The Do's and Don'ts of selling apps.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dancerdudes, Jun 29, 2010.

1. dancerdudes

dancerdudes Active Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Hello!

I have been around this forum a lot. This website is one of my daily visited sites.

I have just lately gone from the jailbroken world to the "legit" world.

During the past 2 weeks I have been experimenting with how apps are distributed. I have been seeing what is so appealing for the customers to buy and play apps.

Now onto the real subject.

I mostly look at EA, Gameloft, Chillingo, and of course Ngmoco. What makes those apps what they are: 1. They have real photo's from the game not imaginary screens. I HATE when developers just take unreal photo's of the game, or of the menu. I can't stand it! I don't know what the game is! I don't know if I should buy it, and hope it is worth the 2.99 I spent on it. 2. Sales - I just recently bought over $20 of apps, all from Gameloft, and EA, I even got into the Ragdoll 2 deals. I notice that smaller companies have to have the 1.99-2.99 that they make on it. If you put up a sale for at least 1 of your apps that was decent, and was VERY addicting and went well on the market, most likely people will look at your other apps. I know I do! Being a 15 year old, If I love an app, I will look for more games that are worth the .99 I spent on it.

Now the some things that developers shouldn't do:

1. Free apps. I hate when there is a lite version. I first of all look over the app. I know alot of people who don't have any money, or don't actually pay for apps love your app! but for me, it is a turn-off. Why would I waste my good bandwidth to download a free app that I will be done in 2 seconds anyways? The free app may be good, but in that time that you spent actually cutting and hacking your app into 1 level or something like that, you might have well as just made a quick .99 sale.

Now the some things that developers should do:

1. They should sell free apps, then incorporate the in-app purchases for the entire game BUT don't overcharge for the DLC. Anything over 2.99 for DLC is too much for me! Offer the rest of the game in that 2.99.

2. Advertise! Get your stuff out there! Post on Toucharcade, Xsellize, and iPod Touch Fans!!! Even send in an app request on Gizmodo to be featured in their app of the week. It is worth it! People look at it and see, "What an awesome app, I should go and check it out" Rate your own apps on Appshopper for the world to see! Comment on your own things...... I like when developers say "thanks" to people that love their app, or when people negatively review an app, say something like "What can we do to fix it?" Consolidate those people! Send out a newsletter and ask "What can we do to make our app as amazing as possible"

Well just my insight :D

Advice from a 15 year old, who loves being in the app business! :)

2. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Thank God a 15 year old just solved the entire app industry!

Nah but that wasnt a bad read tbh. I disagree with you on some points like the lite version though.

3. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    You are aware that you don't have to download the lite version and you can just get the full version. right? :confused:

4. dancerdudes

Dec 24, 2009
    I can't always buy 3.99-9.99 apps. Anyways they usually have lite versions that are as big as the full apps! I don't want to download 129mb for a stupid lite version!

5. dancerdudes

Dec 24, 2009

The people that are developing apps are targeting people my age. If they are targeting my age, and I have a problem with some apps developed, I usually try to tell them what I want, and what I should see in a game.

6. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I thought it was a great post. Lots of insight into the thinking of someone in one of the major "target markets" of the app store. And congratulations on going "legit" too!

7. KDR_11k

KDR_11k Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Time to replace that 28.8k modem with something new, eh?

8. dancerdudes

Dec 24, 2009
    My internet is worse... I can only download 350mb's per day, but from the hours of 12:00-5:00 I have unlimited usage. My dad doesn't want to share his time in order to download apps..... so I have to survive through the day and wish that I could stop in somewhere where there is wireless.... Belize doesn't really have any of those places :D

9. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    #9 Qordobo, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
    Here where fail all your "demonstration" not all app are .99 sale, play something else than 1$ games, and buy once a crap at 10$, you'll see it differently.

Myself I almost never buy a game above 2$ before to try a demo, and even for buying a 1$ or 2$ game without a demo it better have very good reviews or be right inside my current favorites type of games.

EDIT: Anyway the original argument is void anyway, don't get the lite versions if you don't like them and let them for other who enjoy. Let other live their life and they'll let live yours. :D

10. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Doubt it. They are targeting people my age and older (20+). Mainly targeting the 18-35 demographic. So no, not really. The iPhone has games but its not a kids toy like you seem to think it is.

11. dancerdudes

Dec 24, 2009

I see what you are saying... I didn't really think about free apps until you mentioned that.. If I see an app worth 4.99, and it has a free version, I usually ignore the free one. I look at the price, 4.99... I think whether or not my working minimum wage for an hour is worth that much. Then I sign on to appshopper and put it in my "Want" app, then it notifies me if it is on sale :D