Is there such a thing as a not-free update?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MasterChief3624, Dec 6, 2009.

1. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I keep seeing "Free Update" around here... Free update this, free update that. Even on iTunes, "Download all Free Updates". I'm not complaining of course, but I'm wondering: Is there actually such a thing as an update that you have to pay for?

With all the billions of free updates out there, I have never seen an update that you have to pay for. So is there/has there been an update before that you had to pay for?

2. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
  3. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    it's not an update though

4. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I've been wondering for a while as well. Could any developer tell us if there's an option for a paid update?

5. There is no option for paid updates.

The closest thing would be DLC or releasing a new app, and calling it Blah Blah 2.

6. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    I thought there was an option to make paid updates...

Or, instead of Blah Blah 2, you could make a $39.99 app called Blah Blah 4000 respect points or whatever.

7. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Yeah, that's kinda weird. Back in the days of 2.X firmware they would always say "free update" as if they were going to one day suddenly charge you for updates. I was always waiting to go in to iTunes one day and under the updates section find "Buy Update" somewhere. I guess the word Free is eye catching, and so they use it to attract potential customers.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It's a marketing gimmick: the idea is that you always use the word "free," even if it's already implied, because it draws attention. That's why you see "Free Gift" used all the time, even though, by definition, a gift is always free.

9. Bullroarer

Bullroarer Active Member

Nov 6, 2009
    And the gift is only free with a $10 purchase :p