Your favorite game of all time?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Teh_Ninja, May 1, 2012.

1. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    If I had to pick just one I'd have to pick Xcom UFO Unknown but it would be followed very closely by Chrono Trigger and Super Street Fighter 2.

2. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    ...and the original Tomb Raider.
    :)

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    This is one of the hardest questions you can ask a gamer... :p I really like Wings on PC, this local multiplayer cave shooter.

4. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I have a few...

Powerstone, RCT3, Battlefield (any), Willy Beamish, Just cause 2.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #25 backtothis, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
    I'd like to add Pokemon Crystal Version to the list. Not sure how I left that out. The Pokemon games on the GBC (first two generations) defined video games for my age group's childhood. Not sure how many hours I spent beating the Elite 4 and Red over 100 times so I could level up everything to 100. I'd also add Empire Earth to the list, making these games my top 5. I probably spent more time playing that RTS than every other game I've played in the past decade combined. Hundreds of hours. Then, Sierra shut down the multiplayer servers about four years ago.

Not going to bother including any online MMORPGs here since I don't really think they deserve it, but RuneScape and MapleStory were both pretty influential games in my life at one point, lol.

6. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Star Control 2 on the PC from waaay back, and the Diablo series

7. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    I figure I've been gaming for at least 25 years, so this question is nearly impossible.

I may have to go with Perfect Dark on N64.. Not just for the fantastic game and its infinite setup options, but also for the gazillion hours of good times with my friends playing that thing until sunrise.

WHY DON'T THEY LET US PLAY MULTIPLAYER GAMES ON ONE SCREEN IN THE SAME ROOM ANYMORE?!

...Actually, I know the answer. It's hardware sales. But dammit, I actually enjoy my friends' company. Headsets can't compare to chilling out together with some beers and butterless popcorn. Viva la Split-Screen!!

8. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    In The Groove 2. I've spent countless hours at the arcade playing this and still do.

9. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I have such fond memories of that game. I used to spend hours playing it with friends. I still remember doing some sniping mission in coop mode and having two targets to take down simultaneously. To be difficult, I shot at the wrong one and ruined the mission :(

I tried to play it on an emulator for my Mac, but it wasn't the same. I really want to find a way to play!

10. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    This is an impossible question to answer

11. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    toss-up between

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

although at this point, the former might have edged it out..

12. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    It really is! But with a gun to my head, I'd probably choose Quake 2, in particular capture the flag, as It was my first real 'proper' online experience which I continued to play for 9/10 years, including being involved in leagues and tournaments which were very well organised. :D

There was actually a sense of community too, as the following was relatively small by todays standards - it was all mIRC IRC & forums :)

13. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    You know thinking about games I've played a lot online I'd probably have to add Microsoft's Freelancer to my list, that's a game that really deserved a sequel I have some great memorys from playing online and some of the dogfighting was truely epic.

I really hope one day Galaxy on Fire or something else can capture it's essence.

14. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    +1 for Galaxy Of Fire MMO :)

I actually bought a Dreamcast to play PSO with a mate, perhaps that should be on high on my list also - tho the combat was caca it was pretty fun being in lobbies, seeing the text bubbles appear usually with random abuse or love =]

15. knoids

knoids Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    School
    Seattle WA (USA)
    #35 knoids, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
    I kind of like MW2 on xbox 360. Has anyone ever heard of Midnight Club? It sounds kinda bad, but it is actually a free world where you drive a car and is made by Rockstar Games.

EDIT: I do not own Battlefield 3, MW3, Gears of War 3, Madden 2012, or basically any new game.

2ND EDIT: I would probably like Grand Theft Auto, but I can't get it. At least I can understand why though.

16. knoids

knoids Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    School
    Seattle WA (USA)

I have a neighbor who (at least he used to) play's MapleStory 3-5 hrs a day. He tried to get me into it, but I found it dumb, lame, and repetitive. I seriously played it for about 5-7min before the game lost it's charm.

17. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy VI, Knights of the old Republic, the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series... With those games I could be left out on a desert island (with electricity and some comforts I hope) and never get bored...

Edit: Gosh I almost forgot Final Fantasy VIII, loved Squall to death when I was younger and the gunblades were the epitome of cool for me back then...

18. Djaz

Djaz Member

May 5, 2012
    Dwarven Fortress

19. jthreatt44

jthreatt44 Member

Apr 22, 2012
    There's a lesser-known game made by Squaresoft called Einhander for the PSX which was a rare gem of a shooter. 15 years later, I could pop it in and still enjoy it.

(yay first post :D)

20. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    The whole Advance Wars series.