Universal Sword of Xolan (by Dev of Manuganu Series) Goblin Sword-esque Adventure/Platformer

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    From the developer of the Manuganu series that I personally really enjoyed, is Sword of Xolan. It's an authentically retro-styled adventure platformer with all the lovely stuff that entails. It's already been enjoyable enough that I'd say to anyone that enjoys the genre, that they should definitely consider picking it up. Anyway, I'll play some more, get some detailed impressions down and come back to the thread, if you have any questions let me know! This is the information I have on the game itself:

AppName : Sword Of Xolan
    Genre : Action - Role Playing
    Platform : iOS
    Release Date : May 21, 2015
    Price : $0.99
    Developer : Alper Sarıkaya

- 30 Handcrafted Adventure Levels

- 9 Time-Based Challenge Levels

- 3 "End Of Act" Bosses

- Over 30 different Enemies like: Zombies, Giants and Flying Creatures

- 10 Unique Game-Cards to improve Xolan's skill

- Customizable Touch Controls

- MFI Controller Support

- 19 GameCenter Achievements

- Original Soundtrack by Burak Karakaş

- Premium Game without IAP or Ads

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    WOW! I mean.... WOW!

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah, this seriously looks like Game of the Year material. It's too early to say but this seriously looks like it could go toe to toe with Goblin Sword as one of the quintessential iOS platformers.

Also, the Manuganu games were THE shit.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Looks great. Roll on late May !

5. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Looks amazing, and if this just can tickle the very high bar of Goblin Sword slightly from inderneath, i'm a very happy day one customer. Of course i'm hoping it to be on par, at least. Trying to stay calm and not getting hyped ;)

6. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Couldn't be anymore excited. Old school looking platformer that's premium and no IAP or BS....

SOLD

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Managed to get a copy of this. VERY impressed. Love platformers and retro graphics. Plays very well. Would love to press fire and after a few seconds you go down a level (like ravenous games) instead of swiping but it's not a major problem

Very impressed with the graphics. Gameplay is great with hidden areas etc

Highly recommended

8. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    ^^^ lucky you, and great to read: highly recommended. Glad i'm having enough other games, otherwise i could find some time to get jealous, lol.

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Since I'm off tomorrow, I'll have a detailed write-up about the game ready. :) Just want to say that if you love platformers, you'll absolutely love this. It's a lot like Goblin Sword in a few ways, but it's got an identity of its own. It's a wonderful little game, with flawless controls.

Oh, and of course metalcasket disagreeing with psj: I much prefer the swipe to go down gesture rather than having to hold down the jump button and looking like an idiot by jumping in the air before descending. :p

10. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I'm so glad others are enjoying this, I always worry I'll be the only one!

It's a really nice chunky game, if that makes sense. The attacks feel really weighty and the jumping is lovely and precise. With each enemy taking two or three hits, I enjoy the "battles" more than many other platformers. It's an absolute steal for 99c with no IAPs, that I'm entirely sure of.

Great to see it get picked up by Pocket Gamer too (with the same three pics I chose, what a coincidence :p ), I'm amazed it got this close to the release before it was revealed - I'd have quite happily been hyped for months for this one :D

On a sidenote, the developer is one of the nicest guys I've dealt with in gaming. I've never been thanked so much for being given a free game, I really hope he does well with this.

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #11 Exact-Psience, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    Sneaked a couple stages of gameplay (im at work. LOL) and i gotta say im really impressed by this one, but everything was pretty familiar since playing Goblin Sword. To be fair, im only 2 stages in, so i cant wait to see what this game offers that distinguishes it from Goblin Sword. For one, i see the upgrade system in the main menu which i cant wait to start unlocking.

For what it does that i have seen, it does everything as good as Goblin Sword. Expect more imps later.

12. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    This looks really boring to play and the pixel art is lame as well.

Now replace "boring" and "lame" in that sentence with "awesome-tastic".

13. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I can't see the spoiler on elsa's post, is it just me?

Played through level one and love it. It does have a feel of goblin sword feel to it, but enough character to stand on it's own merits. Controls work perfect and feel natural for me. I love the Scottish style soundtrack.
    The challenge mode alongside the main adventure is a nice touch too, look forward to working my way through those.

I'll write more later but just wanted to pop on and say it's looking good so far.

14. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    How did everyone get a hold of this?. I feel left out :(

15. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    I'd rather they just release it now so I can buy it.

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Pete hooked me up with a promo code. Thanks pete! :)

Despite the similarities with Goblin Sword, this game does everything it covers right. I mean i want more Goblin Sword, and this is the answer. The upgrade system makes a huge difference between these titles, im really liking it.

Easy decision to say this is highly recommended once it goes live on the appstore.

17. new_ipodtouch5G_owner

new_ipodtouch5G_owner Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Canada
    Sword of Xolan looks like a great game, i really like the pixel art style of the game and i also enjoyed the gameplay video clip.

For as long as i can remember, i've always had a weakness for words games, and most recently started to enjoy puzzle games. However i am not very familiar with platformer games on the iOS, but i am willing to try. Would it be recommended to pick up Goblin Sword 1st or wait?

18. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    This looks beautiful and amazing. I've been lurking for far too long to go without saying something lol

19. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Awesome!

Hey m'Lady Lavender
    Tho im late, to You 7 all Mothers
    #HAPPY MOTHERS DAY#

The genre for this year is golden

20. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Gorgeous! Instant buy! By the way, why making this game so cheap? You could easily ask 3 to 5 dollars for it, I mean if I love a game I'll pay whatever I need to get it