Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer in a free game?
Free game with Ads displayed 4 66.67%
Free game with In App Purchases 2 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2013, 06:41 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Free games are good if theyre like 'shareware', eg download a game for free, get some levels free, if you like it then pay to unlock it but those games seem quite rare.

A freemium game isnt good (in my eyes) but i know they're popular
I understand what you are saying...i personally as well dont like the games which force me to pay up money to win....
Old 12-13-2013, 06:58 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolicode View Post
I have been asking this question to a lot of people and the general consensus is that we should release paid apps....if thats the general consensus then why is that its so difficult to sell paid apps....i mean free games get downloaded in huge numbers and by sheer volume get a huge amount of revenue...
That's the weird and unfortunate dichotomy of the App Store, or maybe it seems that way because of the vocal majority here on Toucharcade. Unless it's free to try with a full game unlock or true free to play like Deadly Bullet or pre-update Beat Leap, I have no patience for freemium titles

I'll gladly support a developer who releases a paid game, because 1) I feel it takes a certain amount of confidence and trust in your game to release a paid app amidst the looming landscape of IAP-heavy and freemium titles on the App Store and 2) I just like having the full experience up front, uninterpreted with ads or timers or needed to grind incessantly to make any kind of progress thanks to progression flow designed around buying currency packs.

Sadly I think the mindset is only shared among the hardcore gamers on forums such TA, NeoGAF, and other IOS centric communities, while the general public will always gravitate towards the free games and buying IAP. Of course, there are success stories as well, just look at Badland.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:44 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoSplash View Post
What happens if you buy the tripler and it's still grindy? Buy the quadrupler?
Why would you buy a tripler if it's still going to be grindy? That's a x3 multiplier, you should already "feel" how the tripler will affect the game while playing without it.

Also, if it does happen that eventually a tripler still makes things grindy, then the game is better deleted for some dessert recipe apps.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:03 PM
In Time-Out
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Ads with iap to remove them.

or much much better, just set a price and don't make it free. If it's a good game it'll sell. I've no problems with paying for decent games.