's nice to see Bit.Trip Beat take best music game. Neuroshima Hex should have been in the strategy game section as well as board game, and wins for strategy in my book. But ultimately who cares about TG right, especially here.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Starts off good and slowly begins to decline, making it an okay list by the time we get to the end.

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I agree with a lot of it not sure Galaxy if Fire 2 is an adventure game but it definitely deserved to win something. Really the only one I really disagree with is Street Fighter IV it's really just not that good it looks the part but it's missing tons and controls horribly. Dondonpachi is much better.

5. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    It sucked! LEGO HP doesn't win an award, Aralon doesn't win an award, and IB is GOTY?! And best Action Game?! And Spiderman not even nominated?! Yeah, it sucked.

6. mpf189

mpf189 Active Member

Dec 11, 2010
    IB just didn't do it for me, pretty game but too repetitive for me.

7. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

IB wasn't bad, just, there are WAYYYYY Better games that were released this year. I don't agree with Touchgen on their GOTY descision.

8. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Reasons people pick Infinity Blade as GOTY:

1. It just came out and it's the only game they remember of the year.

2. It was uber over-hyped and they don't want it to go to waste.

3. The graphics are good, the only outstanding part of the on-rails, 20-minute long game.

4. It's only for advanced iPods and they need to brag about their new tech.

9. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    As much as I love(d) Infinity Blade, I'd have to agree. It was game of the year for me for about a week, but now I barely touch it. After playing through over 25 bloodlines, and leveling up to level 42, I'm kind of tired of it. Maybe I just played it too much? :D But my interest may peek again after some more updates are released.

But we have to give them credit for having the testicular fortitude to go with an unconventional choice. Yeah, there are better games available, but Space Miner is a great game, and this is exactly the kind of recognition it deserves. But whether or not gaming sites should choose underdogs for the sake of choosing underdogs is a different discussion altogether.

10. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    The list was good, with the exception of Infinity Blade which doesn't deserve GOTY.

11. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Those are some very good and fair choices.

12. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    List is good, but borough is weird and infinity as goty is something I do not agree. But they did include lot of good titles!

13. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Yeah, between Touch Arcade, Slide to Play, and Touchgen, I think Touchgen has the best selection of nominees and winners. But I like Touch Arcade's choice for GOTY more.

14. leslie2233

leslie2233 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    im with you touchgen had way better selection but touch arcade goty was lame & IB is the best. Its meant for the ios compared to some other games. I liked Aralon more than IB before it came out until i played Aralon it wasn't what i expected.

15. leslie2233

leslie2233 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Hero of Sparta should have won the action game award or dungeon hunter 2. But alas infinity blade won. i much rather prefared dungeon hunter 2 than all these games th.ough

16. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Hero of Sparta 2 was terrible and dungeon hunter 2 is a RPG..lol.

17. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Based on GOTY and their picks, heres how I rank them:

1. STP
    2. TA
    3. TG

STP's covered all the good games this year and gave us a GOTY that I think most of us are actually fine with. TA's pick was ok. Touchgen's was HORRIBLE! :cool:

18. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #18 tsharpfilm, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
    Space Ore Bust has fun and depth; Infinity Blade just has fun. Space Ore Bust is a more complete package. But, personally, I don't think it's the best game of the year. I would have given that title to Galaxy on Fire 2 or GTA: Chinatown Wars.

:p

No... :D

19. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Even though GTA: CW is a great game, I don't feel it deserves game of the year because it is a direct port. I think a true iOS GOTY should be a game made natively for the iPhone and iPod Touch rather than a plain (and relatively easy to do) port.

The fact that Rockstar did port their game onto the touch screen was a big surprise (and maybe should have won the surprise category) but it does not deserve GOTY.

IB is good, but it is way overhyped because of its graphics. A GOTY needs to offer diversity.

Space Miner is very good actually. It looks great and has a long and interesting story.

Despite this I still feel there are better, more impressive yet native and detailed games that can beat it. I am thinking Galaxy on Fire 2??? (I have not played it but it seems pretty good).

Just my opinion. I guess everyone thinks differently.

20. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Very good point.

I've put about 18 hours into Galaxy on Fire 2 so far. For awhile, it was the only game I was playing. It's a great game that a lot of people think Touch Arcade should have at least mentioned.