Universal Alien Tribe 2 - A 4X Real-Time Strategy Space Game

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ritter, Dec 13, 2013.

1. ritter

ritter Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    CEO Ritter Mobile
    Munich, Germany
    #1 ritter, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    Alien Tribe 2 is an indie 4X real-time strategy (RTS) space game for the iPad (and now iPhone). Here, a Universe Sandbox meets real-time strategy and a pinch of Tower Defence. Explore the galaxy and and find solar systems. Populate the numerous planets and extract different raw materials. Build weapons platforms for defence and research centres to improve your skills. Should the raw materials of the discovered planet not be sufficient for you, scan the space for asteroids and extract additional raw materials there.

The 4X approach of "eXplore", "eXpand", "eXploit" and "eXterminate" is supported by over 45 missions / quests of the areas of "Military", "Economy", "Exploration" & "Expansion". This means that the player is constantly faced with new challenges and once a player successfully completes a mission / quest, he is then rewarded with new build options, research points, the in-game currency called GEO or other various items.

Alien Tribe 2 is now available for a reduced price of 2.99 USD in the App Store:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alien-tribe-2-4x-rts-space/id653463017?mt=8

Here is the a teaser trailer and some screenshots. It would be great if you could leave some feedback or like our facebook page.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alientribe2

Alien Tribe 2 Teaser Trailer:

Some Screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Visit us at Alien Tribe 2.

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    This looks pretty good

3. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    It is pretty good. Anyone who enjoyed Weird Worlds, or is a fan of 4X RTS should get this. It's actually quite deep but the controls are straight forward as well as the tutorial.

4. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Just bought it. I like the interface and and the ships/planets are crisp and smoothly animated. The first thing I do these days is dig around for IAPs and I found some here. You can buy green energy orbs (also found in-game but I have no idea how generous heir distribution is yet) which seem to be used for shortcuts and cheats (all weapons now, fast colonization, etc). At least I hope that's what they are because if it turns out that the game is balanced so that they are necessary, I will be very disappointed.

More impressions forthcoming.

5. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I am such a sucker for these types of games. I saw it on appshopper and came here about to make a main post with the link. Luckily someone else saw it ahead of me. The only thing holding me to the fence is the IAP currency... I'd like to hear more input on how balanced the game feels before I take the plunge!

6. Unfrozen

Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    It seems well balanced. I didn't even realize about the IAP and played it for half a day yesterday.

7. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    That's been my experience as well. So far, I'm really enjoying it. Hope it gets some traction.

8. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I'm pretty intolerant of consumable IAPs but these feel like an afterthought - which is exactly how they should feel.

9. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

Before taking the plunge I was going to try the first one as I saw on here that it was free. But it appears to be removed from the App Store (UK) can anyone confirm?

Love 4x games and am very tempted in trying this one.

10. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    It's so easy to overlook games like this. Why? Because of all of the completely linear, browser-based timer Facebook-style "games" (more like screensavers) which have infested the appstore. I see something like this, my natural inclination is to assume it's another "fake" game...or MOBA-whatever the kids call them.

Now shoo! Offa my lawn!

11. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Quick question for the dev-why has the original been free since last year? I'm downloading that first...if I find a premium game turned freemium-no go.

12. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Nevermind. The TA app shows this dev had several other apps available, and they don't appear to be anymore. That's a cardinal sin for me. Pass.

13. Unfrozen

Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    Your loss. I personally forgo the detailed background check when it comes to a $3 game.

14. inginious

inginious New Member

May 9, 2012
    It looks heavily dependent on IAP!!

Pass.

15. inginious

inginious New Member

May 9, 2012
    Yup, removed from the US AppStore as well... That's shady!

16. ritter

ritter Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    CEO Ritter Mobile
    Munich, Germany
    First of all I want to introduce my self. I am a part of the Alien Tribe 2 team and thanks for playing Alien Tribe 2 and talking about the game. Here are my comments:

@In-App Purchases
    You don't need to buy any In-App purchases to play Alien Tribe 2 or to succeed in Alien Tribe 2. We had a BIG discussion about integrating In-App purchases and you can blame me that they are now integrated. The main developer (which is actually the one and only developer and the man behind the game) was strictly against In-App purchases and he said "I will never ever integrate buy-to-win s%$! in my game". Yes, you can buy GEOs now in Alien Tribe 2 but it is not really necessary. It's more like a cheat option. All the extras that you can buy with GEOs you can also accomplish during the game except the Zeus Wargun. But you can even have this extra because you can collect GEOs during the game and they will be valid if you play a new game. We think about to activate the Zeus Wargun as a standard weapon in one of the next updates.

@Alien Tribe 1 and the other games
    We removed Alien Tribe 1 one from the App Store because we think it doesn't represent Ukando Software anymore. Alien Tribe 1 was free but you couldn't succeed without buying the In-App purchases. This is now different with Alien Tribe 2 - you can easily succeed without buying the Inn-App purchases. We also invested alot of money and time to create Alien Tribe 2. We hired a graphic artist, sound FX guy and so on. Alien Tribe 1 development was over 12 month and the game made less than 1K in over 12 months. When my friend (the one and only developer) contacted me about the game I was a little bit sceptical. Once I understood the game I decided to help him but I knew we would need a couple of month to make this game the way it is now. If you played Alien Tribe 1 you can see how many things have improved. Alien Tribe 1 was bad balanced and there was no tutorial or help system, market place etc. We changed so many things and invested another 10 month to develop Alien Tribe 2. Ukando Software also made another game called Decoloro which was the first game he ever wrote. It is a totally different type of game and we think to put it back on the App Store but it does not represent Ukando Software now.

We always wanted to create a game with passion because were like playing games. If you have any questions please let us know. If you have any ideas to make this game better please post it here or on our facebook site (https://www.facebook.com/alientribe2).

17. valkyre

valkyre Active Member

Dec 15, 2013
    I can confirm this. This game is very good and it you really don't need the in-app purchases. I played it today for hours without buying GEOs. For less than 3$ it is really a good deal.

One tip for other players: Build a solar storage as soon as possible! :)

18. Unfrozen

Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    #18 Unfrozen, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    Thanks for the tip Valkyrie. I totally agree the IAP isn't required, and it certainly isn't present is your face all the time (it wasn't until I read on here and went poking around the menus that I discovered the IAP store).

If you are a 4X fan, or you are seeking a deeper RTS game this is definitely worth getting. It seems to be the love child of Weird Worlds and Starbase Orion. I've got a page on my iPad dedicated to 4X, but I clear out games regularly if they are disappointing. This one will remain on my iPad.

19. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    The Devs really need to work on their game title before it's released next time.
    I mean, maybe they don't have to go all out to state the obvious.

It's like saying
    Quake: The FPS where you shoot nails an' stuff.
    Or
    Infinity Blade: A swishy, hitty, swordy kind of thing.

20. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I have a long and cranky history of raging against consumable IAPs (search my posts if you doubt that) and I stand by my earlier assessment. Good game. Truly unnecessary IAPs (unlike, say PVZ2).

Although the name is indeed awkward, I don't think I would have given it a second thought if I hadn't seen 4X in the title...