Making a game in 72 hours

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by rhansson, Jan 6, 2010.

1. rhansson

rhansson Well-Known Member

I am thinking about starting producing a game tonight and finish it within 72 hours.

Do you guys think it's possible to good iPhone game in that time without any preparation? So good that it turns out to be a top seller?

You opinion would be appreciated.

/Rasmus

2. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    A good iPhone game takes time. Unless you already got started or have art assets done, I doubt it would sell well.

3. rhansson

I know, I've done 3 games in the past and the first one we spent 6 months on and it didn't even sell that well, although it had over 40K downloads in 2 days and got up on the top lists.

There are however so many simple games with no impressive assets on the appstore that has become successful?

4. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    72 hours? I mean, thats a lot to do within such a short amount of time..it'd definitely be interesting to see how it turned out though :D

5. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Those with bad/normal graphics usually have some form of gameplay that is interesting or present a new concept.

6. rhansson

#6 rhansson, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    Well I decided to give it a shot. I actually got the idea a couple of hours ago so I'm going to put it up on a Website where I talk about the progress. It's going to be quite a challenge but a fun one for sure!

7. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    it is totally do-able. if you have the experience and know-how

for example; i wrote my chain rxn clone (http://www.mobile1up.com/chain-rxn) in around 4 hours. but i had a lot of code which i could re-use and expand upon. i released it for free - and got thousands of downloads before the "facebook" guys decided i was infringing on their rights (they have their own version); even after they refused to answer my emails 2-3 months before.

don't let that deter you - do it. see what you create. if you need more than 72 hours; big deal :p

8. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Well-Known Member

Of course it's possible. How long do you think it would take to knock out Tetris? Any programmer worth their salt could do that in under 72 hours. Obviously, Tetris itself has been done and wouldn't make it, but that kind of simple, catchy game can still be a big seller if you get it right.

Is it likely, on the otherhand? Nope. Not even slightly.

9. cocojumbo

cocojumbo Member

Jan 6, 2010
    I think you could do top seller in 24 hours,
    App Store is full of toys that are useless.

10. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Why not? Bob Dylan wrote "Blowin´In The Wind" in 5 Minutes. Go for it. :)

11. DogTownStudios

DogTownStudios Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
  12. Manojalpa

Manojalpa Active Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Game Producer
    Ithaca, NY
    Woot! Go for it! Tipoli was originally designed during the 48 hour Global Game Jam. We got our main mechanic, characters, storyline, and objects all finished in that time.

Of course... then it took us 8 months part time to take away the cell shading so we could put it on the app store and add in all the extra content/levels. But the mechanic was there and golden :)

13. DogTownStudios

DogTownStudios Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
  14. exosyphen

exosyphen Well-Known Member

offtopic ... what's up with the coats and hats? Is it cold there !?

Where is the coffee?
    Trying to make games without coffee is like trying to drive a car without gas :)

Good luck, on behalf of a fellow developer!

15. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    you guys in SF? that's wht I look like all the time in my house, tons of clothes, hat,e tc.

16. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

You guys should call yourself "Team Hat" -- your game looks sweet so far, keep it up!

17. rhansson

It's cold in here, even LA gets a little taste of the winter. We're sitting in a garage with no insulation and heater :(

18. Dizturbing Appz

Dec 28, 2009
    Dev
    Honduras
    I got 2 say im really diggin the live cam feed its like i could watch ur every move hahahaha :D

Really wish i could see the development on the computer screen though so i watch and learn hehehe get it? :D

19. davecazz

davecazz Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

You should go for it, my first project took 10 hours, second project took 1 weekend, initial pocket god release took 1 week. I think these sprint projects are perfect because it forces you to think out of the box. Then, if people like it, just start supporting it like crazy. We would have never done pocket god if we had more than a week to work on it.