Universal Swordigo (by Touch Foo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 21, 2012.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Only 15% through for me. But I'm taking it slow. Want to enjoy every minute of this one and I don't want it to end!

Hope they do sell enough for a sequel.

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    This game sounds so good and intriguing by reading all the posts that I just rushed through Evertales in order to finish it. That was the deal: no more buying new (platform) games until a game like Evertales gets finished first.
    Knowing how short it was I feel really happy and content I finished yet another iOS title, which is rare these days.
    Now I feel justified buying this. But somehow I cannot help myself and wait for a review, since you guys almost make it sound too good to be true... ;)

3. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Just got this game and its great!!

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Funny, I did the same thing. And, if you take away the graphical differences, I think you'll see just how much better this game is.

A few others commented that there wasn't anything on the iOS to compare this to. Evertales is the only thing that I can think of that is remotely similar. But this has more RPG elements, puzzles and level design that is just so much better (not to mention much longer), that it leaves Evertales in the dust.

5. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Yeah I deleted Evertales within about 15min. With this game 15 min don't go by without me wishing I was playing it.

The only problem with all the praise everyone is giving this game is that people might go in with such high expectations that the game might not be able to live up to it. Even though it is totally awesome.

So, go in with the expectations that this game is just as crappy as Evertales. ;)

6. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    Really? I have both, and the RPG elements of Swordigo are what sets it apart; not to mention, a much better flow, higher addictive factor (imo) and even the control feels a lot better. Paper Monsters is no doubt, well done and has its own style, but after the first level, I put it aside (to certainly come back to), where I kept sticking with Swordigo until I had to stop myself to get some sleep. This opinion is based off the iPad version.

7. Bdzer

Bdzer Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    I really want to try this game now, I might get it later.

8. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    The game IS living up to the hype that the posters who have played it have given it - the simple fact is we ARE playing it, that's why we are hyped about it.

Still wondering, later in the game do you get an ability to jump higher or some other skill/piece of equipment that enables you to go higher than you normally could? I am trying to get all the chests, but there are a couple that I can't seem to get to - either I haven't figured out the tricky jumps or I truly can't get to them yet. It would save me some time if I knew some equipment or ability would help me get them later - otherwise, I'll keep wasting time hoping I can just jump a little better and get them.

9. knoids

knoids Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    School
    Seattle WA (USA)
    You should. There is not really a reason not to! It's $2!

10. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I was not at all looking for another platform adventure game, but the overwhelmingly positive comments in this thread convinced me I had to try this game. I have no regrets: this is really excellent and has that gotta keep playing special sauce for me. Thanks, fellow TA posters!

11. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    One hundred percent, baby! Woo, what a ride. Kinda sad that it's over though... But definitely one of my favorite games this year. And last year too, actually.

12. mateofalcone

mateofalcone Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Congrats! I'm starting back in right now myself. Amazingly tight controls. For a guy who's never like platformers at all, I was stunned to find I didn't want to put this town last night. Really excellent game, and very worth the entrance fee.

13. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I was thinking of going back in, but I really dislike playing the same game again and again. (It's amazing I still play MMOs at all, actually)

I might replay it to see how fast I can do it in though. Speedrun!

14. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    I actually dislike this game when I saw the trailer. I'm glad I decided to give it a try.

15. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    If you mean just Metroidvania, and not games exactly like this (RPG HACK N SLASH), then... Elemental Rage, though for $5, I'd definitely wait for a sale as its pretty short and has its issues... Dark Insurrection... Though this is yet another title that was chosen to be released Episodically, and only has the first episode, making it about an hour long... Shantae is a GREAT game, and definitely worth getting... Definitely worth the price. Mystery of the Japanese Werewolf is also just a first episode, but definitely worth getting, as the developer is very active here on the forums, and is hard at work on the rest of the game, which I have all confidence will be available soon (for free, in updates), if you have an iPad, Aquaria is really good. Then there's Phoenix Spirit, which is also kind of short, but is an awesome indie title that will give you a very memorable experience.

Then there's a little game that just so happens to be my all time favorite iOS platformer, it requires backtracking to previous levels after getting power ups in order to complete... Miss Claire Garden, which most wouldn't fit into the Metroidvania genre, but I think it has enough elements to be thrown into my Metroidvania folder.

Then a couple with a decent amount of exploration, but no need for power ups or significant backtracking... Terra Noctis (which, ATM, is also incomplete), The Adventures of Timmy, Run Kitty Run - Cordy - Babylon Twins

16. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    This game is pretty amazing. Congrats to the devs.

17. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Synth - nice summary. I'm keeping that post to go back and recheck some I Luis playing, and never checked out Miss Claire Garden.

These devs are great though. I don't think Soosiz ever got the recognition it deserved, but they kept improving it. I hope Swordigo makes them some good coin, and keeps them well in the game.

18. knoids

knoids Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    School
    Seattle WA (USA)
    That's funny because it was the exact same for me! I looked at the trailer and I thought that it was boring and same-looking and the main character looked like a girl (I thought that he was a girl) Then I looked at this thread and got it...And frekin' LOVE IT!

19. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Didn't like from the trailer. Visuais look really bad to me too.

Though given the overwhelmingly positive comments and the fact that I want something new to play, I'll give it a shot. Impressions later. :D

20. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Not a fan of Civilization: Revolution? Because that'll hook you too.