Universal Bike Baron - (by Mountain Sheep & Qwiboo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TimoVihola, Oct 19, 2011.

1. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Agreed, the medium levels themselves are quite tough. There needs to something between easy and medium. Also there could be a "speed" stage. Those kind of levels are always fun.

And what three finger method?

2. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    The way to climb up the pyramids, holding the left and right button with 2 fingers while pressing Go with the other.

3. farley

farley Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    This...

4. qwiboo

qwiboo Well-Known Member

There is a possibility that it may be done some time in the future, but the priority is not high on that one. We had only few people requesting it, if we get more requests for that type of controls we may do it sooner.

Biggest problem is that tilt controls just don't work well enough, and we don't want to put something imperfect in such a great game as Bike Baron is ;)

5. deto

deto Active Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Artist, Developer, Designer
    #485 deto, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
    We're definitely planning on adding more, and "easier" levels very soon! :)

6. bigview

bigview Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Thanks, finally got all 3 goals. Basically tried doing what you said and I got lucky a few times.

7. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    The best part about this game for me is, just when I hit my ceiling for getting stars, I don’t get pissy.

I just go here (http://bikebaron.blogspot.com/) and download some awesome user entries.

Some of the levels are pure genius and it’s like getting a free expansion pack everytime I find a nice gem.

8. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm only missing 1 star from Father Vladimir and 1 from Sawbones now, and I'm starting to get pissy over my failure to 3 star them. So I'll take your advice instead :)

9. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    YAY!!! TA Review frontpage, seems like a glowing review with mentions of extreme difficulty....

10. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    :) I just got 1 star in Joker Cat 3. I'm sure others have done it by now but damn, probably my proudest achievement in iOS gaming.

11. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Bump:

Father Vladimir... How do i get a good run through the second stack of planks? I have achieved 40 sec trial there, but this section seems purely random

12. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    That, and is the first coin on Sawbones a joke?! you are supposed to fall down the vertical beams, right? So how you reach the damned coin? I suppose this a puzzler more than biking skills, but my mind is numb with all the explosions.

13. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    See post #438 and #439. Tictac explains how to get that coin, and provided a screen shot.

As for Father Vladimir, are you talking about the planks after the first checkpoint? For those, I would wheelie into them as hard as possible to knock them over the barrels. However, it seems to take a bit of luck to not crash in the process.

14. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #494 eev, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
    trying to play some hard and impossible levels and the game at that stage is just so random if you got the trick right or not. and the tooth map is just a joke.

15. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    I actually think that the hard levels are very well designed. I felt like they had just the right balance of difficulty without feeling cheap.

However, that does not include Joker Cat 3 or Dragon's Teeth. Both of those levels feel more about luck than anything. I know folks have mastered the teeth on Dragon's Teeth, but I just went back to try it out, and 5 minutes into it I'm ready to rip my iPhone in half. The physics ruin it for me. I don't think those teeth hold up well in an physics-based game. The motorcycle pretty much gets skewered every time, and the sensitivity is mind-numbing -- one extra left or right button press, and the Baron violently flips into a tooth and dies. For me, it is all about luck -- will I get skewered on this tooth or not?

16. VonWillebrand

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    #496 VonWillebrand, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
    While there is too much randomness in the physics it IS possible to do a lot of things if you're methodical and consistent. Sure, failures will still happen but they will be fewer in number. Usually there's some specific trick to clearing difficult parts, you just have to figure it out. Obviously this means a lot of restarts and some people do not find this fun. Then again, games these days are designed to be way too easy. Used to be different way back, like 20 years ago.

I got Joker Cat 3 under a minute now. Still almost 25 seconds off the 2 star limit at 35 seconds (or was it 33 sec). :D I know it's not going to happen until they release an update and relax the time limits a bit. At least I got the no crash star so don't have to worry about exploding on the bomb bridge. In any case I find the bomb bridge easier to clear fast from a total standstill after a checkpoint reset.

17. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    #497 mikeg123, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
    I totally agree with you about the difficulty of games. I by no means want them to dumb the game down or make it easier. I really enjoyed the challenge of the harder levels, and even Extreme King's Castle. I originally thought the hard levels were too hard, but with a little practice they became quite simple. I'm one of those people that can retry a level hundreds of times until I get it.

Granted, JC3 really isn't that hard -- it is only the bomb bridge that is cheap and random. And Dragon's Teeth really isn't that bad, except for the teeth. That second obstacle took me about 40ish minutes to figure out a way to reliably pass it. However, the teeth are just a no go for me. And getting skewered in the middle of your motorcycle should be a no-no. I'm positive that wasn't intended at all, and is just a side effect of the physics engine, but it is really frustrating nonetheless. Yes, you can hold back and accelerate to raise back up, but it always throws me off and I end up dying shortly after.

So I'm all for the addition of harder levels. I just want levels where it is about skill (King's Castle for example) instead of the physics engine interfering.

EDIT: Go figure, I just tried Dragon's Teeth and got past the teeth for the second time! I got skewered about 4 times though, but I was able to recover. Now maybe I can actually finish the level if I can figure out the ending.

EDIT 2: Woohoo!!! Finally finished Dragon's Teeth in 6:41!

18. VonWillebrand

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    The dragon's teeth are way harder than the bomb bridge. I've tried it a few times after getting 1 star - can't do it consistently. As a matter of fact I fail 8 times out of 10. :D So there's pretty much no hope for additional stars. Mad props to those of you who have 3 stars on that track!

19. deto

deto Active Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Artist, Developer, Designer
    The next update makes a few changes there so JC3 should be more like rest of the hard levels (even if closer to the end scale in difficulty) and little less like the extreme levels! I don't know how I managed to make it so dang difficult... I guess I was getting too used to playing the joker baron 4 and the JC3 just felt too easy :rolleyes:

As for the extreme levels. I know very many people have called Mountain Sheep level designers sadistic (that's me!) but there's actually a crazy logic there. You see... Mostly you slowly progress from easy to hard, but in extreme the progression just goes through the roof :rolleyes: Like, King's Castle is 1.5x harder than JB3, Dragon's Teeth is 4.5x harder than first extreme level and the Darklord's Cradle (original name of the JB4) is 13.5x harder than the second extreme level.

Congrats on passing Dragon's Teeth!

20. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I understand the need for more intermediate levels, but some of you are complaining to the point where it's clear where the industry of games stands. Games to many are meant to provide challenge and test your abilities. Gamers nowadays seem so babied in that whenever they have the option of choosing difficulty for a game, they choose the easiest option. Sure, games are more like movies more than ever, so playing for an enjoyable experience is understandable in some cases, but complaining that a level is too hard and begging for easy ones is something I hate to see and see way to often. If the game had all easy-medium levels, you'd be finished in an hour or less with little to no challenge. What's the point with a non-cinematic game like this?