Android "exclusives" game thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by defred34, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I recieved a Nexus 7 for Christmas from a friend and returned it. Earlier this year I sold a Kindle Fire I recieved last Christmas-it's too tied in to the Amazon ecosystem and I don't want To deal with yet another walled garden.

I kind of wish I kept the Nexus though, mainly for one reason - Emulation. As it is, I don't have any portable device (I'm not jb'ing my iphone) that is powerful enough, has emulators available, and provides the access to the filesystem required.

oh yeah, about those 74 cores...it doesn't mean anything. It's how the chip is used, the voltage, memory speed, memory bus speed, memory cache size, instruction sets, how threads are handled, how the OS takes advantage of each core, how the display is drawn, etc...a core isn't a mystical computing god, it's just a part of the architecture of a chip, be it CPU, GPU, SOC, etc.

A company (it would be a very strange one) could create a chip with 100 cores, each a miniaturized 8086 chip. I think it would be pretty slow ;). For a long time, my overclocked P4 chip was still blazing past multicore offerings. Yeah, that's not a graphics card, but still.

Skyrim chugs on my current PC, even though my graphics card has over 200 cores.

2. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Lol. He seems to be getting negative reactions everywhere. Must've been quite the character.

3. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Interesting. Care to share a little more about your earnings for both platforms? Like by how much more do you earn on android as compared to ios.

4. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    An Android exclusive that I've been playing on the Nexus is Kairosoft's Beastie Bay. Definitely their best one yet, kind of a Pokemon flavour to it. As someone has already pointed out however, its pretty inevitable that it comes to iOS eventually.

5. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    I'm happy to share the splits, it's about 60:40 in Android's favour.

6. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Ok. But how much more do you spend on android, or is it the same in terms of cost optimizing the game for both platforms?

7. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Should be higher still if Google ever bother getting the prepay play cards into the UK stores that's one of the main reasons I haven't been buying apps/games there. I think it's the same everywhere else but the US.

8. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    We develop our stuff to alpha on a PC and then "port" them. Doesn't take long.

9. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Ok, I understand. What I meant was, is the cost of optimizing it for Android higher than iOS? Cause Android has a much wider hardware/software range.

If its the same, then you should really do some writings. Lots of devs look down upon Android and say it is hard developing for Android, piracy bla bla bla. Yet you show otherwise, and that you can in fact make more on Android!

You can change such perception!

10. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    It doesn't take long now, but it's been a long road and we still get occasional complaints about compat. It's not an easy option though to be fair, fragmentation is a nightmare.

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yes he was :rolleyes:

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #32 Vovin, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

He's still in a lot of Androud forums, just in case somebody misses him.

13. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    What I don't understand is then how did he manage to rack up almost 1.5 k posts before getting exterminated?

14. mrsamsa

mrsamsa Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Alberta
  15. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    #35 RCranium666, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    Ikaruga just became available but it might only be available on the Japanese play store. :( Tried to buy it but no joy for us shmup fans.