Is Need for Speed: Shift better than Real Racing?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Somerandomdude, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I'm now considering the purchase of Shift since it went on sale, but I'm just curious if it's better than Real Racing. It seems so, and it looks like it'd have more features and more of an arcade feeling, which I enjoy. I'm not a huge racing fan, but I do like the games and I enjoyed Undercover ALOT. Is it worth the purchase?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

They're both worth owning, it's really hard to say which is the better of the two.

From our preview-

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    If you like Undercover, you will likely dig Shift. Personally, I prefer the ability to manually accelerate in Real Racing, but I have to admit that NFS: Shift is pretty damn impressive, even to someone who didn't care for Underground.

4. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Hmm... They both sound good though... I'm trying to make the decision. I probably won't get Real Racing but I'm really looking at this one now and I definetly have the money to make the purchase.

5. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    #5 weedeatinflyincougar, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
    The only thing I didn't like about Shift was the arcade aspect; I really didn't like the whole get X amount of stars to advance, especially when it came to the drift events.

EDIT: Also, another thing I didn't like was that the AI in Shift is not as aggressive as Real Racing's AI.

6. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I have Real Racing and it is pretty amazing. If I already own NFSU, is there no point in getting NFSS? Are they too similar?

7. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Deleted both RR and NFSU after 15 minutes playing Shift.

8. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    I might get this for the realistic aspect. I just need a semi-realistic racer and I think that Real Racing is just too realistic for me, not enough arcade elements. Plus with a better career mode, I think I might go for it. I'm also looking at Asphalt 5 too (yes, I had to throw another one into the mix. Sorry) due to its arcade elements and Burnout-like gameplay. One question on that though, how are the takedowns? If they're hard to do or just not impressive I think I'll skip it.

9. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA

Did you try the lite version of RR?

Real Racing GTI

Get a taste of the excitement, competition and glory of championship racing with Real Racing GTI, the free “demo” versio…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Get a taste of the excitement, competition and glory of championship racing with Real Racing GTI, the free “demo” version of Real Racing 1, and sponsored by Volkswagen to introduce the 2010 GTI.

★ Drive six all-new 2010 GTI sport hatches and unlock achievements

★ Battle against the clock and the world in a Time Trial. Submit your time to the online leaderboard and post a video replay on YouTube.

★ Compete in a Quick Race against five other cars on the main track, or enter the GTI Cup and fight for overall position across three tracks.

★ Achievements and leaderboard support Game Center and non-Game Center devices.

★ Awesome, high quality, retina display graphics.

With over 7 million downloads already, buckle in and check it out for yourself now – the race is in your hands!
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Action, Racing
    Release:Oct 22, 2009
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (2)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

10. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah, I played it back when it came out. I was just curious of how much of an improvement/downgrade it was from RR to Shift, so I could have something to compare it to.

11. johnwayne

johnwayne Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Germany
    Definately better than rr though rr is really nice.

Nfs shift is missing replay mode, vibration and multiplayer for more replay value, but gameplay, handling and sounds are just to great. If firemint updates their graphics engine (tracks, 3gs lightning effects) it could be a hard decision.

Their game is imho a bit outdated, hope they update it.

12. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Well you can't really compare them..

Need for Speed Undercover- Arcade
    Need for Speed Shift- ArcadeSim
    Real Racing- Sim

I have them all and they are all worth the purchase. Just depends how much you want another racing game.

13. Ajg3

Ajg3 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Lala Land
    I did a thread about this

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Um, if you like watching your car go in 'autopilot' and race opponents that don't know you're their and somehow always catch up..then yes.

Otherwise, stick with RR.

15. sk8erdude50

sk8erdude50 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    i have real racing and would be happy to trade it for shift anyday. But im not going to buy it because rr is actually pretty good, just not better than shift, but shift does not have manual accelerate which killed it for me so i will buy it when that happens. U might want to do the same, but if u r eager for a racer, get shift

16. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I'm actually ok with the auto accelerate, when playing Real Racing I didn't realize all of the control options until way after I bought it. so I got used to it

17. dommur

dommur Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2009
    pm me ill tell u
    wow i wouldn't go as far as deleting RR and NFSU after playing NFSS, but it is worth getting

18. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

NFSS has no online stuff, as far as i know only city curses and even on a 3GS it does not run as smooth as RR runs on a 2G. So, for me, Shift was one of the worst racers I ever bought for the iPhone (followed by Krazy Kart).

19. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Get Shift,

Real Racing is still good, but Shift is more... entertaining.

20. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008